Dark, experimental soundscapes! Free downloads.

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

https://thetiredhorizon.bandcamp.com/album/shadow

Free to download if you so wish. This is a collection of 8 experimental compositions invoking industrial, dark ambient, soundscaping, musique concrete and other influences. The tracks started back in 2016, but I've had time with lockdown to kind of finish them and release them into the wild. Every sound, rhythm and texture has been carefully considered and included because of my musical vision on this (god that sounds naff but its true).

Make music not war. Embrace your fellow human. Use your weakness like a superpower. And stay safe!
Thanks!! 8)
Find me on iTunes, Spotify, Bandcamp etc.

I’m half way through. its strangely relaxing. Like meditation music in a yoga class....that’s being held in a mental asylum.

How do you personally go about getting a nice low end? That’s a skill that continues to elude me. I’ve noticed a lot of dark ambient stuff sounds great in that region. Whenever I attempt it it just sounds like mush.

frank1985 wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 11:36 pm I’m half way through. its strangely relaxing. Like meditation music in a yoga class....that’s being held in a mental asylum.

How do you personally go about getting a nice low end? That’s a skill that continues to elude me. I’ve noticed a lot of dark ambient stuff sounds great in that region. Whenever I attempt it it just sounds like mush.
Thanks for listening!

For low end you have to treat each part like a jigsaw. If the shape is wrong it wont fit and makes a mess. So don't be afraid of EQ to pull those frequencies into control. The bass usually has a bit rolled off the top, and all that around it has the low end rolled off to counter balance. At least that's how I do it. Also when compressing the bass I'll set it with a wet/dry mix on, so some unaffected signal comes through.

You also have to start with a good sound. Play high enough that the frequencies will sound right with EQ, filtering and anything else you intend to do. Some people just go too far down the octaves and that actually works counter as it loses some of the resonances. Keep some of those mids in.
Find me on iTunes, Spotify, Bandcamp etc.

The_Tired_Horizon wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 8:44 am
frank1985 wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 11:36 pm I’m half way through. its strangely relaxing. Like meditation music in a yoga class....that’s being held in a mental asylum.

Thanks for listening!

For low end you have to treat each part like a jigsaw. If the shape is wrong it wont fit and makes a mess. So don't be afraid of EQ to pull those frequencies into control. The bass usually has a bit rolled off the top, and all that around it has the low end rolled off to counter balance. At least that's how I do it. Also when compressing the bass I'll set it with a wet/dry mix on, so some unaffected signal comes through.

You also have to start with a good sound. Play high enough that the frequencies will sound right with EQ, filtering and anything else you intend to do. Some people just go too far down the octaves and that actually works counter as it loses some of the resonances. Keep some of those mids in.
Great tip with regards to choosing a sound with enough mids to work with! Never thought of that.

Return to “Music Cafe”