The Chase

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

This is the audio-only of my entry to the Westworld competition. A combo of grungy stoner guitars and orchestra.

https://soundcloud.com/fc1985/the-chase/s-5wUykwPgYV2

If you want to listen to it synced to the movie, see below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ST8am8_ ... e=youtu.be

Guitars have a sort of Didgeridoo tone to them, which is nice. As a score I'm afraid it doesnt work for me, as each shot should be a cue to some dynamic in the actual score itself. Not that I could do any better tbh, and it might be a different story with the judges.

As music on its own merit its a great effort. If this is your ambition watch the Hans Zimmer videos on youtube. Junkie XL and Guy Michelmore also make great videos about scoring.
Find me on iTunes, Spotify, Bandcamp etc.

The_Tired_Horizon wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 8:52 pm Guitars have a sort of Didgeridoo tone to them, which is nice. As a score I'm afraid it doesnt work for me, as each shot should be a cue to some dynamic in the actual score itself. Not that I could do any better tbh, and it might be a different story with the judges.

As music on its own merit its a great effort. If this is your ambition watch the Hans Zimmer videos on youtube. Junkie XL and Guy Michelmore also make great videos about scoring.
Lots of fuzz on the guitars :)

that’s fair criticism ... tbh I was attempting to match the different moods and changes, but I guess they’re not as dynamic as I’d have hoped, and as a result it plays out more like a music video. Thanks for lending me your ear anyway...I’ll check those guys out.

frank1985 wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 11:15 pm
The_Tired_Horizon wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 8:52 pm Guitars have a sort of Didgeridoo tone to them, which is nice. As a score I'm afraid it doesnt work for me, as each shot should be a cue to some dynamic in the actual score itself. Not that I could do any better tbh, and it might be a different story with the judges.

Lots of fuzz on the guitars :)

that’s fair criticism ... tbh I was attempting to match the different moods and changes, but I guess they’re not as dynamic as I’d have hoped, and as a result it plays out more like a music video. Thanks for lending me your ear anyway...I’ll check those guys out.
No problem, and don't be dissuaded from trying it again.
Find me on iTunes, Spotify, Bandcamp etc.

I had to watch the movie clip, then listened to your soundtrack on its own and then watched the clip again.

I imagine that soundtracks for action sequences have to take a back seat to the visuals and dialog in order to not distract attention from what is going on in the movie. The first time I watched this sequence I didn't really notice your soundtrack even though I could hear it, because I was paying attention to the action, so I thought your soundtrack did a decent job of providing atmosphere without grabbing my attention, and that is it's primary function.

When I listened to your soundtrack on SoundCloud, I became more involved with your composition. I thought it was a decent piece of scoring music and quite appropriate for its intended purpose.

The second time I watched the clip, I was more aware of your soundtrack because I didn't have to focus on the (cheesy) dialog or the on-screen pyrotechnics. I thought it was a good fit for the action taking place on-screen, and managed to provide the right kind of atmosphere, including some good tension builds and releases, especially the final sequence.

I think this was quite successful.

Good work :)

Return to “Music Cafe”