Looking for feedback -- Is this cheesy?

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

So I don't really know what I'm doing. :-) I took a couple of online classical composition courses, and tried to transfer what I learned to a more modern, "non-classical" setting. I think I did ok with certain things, like variations on a motif, counter-melody, and modulation.

I guess the feedback I'm looking for, though, is how successful I was in achieving that goal. And also, I'm having a hard time judging whether this is "cheesy" or not.

Any feedback appreciated!

https://soundcloud.com/smwaddell/no-contract-1

Thanks for listening.

yes it's cheesy. kind of 80s tv cop drama cheezy. is there a bit of Bach in there too? :)

The composition itself is not bad at all, the sounds you picked, like the bass are not that good in my opinion. They do not really go well togheter. Maybe you should try to pick strings, or other orchestra sounds and put those on a drum pattern. The drum pattern makes it modern too in my opinion since back in the days they did not really use drums in classical songs. the mix is not that good either in my opinion, is it possible I hear clipping? I do not know at all but it sounds crackly at times for me.

Either way, the composition is good in my opinion but the sounds are not that great, mainly the bass sound. specially when you layer them it sounds not that good. Like the piano stuff a lot, very nicely done and the choir is also good but a bit silent so that brings me to the next stop, the mix.

I do not know, I think it could be mixed a bit better and I also think you have clipping or other problems because at times the sound is disorted a bit and/or crackling.
Heavenly Sounds Approved This.

thecontrolcentre wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 5:45 am yes it's cheesy. kind of 80s tv cop drama cheezy. is there a bit of Bach in there too? :)
In what way? Is it the choice of instrumentation? Any resemblance to Bach is purely coincidental. :)

Mozex wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 6:14 am The composition itself is not bad at all, the sounds you picked, like the bass are not that good in my opinion. They do not really go well togheter. Maybe you should try to pick strings, or other orchestra sounds and put those on a drum pattern. The drum pattern makes it modern too in my opinion since back in the days they did not really use drums in classical songs. the mix is not that good either in my opinion, is it possible I hear clipping? I do not know at all but it sounds crackly at times for me.

Either way, the composition is good in my opinion but the sounds are not that great, mainly the bass sound. specially when you layer them it sounds not that good. Like the piano stuff a lot, very nicely done and the choir is also good but a bit silent so that brings me to the next stop, the mix.

I do not know, I think it could be mixed a bit better and I also think you have clipping or other problems because at times the sound is disorted a bit and/or crackling.
Thanks, I appreciate this. I'll take a closer look at the bass -- I thought it was ok but maybe not. I think part of what you're hearing may be the fact that I purposefully chose to use an electric piano sound with some overdrive. But if that's not clear, then I might need to rethink that.

Thanks again.

Interesting! It does kind of sound like the theme song of a forgotten 80s TV cop show that was cancelled after 3 episodes.

Most of all, I think the track suffers from a lack of direction. There's nothing that sticks out - if you think of music as communication, then the equivalent would be someone going on and on about spilling a glass of milk yesterday morning. The composition is a matter of taste, but my advice would be to aim for something. If you could, for example, embrace the cheese for what it is and really run with it, you'd have something. Make it extraordinarily cheesy! Introduce some dynamics into the track, both composition-wise and arrangement/mixing-wise. Have it ebb and flow more, build up to something, whatever. Use breaks! It's kind of short, but there's still lots of room for a more dynamic listening experience.

ariston wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 11:19 am There's nothing that sticks out - if you think of music as communication, then the equivalent would be someone going on and on about spilling a glass of milk yesterday morning.
Thanks. I like this analogy. :)

Edit to add: I'm thinking this is a symptom of what is apparently a common problem, which is turning a short loop/idea/motif into a fully developed piece.

its cheezy only because it sounds rather stiff, like a midi file played by a media player.
composition itself is fine, imo.
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

I don’t think it’s cheesy personally. Cheesy would be like dubstep or ambient.
Many paid and free VSTs as well as Kontakt libraries. As well as HW synths/drum machine and acoustic instruments.

There is a cheese factor to it, but the bass direction stops it from being a cheese fest; plus its not a major chord comp. Another way to have it less cheesy is to have 7th, 9th chords etc.
Try adding some variety - a bridge where you take out the percussion, and implement a slightly different chord progression. Dispose of the root chord in the bridge. Try a call-and-response.
(ps: if you want cheese, look at my Soundcloud "Find your way home". I wanted to do a commercial song, major chord, but am still trying to find a way to make it catchy, but not too cheesy. ; ) )

it is kinda cheesy, yes, but i think it's interesting. definitely an old school song, but i liked it. i could feel a lot of classical elements in the song.
Exploring the boundaries of
Modern Classical and Electronica.
https://mihaildoman.com

reborn579 wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 4:24 pm it is kinda cheesy, yes, but i think it's interesting. definitely an old school song, but i liked it. i could feel a lot of classical elements in the song.
Thanks. Although I'm new to composition and production, I'm not new to... life... so that's bound to be reflected in what I come up with.

Bansaw wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 2:36 pm There is a cheese factor to it, but the bass direction stops it from being a cheese fest; plus its not a major chord comp. Another way to have it less cheesy is to have 7th, 9th chords etc.
Try adding some variety - a bridge where you take out the percussion, and implement a slightly different chord progression. Dispose of the root chord in the bridge. Try a call-and-response.
(ps: if you want cheese, look at my Soundcloud "Find your way home". I wanted to do a commercial song, major chord, but am still trying to find a way to make it catchy, but not too cheesy. ; ) )
This is great feedback that I'll keep in mind. Thanks.

I liked that track, and can see what you were going for. Sorry I don't have any constructive feedback -- I'm too new to this. :)

[/quote]
I'm not new to... life... so that's bound to be reflected in what I come up with.
[/quote]

hehe. fair enough mate. :)
Exploring the boundaries of
Modern Classical and Electronica.
https://mihaildoman.com

Return to “Music Cafe”