VST to split midi to separate channels

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi, I am searching (and not finding yet) a VST in which you can assign graphically ranges on the keyboard which input shall be send out to different channels. Over this a transpose is required so the final input instrument does not care about which range I used.

At the end I hope to use it in Studio One to split a track's input and send ranges to different Kontakt instruments in one instance on different channels. I know there is a way in Kontakt itself, but this is so awful beeing setup.

any hint?

I don't know anything about Studio One, but in Reaper, you can use the "JS: MIDI Tool" plugin to filter notes in many ways. For example, you can set it so that notes coming in on channel 1 are filtered such that everything under note 64 goes out on channel 2 and is transposed up by 12 semitones. Then you could add another instance of "JS: MIDI Tool" and filter everything note 64 and above and send all this out on channel 3, transposed however you like. Then you add two instruments in Kontakt, setting one to channel 2 and another to channel 3. That's it. It isn't graphical, but it does what you want. I'd think that if Studio One is worth its salt, it must have some way to filter notes like this.

But really, all this can be done in a single instance of Kontakt alone fairly quickly. Just make a multi by adding two instruments, setting them both to receive input on channel 1 or whatever. Then click the little wrench button in the upper left of the instrument and then click the "instrument options" button. There, you can filter note ranges and transpose MIDI input as you wish.

One advantage of doing it all in Kontakt is that you can save this new multi for later use. You don't have to save a whole instrument/effects chain. Once again, this isn't graphical, but it works and isn't too painful.
Last edited by JO512 on Tue Jun 02, 2020 3:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.

"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

Yes, I come from Reaper and used JJ ;-) Now with Studio One it is limited.
Just saw, the output from an instrument can only send to a specific channel of a different. So, that is a blocker for such a VST.

Yes the option with Kontakt is the way I know. But IMHO it is not so transparent and if I replace the instrument, it has to be done again. There is also no optical response to see if the range is what I want it to be.

BTW for those who will mention the Studio One multi-inbstrument: It is nice and the optical part is what I am searching for. But it requires multiple instances of Kontakt.

But JO512, thanks for your advice!

Hi Mushy, that link describes the multi instrument. Means multiple instances of instruments. But Kontakt shall be only one instance. For CPU and loading time issues.

AndreasHe wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 3:39 pm Hi Mushy, that link describes the multi instrument. Means multiple instances of instruments. But Kontakt shall be only one instance. For CPU and loading time issues.
Ah ok, I don't use Studio One hence the ? as I wasn't sure it was relevant :oops:
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

Actually, that MIDI transpose option in the instrument options in Kontakt doesn't do what I thought it would do. I don't know Kontakt very well.

You've not said your OS. On PC, the Piz Midi plugins could be used to do this sort of thing.

Original is gone, but there are mirrors eg https://www.paulcecchettimusic.com/piz- ... oad-links/ and a github repo.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

Thanks. But I think I have no chance. Found the input of an instrument is fixed to a channel. Means, it can not send to multiple channels. If I would split it to separate channels, I can not send all of them to one instrument. That is a Studio One limitation, what a pity.

in S1 you can 'explode pitch to tracks' which creates individual midi tracks for every note in your 'full midi' which i use a LOT for mixing drum midi parts but can be used for anything really. from what i think you are wanting you could then select all the parts within the range you want of the 'expanded' tracks and combine those selected back into one midi part and assign whatever kontakt instrument you want to just that midi track that was combined back into one. there are many ways to skin a cat. lol

cheers
"There is no strength in numbers... have no such misconception... but when you need me be assured I won't be far away."

If you have Reaktor, it would be easy enough to build one using channel modules. You'd use a MIDI in channel module for the original input, and use compare modules to separate the notes for the splits you want. Then, send each to a different MIDI out channel module, and use a constant on each channel port on those modules to set the channel. Done.

ew
A spectral heretic...

Return to “Instruments”