need a stereo widener

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

shit, i didn't think there were so many options

+1 for polyverse

https://joeysturgistones.com/products/sidewidener - currently £16 from JST, but it's also free if you purchased any recent-ish issue of Computer Music.

izotope imager is pretty dang good considering how much it costs which is nothing

Kinh wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 2:18 pm need something that dont produce no phasing issues. Also a short delay like the stock one in protools.
Why do you think you need widener? This is one of the most asked from beginners and it's one of the worst plugins that exist. No truly. You want something to sound wider? Make something else narrower in the mix.

Daimonicon wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 4:47 pm
Kinh wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 2:18 pm need something that dont produce no phasing issues. Also a short delay like the stock one in protools.
Why do you think you need widener? This is one of the most asked from beginners and it's one of the worst plugins that exist. No truly. You want something to sound wider? Make something else narrower in the mix.
This.

Also.

Imbalance creates width. Many synths can or simply will produce variations on a signal with each instance. Nothing like hard panning to give a huge sense of width. Any natural sounding variation you can impart on these signals can improve the illusion. 2CAudio's Precedence can work well for this with a little tweaking.

True emulations of analogue processors can also help to impart subtle variation that should sum cleanly.

Then it might be best to create the stereo difference whilst monitoring in mono so that you can pay attention to obvious phase issues before switching back to stereo.

balance must be restored.

The best ones I saw is Raising Jakes Stereo Widener and Leapwig Audio Center Stage

I usually just use voxengo delay along with a M/S EQ if I want a nice artificial stereo effect. If there is already some stereo info in the signal, I find that a simple MSED type encoder/ decoder effect can bring the stereo out in a clean way. I don’t generally worry about mono compatibility anymore. I have had no problems with it on any project I have worked on in at least the past 10 years.
Don't F**K with Mr. Zero.

Kinh wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 3:22 pm shit, i didn't think there were so many options
LMAO

muki wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 3:26 pm +1 for polyverse
The free Polyverse widener is garbage. It turns your audio into a phasy mess. It would be hard to find a worse widener.

ElevateAudio wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 2:44 am
The free Polyverse widener is garbage. It turns your audio into a phasy mess. It would be hard to find a worse widener.
Really? ADSR doesn't agree with you and neither do I. Care to prove your point with some real facts?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9QEWbRmlwqo
Win 10 -64bit, CPU i7-7700K, 32Gb, Focusrite 2i2, FL-studio 20, Studio One 4, Reason 10

ATN69 wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 4:04 am
ElevateAudio wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 2:44 am
Really? ADSR doesn't agree with you and neither do I. Care to prove your point with some real facts?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9QEWbRmlwqo
Yeah heres a suggestion. Use your ears. Put it on a stereo audio file, increase the mix level and then tell me it doesn't turn into a phasy mess. If you can't hear it then there's no helping you.

Addendum: I put this piece of shit back on my computer after immediately trashing it after trying it originally, on the off chance they fixed it or there was something wrong on my end. Nope. Put a dry drum loop on with this and listen to it it turn your drum loop into a phase shifted mess with mix levels of higher than 50%. If you're looking for a phase shifter then in your in luck. Otherwise this thing is useless. Back to the trash it goes.
Last edited by ElevateAudio on Thu Jun 04, 2020 4:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

https://nugenaudio.com/stereoizer/

The nugen stereoizer surprised me by becoming my favorite widener so far. Previously it was the one in ozone. It can widen without obviously changing the frequency balance and sound quite natural, as well as giving a lot of control. Quite expensive normally, though I was able to get it on discount through the focusrite/novation plugin promos.

Return to “Effects”