License sales numbers

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Does anyone have any idea how many licenses are sold for a successful synth? I'm thinking something like Serum, Nexus, Omnisphere etc. 10k? 100k? 1 million?

Urs from u-he stated some figures once. I doubt that I could find the thread now though... It was in the thousands to small 10.000s for Zebra, IIRC. Not much, that's for sure.

twelvty.

As a former player in the game, if you are looking to make a living coding plugins, don't. Write security code instead.

Security code is totally boring though. :P

But, ya, if I aimed to make a living, I probably wouldn't do soft synths either.

chk071 wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 11:07 am Urs from u-he stated some figures once. I doubt that I could find the thread now though... It was in the thousands to small 10.000s for Zebra, IIRC. Not much, that's for sure.
I think I remember that, but it was a long time ago. I'd guess plugin user numbers are much higher now. I've heard 50k+ licenses sold for some, and multiple times more for the big names. Even if you 'only' had 10k sales, at £150 each that's £1.5 million in sales. Those aren't bad numbers.

m-ac wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 1:15 pm
chk071 wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 11:07 am Urs from u-he stated some figures once. I doubt that I could find the thread now though... It was in the thousands to small 10.000s for Zebra, IIRC. Not much, that's for sure.
I think I remember that, but it was a long time ago. I'd guess plugin user numbers are much higher now.
I doubt it. I'd assume that Sylenth1 might have higher sales numbers than the u-he plugins, but, I don't think it is much more than that. Really, it's a niche market. Take a look at NI, the biggest player in the business. Mid tier business with 400 employees. I live in a 10k citizen town which has about 3 or 4 of such businesses.

I think the numbers will always be smaller than one can hope for. Especially as piracy is such a big part of the bedroom producers. As that's the case, I would assume initially the numbers could be decent, but with time, the amount of pirated copies would just increase with popularity.

Wouldn't mind hearing someone's perspective of how piracy actually influenced the number of sales as the popularity of the VST increased.
Take care :wink:

chk071 wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 1:27 pm
I think I remember that, but it was a long time ago. I'd guess plugin user numbers are much higher now.
I doubt it. I'd assume that Sylenth1 might have higher sales numbers than the u-he plugins, but, I don't think it is much more than that. Really, it's a niche market. Take a look at NI, the biggest player in the business. Mid tier business with 400 employees. I live in a 10k citizen town which has about 3 or 4 of such businesses.
NI had a turnover of over 1 billion almost 10 years ago. You can bet its a hell of a lot higher than that now.

There's a nexus 3 video that has over half a million views on youtube. That's a lot of targeted viewers, and you can guarantee that a huge majority of them either bought nexus, are thinking of buying (as far as I'm aware, there's no cracked copy). Even if only 5% of the viewers of that video bought nexus 3, thats over 25,000 license sales there alone. I think the revenue from soft synths is a lot more lucrative than a lot of people realise.
Last edited by m-ac on Mon Jun 01, 2020 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Double post x 2
Last edited by m-ac on Mon Jun 01, 2020 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Double post

m-ac wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 2:41 pm
NI had a turnover of over 1 billion almost 10 years ago. You can bet its a hell of a lot higher than that now.
A billion is 1,000,000,000 Dollar, right?
Never do they have such a revenue.

Looking at revenue reports that are available through the German Federal Register, we can paint a clearer picture. It appears as though NI generated €68 million ($75M USD) and about €19 million ($21M) in other operating income. Total revenues for NI were only €88.2 million ($97M) and NI generated €84.6 million in expenses. That means NI only turned €3.6 million ($3.3M) in profit. That’s a severe drop compared to profits reported in 2016 and 2015.
I think the revenue from soft synths is a lot more lucrative than a lot of people realise.
While there are a few companies that are doing great, most are just scraping by. This isn't an industry you go into if you want to get rich. I could probably double my salary going to work for a big tech company.

Calenberger wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 2:48 pm
m-ac wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 2:41 pm
A billion is 1,000,000,000 Dollar, right?
Never do they have such a revenue.
My bad, that might have been turnover up to that point in time. Or it might not be true at all. Or maybe it's right? :lol:

m-ac wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 2:41 pm NI had a turnover of over 1 billion almost 10 years ago. You can bet its a hell of a lot higher than that now.
The yearly revenue of NI in 2018 was around 100 million dollars.
More BPM please

Return to “Instruments”