1 filter enough (as in Serum)?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

How do you feel about synth having only 1 filter? Serum has 1 - well you can add 1 filter for the FX section but that's not the same as having 2 filters? I am just curious how much it effects sound designing if there is 1 filter compared to 2? I know you can do some stuff with 2 filters, but is there a work around for this with Serum?

Considering a wavetable can basically mimic a filter sweep, I’d say it’s less important, but in synths I have that have two, I do still find it useful. What I do like about Serum is that you can route an oscillator around the filter. It also has dual filter types, which is good enough for me.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

Tannaliini wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 2:25 pm How do you feel about synth having only 1 filter? Serum has 1 - well you can add 1 filter for the FX section but that's not the same as having 2 filters? I am just curious how much it effects sound designing if there is 1 filter compared to 2? I know you can do some stuff with 2 filters, but is there a work around for this with Serum?
Apart from running in Paralell? What sounds are you trying to achieve with 2 filters? As quoted above you can render filter sweeps into the oscillators and do it all again unlimited times. The Eq section can also be used as a resonant filter.

focusrite wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 4:08 pm
Tannaliini wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 2:25 pm How do you feel about synth having only 1 filter? Serum has 1 - well you can add 1 filter for the FX section but that's not the same as having 2 filters? I am just curious how much it effects sound designing if there is 1 filter compared to 2? I know you can do some stuff with 2 filters, but is there a work around for this with Serum?
Apart from running in Paralell? What sounds are you trying to achieve with 2 filters? As quoted above you can render filter sweeps into the oscillators and do it all again unlimited times. The Eq section can also be used as a resonant filter.
Being able to run filters in parallel is pretty fun. My Pro 2 has two filters based on the Prophet 6 and OB-6 (Multimode) and not only can you choose either filter, or both, in series or parallel, you can modulate the blend between serial and parallel and modulate the topology of the multimode. Very interesting things can happen there.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

zerocrossing wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 4:14 pm
Being able to run filters in parallel is pretty fun. My Pro 2 has two filters based on the Prophet 6 and OB-6 (Multimode) and not only can you choose either filter, or both, in series or parallel, you can modulate the blend between serial and parallel and modulate the topology of the multimode. Very interesting things can happen there.
The OP said: "I know you can do some stuff with 2 filters"

NO , 1 filter is not enough , you will never top the charts with just 1 filter
Never
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

As long as it has a single good LP filter, fine with me...

Serum has 2 filters. But one is global vs. polyphonic.
Last edited by teilo on Wed Jun 03, 2020 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

It's useful to have a second filter to use for sound shaping. For example, using a HP filter with resonance to shape the bass. That is per voice and not done in the FX section.

Synths should have a multi-band equalizer instead of a filter :)

gentleclockdivider wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 4:34 pm NO , 1 filter is not enough , you will never top the charts with just 1 filter
Never
Ok, in that case Serum with 1 filter works for me perfectly since I don't need to top charts :D

Having everything in parallel makes life so much more interesting , and that's not just for filters
I just had an exquisite parallel lasagna , you can't even imagine how good it tasted
Eyeball exchanging

some time ago here in another thread was a discussion about the necessity of two filters and I posted, that I don't understand the advantage of two filters. But I forgot that I often use the second filter for modulation like a "macro" ... :D

well for starters , you can use 2 filters in serial , and using a high pass filter to add extra bass boost or cut the lows .
Eyeball exchanging

For that I use an EQ, but that lasagna recipe sounds very interesting! :D

Return to “Instruments”