Pace /ilok acquires Juce framework

DSP, Plugin and Host development discussion.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

mgw38 wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 9:04 pm There is no future. :)
Unless you live in the past
Amazon: why not use an alternative

In that announcement I didn‘t find an open source version mentioned in the license part. Does that mean Pace does not support open source any more? This would lead evidently to a fork...

I think GPL mode for JUCE still remains in v6.

It seems these companies want to add another hoop of control for you to jump through, that increasingly constricts with time. I think that's obvious. KVR has a history of representing open standards, which seem less open with time after seeing SB pull VST2, and Apple's nonsense. ILok represents lock and key, and security is usually the opposite of freedom. These habits are akin to cooking a frog in gradually heating water.

Instead of developing for these platforms, how about developing only for standards and platforms that truly remain open? If your product has real value, the customer will simply change platforms and DAWs to whichever you choose to support. Lead the market, don't follow. If you bring the value, customers will follow you wherever you choose to go. Let Apple, Steinberg, and the like conform to you, don't conform to them.
SLH - Yes, I am a woman, deal with it.

Vertion wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 9:49 pm Instead of developing for these platforms, how about developing only for standards and platforms that truly remain open?
Are there any serious examples of these open platforms?

Vertion wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 9:49 pm If your product has real value, the customer will simply change platforms and DAWs to whichever you choose to support.
Edge case which is highly unlikely. There'll always be alternatives which do exactly what I want, where I want it and how I want it.

DrEntropy wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 11:22 pm
Vertion wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 9:49 pm Instead of developing for these platforms, how about developing only for standards and platforms that truly remain open?
Are there any serious examples of these open platforms?
LV2 is apparently open. Either way, it's just an interface, if you make even the most basic DAW, you can make a plugin format. FLStudio has a plugin format, Buzz Machines has a plugin format, etc. This is why I've encouraged the big developer names here to create a DAW, to circumvent the control schemes imposed on this community. Think of Tron and Flynn freeing the system from the tyrannical MCP. There are smaller DAWs like MuLab, OhmStudio, etc who could currently push a new standard. Or better yet, imagine Uhe making a DAW and pushing a new open format, asking the other big names on here to jump aboard. It has to truly be an open free and easy standard, idiot proof. CherryAudio created a format for their over controlled modular environment, but it will never grow due to online dependency. Plugin formats must be free, open, and easy to understand and work with, as well as highly available and publicized. An additional strategy is to create wrappers to integrate other plugin formats, BuzzMachines had wrapper plugins for VST, etc. Or alternatively, cutting all development for non-open standards, it's in the best interest for every developer here not to let their livelihood be dictated by another company vying for control by removing openness and reliable stability. These companies push for a Nash Equilibrium that keeps you dependent and gradually giving up your freedoms, time, energy and money. Every time Steinberg, Apple, Juce makes a change, you are the one required to follow. Take your power back, KVR! There is more than enough power between all of you to pinch off the power mongers that seek to constrict this open standard based market.

I can easily pick a lead team to win back control over the market for all devs by creating a new DAW and standard. Uhe, Xfer, Tone2, Cytomic for market/customer influence,, and request everyone here who has sold a plugin before 2015 to join. This would fill the market with new life and it would roar even louder then the best days of the past. Bring freedom back and everything grows again.
SLH - Yes, I am a woman, deal with it.

Vertion wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 9:49 pmIf you bring the value, customers will follow you wherever you choose to go.
Not blindly though. Maybe for a very well established DAW, yes. When Apple acquired Emagic, many friends of mine (and I) switched to Mac. But for a plugin dev? Highly unlikely.
How many Camel Audio customers switched to Mac to follow Alchemy?
Vertion wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 4:31 amI can easily pick a lead team to win back control over the market for all devs by creating a new DAW and standard.
I've posted this already, but it's always relevant.

AudioThing (VST, AU, AAX, CLAP Plugins)
Instagram | Twitter | Discord Server

VST3 is an open format with the additional advantage for developers of closed source plugins, they can use it as well and protect their business model... The reason for the success of Juce is the same...
There are free and open source license models which also allow to close sources again, but that does not protect those who want a GPL like license to prevent being ripped off...
Most successful open source projects follow this scheme btw...

Return to “DSP and Plugin Development”