Another old mix vs new mix. What do you think?

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I finished this one as a single a while ago, but I decided to tweak the mix for the album. I was mostly really unhappy with the tone of the guitar during the solo.

Anyway, check them out side by side, and please offer specific improvements you think could be made to the new version... hopefully you'll think the new mix is better. :hihi:

I haven't done a lot, just pulled out a fair bit of reverb (I'm finally starting to listen :hihi: ), and did low pass filtering on every track to get rid of any bass that is't needed. The low pass thing is something I've never done in the past, but I'm sold, and I'm doing it on all my songs from now on.

Thanks. :tu:

Original mix

https://soundcloud.com/anelectricheartm ... quid-dream

New mix

https://soundcloud.com/anelectricheartm ... am-new-mix

I like the new mix. Vocals great as usual.
Here are a few minor observations.
0:00-0:20 You have a very low saw-type grainy synth bass which is pretty much there throughout the song. I'd try another bass sound personally. Im doing a song now, and I had that type of bass sound. After a while trying to EQ it to sound better, I threw it out and chose a different sound.
0:58 arp a little too hot in the mix as it competing with the vocals a bit for attention
2:48 great guitar
3:27 beautiful vocal adlib
this is a very good song :tu:

Bansaw wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 11:53 pm I like the new mix. Vocals great as usual.
Here are a few minor observations.
0:00-0:20 You have a very low saw-type grainy synth bass which is pretty much there throughout the song. I'd try another bass sound personally. Im doing a song now, and I had that type of bass sound. After a while trying to EQ it to sound better, I threw it out and chose a different sound.
0:58 arp a little too hot in the mix as it competing with the vocals a bit for attention
2:48 great guitar
3:27 beautiful vocal adlib
this is a very good song :tu:
Cheers. I really don't want to change the bass. It's a bass sound I'm using on a few songs throughout the album. I'll look at the arp during the chorus though, I wondered myself about bringing that down a touch, but did decide the singing was getting through, and clear enough. There are two arps actually, one on the left, and one on the right

Geezer report based on 1 time listen. Both well done. #2 is much better. Not at all difficult to decide.

#1 sounds like, "well done home studio."

#2 spunds radio ready. "Home studio" doesnt even come to mind. Lots worse stuff makes it onto the local college radio playlists.

New mix is definitely more in your face! Less muddy.

by far my fav tune of yours now even better, thanks for sharing! :tu:
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

Cheers for the feedback, guys. The only thing I've changed is added some automation to pull the arps down a touch for the chorus. There's something about the tone of the guitar during the solo that I'm still not quite feeling, but I might just have get over it. Believe it or not, I really like Pink Floyd, so I was trying to get it close to David Gilmour's tone, and it isn't far off... I don't want to copy someone else's tone exactly anyway.

Return to “Music Cafe”