1 filter enough (as in Serum)?

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
Tannaliini
KVRist
243 posts since 12 Mar, 2020 from Toilet, or on the way to toilet

Post Wed Jun 03, 2020 6:25 am

How do you feel about synth having only 1 filter? Serum has 1 - well you can add 1 filter for the FX section but that's not the same as having 2 filters? I am just curious how much it effects sound designing if there is 1 filter compared to 2? I know you can do some stuff with 2 filters, but is there a work around for this with Serum?

User avatar
zerocrossing
KVRAF
10215 posts since 26 Jun, 2006 from San Francisco Bay Area

Re: 1 filter enough (as in Serum)?

Post Wed Jun 03, 2020 7:57 am

Considering a wavetable can basically mimic a filter sweep, I’d say it’s less important, but in synths I have that have two, I do still find it useful. What I do like about Serum is that you can route an oscillator around the filter. It also has dual filter types, which is good enough for me.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

focusrite
KVRist
396 posts since 20 Aug, 2010

Re: 1 filter enough (as in Serum)?

Post Wed Jun 03, 2020 8:08 am

Tannaliini wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 6:25 am
How do you feel about synth having only 1 filter? Serum has 1 - well you can add 1 filter for the FX section but that's not the same as having 2 filters? I am just curious how much it effects sound designing if there is 1 filter compared to 2? I know you can do some stuff with 2 filters, but is there a work around for this with Serum?
Apart from running in Paralell? What sounds are you trying to achieve with 2 filters? As quoted above you can render filter sweeps into the oscillators and do it all again unlimited times. The Eq section can also be used as a resonant filter.

User avatar
zerocrossing
KVRAF
10215 posts since 26 Jun, 2006 from San Francisco Bay Area

Re: 1 filter enough (as in Serum)?

Post Wed Jun 03, 2020 8:14 am

focusrite wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 8:08 am
Tannaliini wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 6:25 am
How do you feel about synth having only 1 filter? Serum has 1 - well you can add 1 filter for the FX section but that's not the same as having 2 filters? I am just curious how much it effects sound designing if there is 1 filter compared to 2? I know you can do some stuff with 2 filters, but is there a work around for this with Serum?
Apart from running in Paralell? What sounds are you trying to achieve with 2 filters? As quoted above you can render filter sweeps into the oscillators and do it all again unlimited times. The Eq section can also be used as a resonant filter.
Being able to run filters in parallel is pretty fun. My Pro 2 has two filters based on the Prophet 6 and OB-6 (Multimode) and not only can you choose either filter, or both, in series or parallel, you can modulate the blend between serial and parallel and modulate the topology of the multimode. Very interesting things can happen there.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

focusrite
KVRist
396 posts since 20 Aug, 2010

Re: 1 filter enough (as in Serum)?

Post Wed Jun 03, 2020 8:21 am

zerocrossing wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 8:14 am
focusrite wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 8:08 am
Tannaliini wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 6:25 am
How do you feel about synth having only 1 filter? Serum has 1 - well you can add 1 filter for the FX section but that's not the same as having 2 filters? I am just curious how much it effects sound designing if there is 1 filter compared to 2? I know you can do some stuff with 2 filters, but is there a work around for this with Serum?
Apart from running in Paralell? What sounds are you trying to achieve with 2 filters? As quoted above you can render filter sweeps into the oscillators and do it all again unlimited times. The Eq section can also be used as a resonant filter.
Being able to run filters in parallel is pretty fun. My Pro 2 has two filters based on the Prophet 6 and OB-6 (Multimode) and not only can you choose either filter, or both, in series or parallel, you can modulate the blend between serial and parallel and modulate the topology of the multimode. Very interesting things can happen there.
The OP said: "I know you can do some stuff with 2 filters"

User avatar
gentleclockdivider
KVRAF
2909 posts since 22 Mar, 2009 from gent

Re: 1 filter enough (as in Serum)?

Post Wed Jun 03, 2020 8:34 am

NO , 1 filter is not enough , you will never top the charts with just 1 filter
Never
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

User avatar
e-crooner
KVRAF
1959 posts since 22 Aug, 2019

Re: 1 filter enough (as in Serum)?

Post Wed Jun 03, 2020 8:37 am

As long as it has a single good LP filter, fine with me...

User avatar
teilo
KVRian
558 posts since 30 Mar, 2008

Re: 1 filter enough (as in Serum)?

Post Wed Jun 03, 2020 8:44 am

Serum has 2 filters. But one is global vs. polyphonic.
Last edited by teilo on Wed Jun 03, 2020 8:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
macOS | Bitwig 3.x | Logic Pro X | Scarlett 6i6 v2 | DX7 w/SER-7 | Adam Audio T7V & Sub8
U-he all | Melda all | TAL synths | Komplete 12 Ult. Coll. | Arturia V 7 | Fabfilter Pro all | Rapid | countless others

User avatar
pdxindy
KVRAF
16850 posts since 3 Feb, 2005 from in the wilds

Re: 1 filter enough (as in Serum)?

Post Wed Jun 03, 2020 8:47 am

focusrite wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 8:08 am
Tannaliini wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 6:25 am
How do you feel about synth having only 1 filter? Serum has 1 - well you can add 1 filter for the FX section but that's not the same as having 2 filters? I am just curious how much it effects sound designing if there is 1 filter compared to 2? I know you can do some stuff with 2 filters, but is there a work around for this with Serum?
Apart from running in Paralell? What sounds are you trying to achieve with 2 filters? As quoted above you can render filter sweeps into the oscillators and do it all again unlimited times. The Eq section can also be used as a resonant filter.
It's useful to have a second filter to use for sound shaping. For example, using a HP filter with resonance to shape the bass. That is per voice and not done in the FX section.

User avatar
e-crooner
KVRAF
1959 posts since 22 Aug, 2019

Re: 1 filter enough (as in Serum)?

Post Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:02 am

Synths should have a multi-band equalizer instead of a filter :)

Tannaliini
KVRist
243 posts since 12 Mar, 2020 from Toilet, or on the way to toilet

Re: 1 filter enough (as in Serum)?

Post Wed Jun 03, 2020 1:07 pm

gentleclockdivider wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 8:34 am
NO , 1 filter is not enough , you will never top the charts with just 1 filter
Never
Ok, in that case Serum with 1 filter works for me perfectly since I don't need to top charts :D

User avatar
gentleclockdivider
KVRAF
2909 posts since 22 Mar, 2009 from gent

Re: 1 filter enough (as in Serum)?

Post Wed Jun 03, 2020 1:29 pm

Having everything in parallel makes life so much more interesting , and that's not just for filters
I just had an exquisite parallel lasagna , you can't even imagine how good it tasted
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

clipnotic
KVRist
358 posts since 19 Sep, 2007 from Germany

Re: 1 filter enough (as in Serum)?

Post Wed Jun 03, 2020 2:04 pm

some time ago here in another thread was a discussion about the necessity of two filters and I posted, that I don't understand the advantage of two filters. But I forgot that I often use the second filter for modulation like a "macro" ... :D
VST developers need more motivation and best motivation is hardcore criticism! :D
My english is terrible, feel free to correct me! :wink:

User avatar
gentleclockdivider
KVRAF
2909 posts since 22 Mar, 2009 from gent

Re: 1 filter enough (as in Serum)?

Post Wed Jun 03, 2020 3:07 pm

well for starters , you can use 2 filters in serial , and using a high pass filter to add extra bass boost or cut the lows .
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

clipnotic
KVRist
358 posts since 19 Sep, 2007 from Germany

Re: 1 filter enough (as in Serum)?

Post Wed Jun 03, 2020 3:18 pm

For that I use an EQ, but that lasagna recipe sounds very interesting! :D
VST developers need more motivation and best motivation is hardcore criticism! :D
My english is terrible, feel free to correct me! :wink:

Return to “Instruments”