1 filter enough (as in Serum)?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

My Ob-6 has one filter and still somehow manages to sound pretty decent.

When I want more filters at once, I use multiple synths, or Omnisphere.

clipnotic wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 11:18 pm For that I use an EQ, but that lasagna recipe sounds very interesting! :D
An eq processes stereo signals , a polyphonic filter processes each voice .
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

So the only way to get "2filter" with Serum, is to use 2 separate Serums (I know there is the filter in the effects section, but it is only for global - can't be restricted for 1 osc)?

Tannaliini wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 12:37 pm So the only way to get "2filter" with Serum, is to use 2 separate Serums (I know there is the filter in the effects section, but it is only for global - can't be restricted for 1 osc)?
You can send any osc to bypass the filter or as said previously render a different filter sweep to each oscillator separately and go from there. Those are your options, or use 2 instances.

there is 4 filters on serum, one on main panel, one on the fx section, and the eq can be turn into a hp/lp

(notice that both filter fx can also be turned into multi or comb filter...)

drdriller wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 6:27 pm there is 4 filters on serum, one on main panel, one on the fx section, and the eq can be turn into a hp/lp

Isn't that 3 (1 in main panel, 1 on the fx, 1 eq)? Or did I misunderstand something?

Tannaliini wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 2:25 pm How do you feel about synth having only 1 filter?
i assume you mean one as in not two (in parallel or serial) as opposed to one type?

a single filter is absolutely fine here, even if it's just LP (very rare use anything else)

Tannaliini wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 7:26 pm
drdriller wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 6:27 pm there is 4 filters on serum, one on main panel, one on the fx section, and the eq can be turn into a hp/lp

Isn't that 3 (1 in main panel, 1 on the fx, 1 eq)? Or did I misunderstand something?
Count again: 1 main filter, one filter fx, 1 HP and 1 LP in the EQ

Second: Regarding to the wide variety of sounds Serum is capable of I don´t think there is so much need for a second filter...
And for the rare case you need something really in parallel you can always use a second instance by duplicating the first and make you changes there...

AnX wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 7:46 pm
a single filter is absolutely fine here, even if it's just LP (very rare use anything else)
It's just you (hey, Fluffy! :D )

Good thing about dual filters in parallel configuration is that you can smoothly crossfade between their output, e.g. by assigning the filter balance to a modwheel or an envelope. It's not directly possible in Serum but you can make similar things with the multimode filters Serum has.
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

gentleclockdivider wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 9:07 am
An eq processes stereo signals , a polyphonic filter processes each voice .
okay thanks, I have to try this! :tu:

Tannaliini wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 2:25 pm How do you feel about synth having only 1 filter?
If the synth sounds interesting, it doesn't matter for me. I would use it anyway.
Tannaliini wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 2:25 pmI am just curious how much it effects sound designing if there is 1 filter compared to 2?
It won't affect my sound design process, I choose the right tool for my purpose before starting.

Tannaliini wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 7:26 pm

Serum has only 1 filter yes , but do you know how many filters are actually engaged when you play for example a seventh chord ?
Four filters , because each voice is filtered , this is called a polyphonic filter
A filter inthe effects section processes the whole audio stream ( mostly stereo ) , so these are single stereo filters iow not processed on a per voice basis .
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

As they say in Irish bars, one is just right, two is too many, and three is not nearly enough.
Doing nothing is only fun when you have something you are supposed to do.

Not a huge deal to me, especially with the FX section and large selection of filters (including stuff like bandpass, formant etc. which might otherwise require 2 filters). There are so many synths to choose from that each one doesn't have to do everything imaginable.

Return to “Instruments”