Arturia OB-XA vs Sonic Projects OP-X Pro II - similarities, differences and a question to Oberheim HW users!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hey, KVRians,

I made a test/comparison of new Arturia OB-Xa and Sonic Projects OP-X Pro II, which I've owned for a while. Yep, I know, these are supposed to emulate different synths, I expected differences, but I didn't expect the differences to be THAT big.

My question here is: is it the same for hardware originals by Oberheim? I suppose there are differences (discrete vs Curtis IC and some other), but it's hard to believe that they would be that significant as with the plugins (let's exclude fx sections of both plugins). I never owned an Oberheim HW, thus asking.

Have a great day!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18S-oHPQSyc

Good review. Just wondering which plugin you find yourself using more often out of the two. I would like to buy one and Sonic Projects have a deal now on OP-X Pro II for €85 which is tempting.

Even if you don't create your own presets, it is worth it to get OP-X Pro II just for the tons of great presets it already has.
I have used it on many tracks and love its sound.

Weird to test it up against a plugin that emulates a different synth when there’s Obsession around that emulates the same synth. I declare all three plugins to be great. Hazah!
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

Scoox wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 9:25 pm Good review. Just wondering which plugin you find yourself using more often out of the two. I would like to buy one and Sonic Projects have a deal now on OP-X Pro II for €85 which is tempting.
Just a heads up, it's a 'permanent promo' on Sonic Projects, so, don't need to rush to buy it! (Still a great synth!)

I've had the OP-X Pro ii for over a decade, and when the new Arturia came out, it came with my collection upgrade so I now have both. I would agree that out-of-the-box as it were, the OP-X sounds more old school than the new Arturia version. As an example the Rush - Tom Sawyer bass rez sound preset loaded up on both by default definitely sounds different. Filter is a little different and that may be the OB-X vs OB-Xa hardware originals that source the two emulations in software being designed differently. If you edit the voice pan spread on the Arturia, and add in some filter slop it can sound much closer.

I made a Sawyer preset for Obsession that turned out pretty well. I do like the one with OP-X though. 😀

Return to “Instruments”