Should I buy VPS Avenger, or should I wait for VPS Avenger 2 and a better copy protection?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

starflakeprj wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 6:27 pm I am neither religious nor superstitious, so I couldn't care less about what type of copy protection a software use. As long as I'm not forced into buying something I don't have, like a dongle, to protect the software. That, for me, would have been a deal breaker. IF a software changes its copy protection along the way I still wouldn't care, unless I have to buy something additional.

But I guess we are all different.
I don't think one needs to be either religious or superstitious to be concerned about the reported adverse impact CodeMeter has had on some people's systems (as set forth in other threads), in addition to system resource usage.

Of course, I acknowledge that I have no first hand knowledge (as I refuse to risk installing it), and that CodeMeter may not have created problems for (the majority of?) users.

In the end, as you say, we are all different as to our risk tolerances, and whether we think it is fair to place that risk (however small) or increased system usage (however incremental) on the consumer for something (like CodeMeter) that, as with any copy protection system, fundamentally is solely for the benefit of the developer.

StardragonEX wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 8:44 am
What should I do? I really like the sounds of this synth and its expansions.
There's no use waiting, they don't change the current protection. BTW codemeter works without problem for me, and I also like avenger. If you want to get one cheap, find a second hand license in the sell&buy forum. Several users try to sell their licenses, just because they still haven't realized how good avenger is.

dune_rave wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 6:58 pm
There's no use waiting, they don't change the current protection. BTW codemeter works without problem for me, and I also like avenger. If you want to get one cheap, find a second hand license in the sell&buy forum. Several users try to sell their licenses, just because they still haven't realized how good avenger is.
I realize how good it is. That's why I bought it in the first place. It's VPS' unilateral and post-sale imposition of CodeMeter that upsets me.

I also will try to sell my license at some point; it's useless to me now.

Buy Rapid. Way better tested updates, way less bugs, hassle free copy protection, similar concept.

Let me know via PM if you want my license :-)
"Out beyond the ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I’ll meet you there." - Rumi
ScreenDream Instagram Mastodon

starflakeprj wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 6:27 pm I am neither religious nor superstitious, so I couldn't care less about what type of copy protection a software use. As long as I'm not forced into buying something I don't have, like a dongle, to protect the software. That, for me, would have been a deal breaker. IF a software changes its copy protection along the way I still wouldn't care, unless I have to buy something additional.

You wouldn't care if the new copy protection system starts making your synth unstable or not easy to use anymore? :o For me that would be real bad thing - first buy expensive synth, then suddenly it's copy protection system is changed which makes the synth unstable etc... But yea, we are all different :D

SirkusPi wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 7:05 pm I realize how good it is. That's why I bought it in the first place. It's VPS' unilateral and post-sale imposition of CodeMeter that upsets me.
Yes, this is why I'm selling it as well. It's a very powerful synth otherwise, just not a fan of the licensing system.

Tannaliini wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 7:17 pm

You wouldn't care if the new copy protection system starts making your synth unstable or not easy to use anymore? :o For me that would be real bad thing - first buy expensive synth, then suddenly it's copy protection system is changed which makes the synth unstable etc... But yea, we are all different :D
Ok, I forgot to add. As long as it's working as expected I wouldn't care :)

And Avenger still does, work as expected, for me.
i9-10900K | 128GB DDR4 | RTX 3090 | Arturia AudioFuse/KeyLab mkII/SparkLE | PreSonus ATOM/ATOM SQ | Studio One | Reason | Bitwig Studio | Reaper | Renoise | FL Studio | ~900 VSTs | 300+ REs

It actually sounds more like people are not really enjoying to use the synth if they are trying to sell it... Especially if many people are selling it, that sounds a bit strange :scared: I haven't really searched if it's been sold more than other synths, but I've heard similar comments as yours (that Avenger is trying to be sold second hand more than other synths), so maybe that is the case then.

If you buy a Lamborghini, but its key doesn't work, every other car is better! :D

There are a ton of people over at the Avenger User Group who think very differently to many in this thread.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/VPSAvenger

Avenger is one amazing synth. It does so much.

I don't know of a synth that does more, and carries it off so effortlessly

And VPS is still going strong.

But many people here don't want to hear that.

They enjoy slagging it off. It's like a pet hobby :lol: :clap: :lol:
Member 12, Studio One v6.5, VPS Avenger, Kontakt 7, Spitfire, Dune, Arturia, Sonible, Baby Audio, CableGuys, Nektar Panorama P1, Vaporizer 2 to test out

kevvvvv wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 9:52 pm There are a ton of people over at the Avenger User Group who think very differently to many in this thread.

What I’ve heard, on that group negative comments are not allowed... So naturally there aren’t any in that case :D

And I don’t think ANYONE has said the synth itself is “bad”, quite the opposite I think. Just that it doesn’t work properly & the protection system is difficult. Very much different than saying the sound of the synth would be bad etc?

kevvvvv wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 9:52 pm There are a ton of people over at the Avenger User Group who think very differently to many in this thread.

Odd choice to make your point.
I do not doubt that they are many people who love Avenger. I have no doubt it may be many users favourite plugin...
I think it is sounds really good, and is very flexible..... But it is definitely not my favourite synth, and is a resource hog on my system.

But I find it odd that you would choose a platform that has had issues with Bots AND that is very censored to make your point.
rsp
Last edited by zvenx on Fri Jun 05, 2020 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sound sculptist

Well probably not the smartest move to have a filter bubble group as the proof for how popular this synth is :lol: But we can still count the amount of people with technical difficulties in this group and the many screenshots of copy protection issues (if they havn't already been kicked of course).

But some people don't want to hear that :wink:

Avenger is a very good synth, no need to wait.
The copy protection works fine and a good compromise according to the user survey they done.

Have it installed on three systems mac and win10. No Problems at all. They do not will chance it. why they should because some noobs are unable to go through three steps to install?
Or are afraid that reptilians will steal secret nr. 1 hit chord progression if they connect to the internet for a short period? (yes you need to refresh all three months by one click... very difficult.. not)

The same Crybabies at the FB Group. Buy the Software, you will not regret it, it's still envolving and has unbeaten nice features. The second version will be 2022 I think.

EDIT:
The only thing you have to keep in mind is that avenger is hungry for cpu.

Return to “Instruments”