Alternatives to Sonible Entropy+ EQ

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Entropy+ is currently for free with every Purchase at PB. I didn´t expect much - another linear EQ to be true - but the Possibility to balance between harmonic and disharmonic Frequencys has brought up some really interesting Results.

I didn´t hear about a comparable Tool yet. Are there any Alternatives? Similar Tools?

Uh oh another alternatives thread...

Can you be more specific as to why you are seeking an alternative - (can't you just use the Sonible one)?

Are you just curious as to what else might do something similar, or do you have a specific goal (ie you want something similar but not linear phase, etc)?

Any extra detail can help with suggestions, or these can become quite meaningless threads. Recently someone asked for alternatives to Trackspacer and when I gave one, they responded bluntly "It only has 3 bands, Trackspacer has 32"... facepalm. If you have specific requirements, let us know so we can help you!

I got it today, and the graphics are dodgy. When I play a note on a synth and move a band, the graphics stutter and leap--not smooth. This doesn't negate its sound, which I didn't yet investigate.

". . . balance between harmonic and disharmonic Frequencys"

I'm not sure what this means and how the Sonible EQ would be unique with it.
Doing nothing is only fun when you have something you are supposed to do.

Assuming the 'signal decomposition' part is what appeals to you:

All (?) of the Melda multiband plugins have unusual crossover types such as tonal/transient and spectral amplitude available.

Eventide's Physion is a multieffect that can process tonal and transient parts separately.

In terms of more 'open' solutions that will let you use your own effects:

Unfiltered Audio's G8 can do a very 'lo-fi' version of tonal/transient processing by using the one-shot gate mode in conjunction with the reject outputs. On highly dynamic material like drums it works surprisingly well for splitting the transient/body on to different channels, and the combined result is always lossless (sounding exactly like the original) regardless of how well the 'separation' goes.

If you've got access to Max For Live, FactorSynth dials this stuff up to 11. It can separate any audio file into an arbitrary number of components which can then be rendered out with one-click for further processing. It's RAM hungry, especially when you involve large numbers of components, so it's unlikely you'll be putting a full track through it, and in both requiring and spitting out audio files it's probably more suited to an audio-heavy workflow. You can do crazy hybrid sounds or simple things like removing/adding components in-synth, but if you want to use your own effects you'll need to render out the components. There's nothing quite like it when it comes to source separation/'unmixing' though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vjbe_vJth38

Dirtgrain wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 2:02 am ". . . balance between harmonic and disharmonic Frequencys"

The EQ can tell the difference between 'noisy' and 'harmonic' parts of the sound (even when they're occurring at the same time) and can EQ them separately. So you could, for instance, EQ just the finger noises in a guitar track, or EQ just the sibilance and 'breathiness' in a vocal.

cron wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 2:40 am
Dirtgrain wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 2:02 am ". . . balance between harmonic and disharmonic Frequencys"

The EQ can tell the difference between 'noisy' and 'harmonic' parts of the sound (even when they're occurring at the same time) and can EQ them separately. So you could, for instance, EQ just the finger noises in a guitar track, or EQ just the sibilance and 'breathiness' in a vocal.
So kind of like how Transgressor separates the transient from the sustain and lets you EQ them independently - but works more in a spectral way, separating harmonics from non-harmonic material.

Sounds very useful for those use-cases (fretboard noise etc) but otherwise is very niche.

If something cool comes goes on sale on Plugin Boutique this month I will grab it for free and check it out.

Ah, I better look more closely at it--thanks.
Doing nothing is only fun when you have something you are supposed to do.

MogwaiBoy wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 1:51 am Can you be more specific as to why you are seeking an alternative - (can't you just use the Sonible one)?
That´s my Mindset. I´m never satisfied and always on the Run :shrug: And very "spectral" in the narrow Sense of the Term. Sampling Synths across the Keyboard Range has some unpleasant Problems. Entropy is helpful fixing one of them, that´s what I meant with "interesting Results". Didn´t know about this Domain before and will go on evaluating it´s Potential now!
MogwaiBoy wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 1:51 am
Are you just curious as to what else might do something similar, or do you have a specific goal (ie you want something similar but not linear phase, etc)?
Just curious. Very very curious.
MogwaiBoy wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 1:51 am Any extra detail can help with suggestions, or these can become quite meaningless threads. Recently someone asked for alternatives to Trackspacer and when I gave one, they responded bluntly "It only has 3 bands, Trackspacer has 32"... facepalm. If you have specific requirements, let us know so we can help you!
I remember this Fred :D But sry, no Details. It´s just about harmonic and disharmonic/noisy Frequency Content here... ?
Last edited by GRUMP on Wed Jun 03, 2020 6:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

cron wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 2:16 am Assuming the 'signal decomposition' part is what appeals to you [...]
Thanks for that. A very inspiring Reply...

FactorSynth is imO the Future of Synthesis resp. points into absolutely the right Direction. Page one of my "I have a Dream" Speech. SB´s Backbone is a little Child in Comparison...

EDIT: as I have just seen Msoundfactory Sampler Module offers the Possibility to split a Sample into Tonal and Noise Part, too (Regions - Menu, last Point).

Return to “Effects”