FREE beta version of Contortion-24 now available from Gramotech!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

We're excited today to release a FREE beta version of our new plug-in, Contortion-24!

Contortion-24 is a distortion and saturation plug-in with several unique effects with unique colour and characteristic across three main categories: distortion, saturation, and waveshaping.

Check it out for FREE at https://gramotech.co.uk/beta/.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

wikid. there.

Does the Beta expire ?

"Completing the follow up questionaire will get you an additional 10% when the full plug-in is released!"
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Teksonik wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 5:11 pm Does the Beta expire ?
Yes, when we're ready to release a full version the beta will end and you'll have to purchase a license from our website to continue using.

When the full version is release, there'll be a trial version that will remain free, and we're also thinking of releasing a 'lite' version that will have limited features but will also be free.

Gramotech wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 5:15 pm
Yes, when we're ready to release a full version the beta will end and you'll have to purchase a license from our website to continue using.
So you want us to beta test your product for free or for a small discount on the final price ? No thank you.
Gramotech wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 5:15 pmWhen the full version is release, there'll be a trial version that will remain free, and we're also thinking of releasing a 'lite' version that will have limited features but will also be free.
A free "trial" version, you mean a free demo version like every other plugin out there ?

Ok good luck with your business......
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Gramotech wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 5:15 pm Yes, when we're ready to release a full version the beta will end and you'll have to purchase a license from our website to continue using.
What sort of price would you charge for this? I don't want to get the free beta, integrate it in to my workflow, enjoy using it and then you release it for $99 or something that's outside of my budget.

I'd rather just wait until it's released and I can try the trial.
A bit fried in the higher freqs

Teksonik wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 5:37 pm
So you want us to beta test your product for free or for a small discount on the final price ? No thank you.
Gramotech wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 5:15 pmWhen the full version is release, there'll be a trial version that will remain free, and we're also thinking of releasing a 'lite' version that will have limited features but will also be free.
A free "trial" version, you mean a free demo version like every other plugin out there ?

We've put out a beta version so users can try our new plug-in for free before it's fully released, so we can patch any existing bugs that we may have missed in our own internal testing, and so we can get some feedback from our users about what features they'd like to see added, changed, or removed in the full version.

Trial, demo, whatever you like to call it, yes there'll be a free version available so you can test the plug-in before commiting to purchasing a license. The trial/demo version will periodically mute it's output as it's only for evaluation purposes.

cprompt wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 6:28 pm
Gramotech wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 5:15 pm Yes, when we're ready to release a full version the beta will end and you'll have to purchase a license from our website to continue using.
What sort of price would you charge for this? I don't want to get the free beta, integrate it in to my workflow, enjoy using it and then you release it for $99 or something that's outside of my budget.

I'd rather just wait until it's released and I can try the trial.
We don't recommend using any beta plug-ins in 'real' projects - only use them on test projects to avoid any loss of work. Many of the effects and processing of the plug-in may be subject to change so when the beta ends, the fully released version likely won't sound exactly the same.

As for price, we haven't set a definite one yet. One thing we'll be asking in our follow-up questionaire will be about how much users would be willing to pay for such a plug-in. Currently, our two other paid plug-ins are both priced at £29.99/$37.60 (with a sale price of £14.99/$18.79) and it's likely Contortion-24 will have a similar price.

Gramotech wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 6:44 pmWe don't recommend using any beta plug-ins in 'real' projects - only use them on test projects to avoid any loss of work. Many of the effects and processing of the plug-in may be subject to change so when the beta ends, the fully released version likely won't sound exactly the same.
Yes, that's fair enough.
Gramotech wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 6:44 pmAs for price, we haven't set a definite one yet. One thing we'll be asking in our follow-up questionaire will be about how much users would be willing to pay for such a plug-in. Currently, our two other paid plug-ins are both priced at £29.99/$37.60 (with a sale price of £14.99/$18.79) and it's likely Contortion-24 will have a similar price.
That's a price that I can buy in at :tu:
A bit fried in the higher freqs

GUI looks nice.

It looks decently polished, curious to give this a try to see if it sounds just as polished.
Take care :wink:

Teksonik wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 5:37 pm

I see true beta testing as the develop expecting feedback (and getting feedback from the beta tester) and either give the plugin for free or pay for testing. Here giving feedback is voluntary so the developer can't demand feedback like it would've with true beta testing. In case of the current request, he might get valuable feedback or he might get what he pays for. Maybe he already has/had a dedicated beta testing team.

logicX 10.5, mojave:

upon first launch, logic (AUVal ?) reports via LittleSnitch
that it will connect to google.com and to gramotech.co.uk

ditto and repeatble upon "reset&rescan selection" from within logic
i.e.: AU Validation
instant crash with crashreport (sent to apple) upon denial
of little snitsch reporting to connect to google and gramotech

from what i can see:
is there a JUCE library involved ?

----quote crashlog---
Thread 0 Crashed:: Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread
0 com.Gramotech.Contortion24 0x0000000105cf14c0 PluginProcessor::prepareToPlay(double, int) + 3424
1 com.Gramotech.Contortion24 0x0000000105caed7c JuceAU::prepareToPlay() + 332
2 com.Gramotech.Contortion24 0x0000000105ca6f4a JuceAU::Reset(unsigned int, unsigned int) + 26
-----

we already had the discussion in the Odin thread,
where JUCE wants to connect to google/google-analytics IIRC

as long as i deny any connection contortion will not validate and crashes

i have saved the crashlog and can send it to gramotech...

p.s.:
it also installs into the home directory i.e.:
~/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/Components/
~/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/VST/

which imho is not too good

it should imho rather *only* install into
/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/Components/
/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/VST/

muki wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 1:31 pm logicX 10.5, mojave:

upon first launch, logic (AUVal ?) reports via LittleSnitch
that it will connect to google.com and to gramotech.co.uk

ditto and repeatble upon "reset&rescan selection" from within logic
i.e.: AU Validation
instant crash with crashreport (sent to apple) upon denial
of little snitsch reporting to connect to google and gramotech

from what i can see:
is there a JUCE library involved ?

----quote crashlog---
Thread 0 Crashed:: Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread
0 com.Gramotech.Contortion24 0x0000000105cf14c0 PluginProcessor::prepareToPlay(double, int) + 3424
1 com.Gramotech.Contortion24 0x0000000105caed7c JuceAU::prepareToPlay() + 332
2 com.Gramotech.Contortion24 0x0000000105ca6f4a JuceAU::Reset(unsigned int, unsigned int) + 26
-----

we already had the discussion in the Odin thread,
where JUCE wants to connect to google/google-analytics IIRC

as long as i deny any connection contortion will not validate and crashes

i have saved the crashlog and can send it to gramotech...

p.s.:
it also installs into the home directory i.e.:
~/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/Components/
~/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/VST/

which imho is not too good

it should imho rather *only* install into
/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/Components/
/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/VST/
We don't use Google Analytics. The connection to google.com is just a ping to check if your system currently has an internet connection (which is required by the beta, but won't be required for the full release). The connection to gramotech.co.uk, our website, is to check if the beta is still active.

Yes, we use the JUCE framework. But the option of collecting anonymous usage data is disabled for all of our projects:

Please do send us the crashlog, you can email us at support@gramotech.co.uk.
The plug-in shouldn't crash if the connection is denied - it should just display a popup message explaining as such. Possibly something we need to fix.

Gramotech wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 1:44 pm Please do send us the crashlog,
done

actually imho contortion is quite nice

another thing i have found:

oversampling is super
and it actually works quite well, but:
different oversampling values change the sound quite a bit
(actually some more than quite "a bit")

4x oversampling is the max my i7 can play
8x gives me immediate stop...

yet another thing:
the 2 "clamp" checkmarks are not working (AU version)

Return to “Effects”