License sales numbers

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Yeah, that sounds about right. Remember they have to pay a few hundred employees, alongside other expenses.

Yep, that's revenue, not profits. They make a lot of hardware, which usually has pretty low profit margins. And they have around 450 employees to feed.
More BPM please

Yup. I don’t know why people think that plugin developers are making bank. Must not be thinking about the variables. I think it’s clear when so many abandon their software because they figure they’re busting their asses to go broke and have families to feed and eventually just say, “f**k this. I can make a lot more in a different area.”

As per an older thread about this, it took U-he something like 6 years to make 3000 sales of Zebra2. And that was when it was 'the' synth.

And to another point, yes, more people use plugins these days, but its still a relatively small niche, and there's far more competition. Its also the case that people expect plugins to be cheaper than used to be acceptable.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

Hell, that's less than I expected, and I remember.

on the other hand, king oz managed to purchase a whole kingdom from 5 dollar plug in sales, so you just never know.

vurt wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 5:26 pm on the other hand, king oz managed to purchase a whole kingdom from 5 dollar plug in sales, so you just never know.
Yeah but Australia doesn't have much going for it and this is obviously reflected in the price he paid.
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

Mushy Mushy wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 5:37 pm
vurt wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 5:26 pm on the other hand, king oz managed to purchase a whole kingdom from 5 dollar plug in sales, so you just never know.
Yeah but Australia doesn't have much going for it and this is obviously reflected in the price he paid.
if he cashes in on the emerald city though?
and surely a horse of many colours is worth a few quid?

I think Spitfire Audio are swimming in money selling mega bucks libraries to composers. I think Avid are racking in the cash too, with all the Hollywood post houses subscribed to their software suites.

I read somewhere that Dirk from PA drives a Ferrari?

At one point Roli were absolutely swimming in investor money. Now they started selling off assets starting with Juice.
Orion Platinum, Muzys 2

pandashake wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 12:13 pm As a former player in the game, if you are looking to make a living coding plugins, don't. Write security code instead.
Yes I believe Pace is doing really well in the plugin business with their iLok security software.
Last edited by v1o on Mon Jun 01, 2020 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Orion Platinum, Muzys 2

how much do you think one of the spitfire libraries costs to produce?
not every penny is profit.

voxengo guy is a millionaire btw, he mentioned it the other week.
and ignored my marriage proposal :cry:

The Term "succesful" seems quiet problematic to me. We can´t really know which Synth is "succesful" concerning Sales Figures - which should always be the primary Indicator - if we don´t know the Sales Figures - and maybe also the Turnover.

AIR Hybrid for Example is maybe more succesful than any U-he wil ever be - just because it´s cheap and has a worldwide Audience.

Maybe Ummet Ozcan can tell us more about his Sales Figures. He recently released the famous 1$ Synth.

You should definitely consider Price Categorys in your Estimations. 150$+ Synths are probably not sold that often - also because each one of them can entertain you for a Lifetime ;-)
Last edited by GRUMP on Mon Jun 01, 2020 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

vurt wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 6:09 pm voxengo guy is a millionaire btw, he mentioned it the other week.
Did he also mention the Currency :?

GRUMP wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 6:40 pm
vurt wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 6:09 pm voxengo guy is a millionaire btw, he mentioned it the other week.
Did he also mention the Currency :?
yep, it was suggested he was joking and it was due to rubles
he said nope, actually millionaire in us dollars.
obviously still not a uk millionaire.(well he didnt say anyway)

Return to “Instruments”