Which is faster? Integrated vs. External USB audio interfaces

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

My Roland synths have integrated USB audio ports. When connected to my Macbook via USB cables, they are recognized as audio interfaces. I'm getting more serious about music production, so I'm going to buy a decent external audio interface (Steinberg or Focusrite or Presonus). I have two options.

Option 1: Buy a simple audio interface, use it as an output device only, and continue to use Roland's integrated USB audio ports.

Option 2: Buy an audio interface with 8 inputs, and handle all audio duties with the interface without Roland's ports.

Wouldn't Option 1 give me lower latency? My guess is because, during recording, the Roland synths will simply send audio in digital format to my DAW via USB cables whereas with Option 2 an external audio interface will first convert analogue signals from the synths to digital signals and then send them to my DAW. Thanks in advance.

In theory any ASIO audio interace should have excellent low latency. Are you using USB with the Rolands(?) for midi as well as audio? If so. Option 1 makes sense to me, altho I doubt it'll affect the speed. Depends on your midi setup too ...

Another option might be a small mixer with a decent built-in audio interface or a (cheaper) 2 input audio interface & small analog mixer. How many audio inputs would be ideal?

You might want to make sure that all your Roland synths can send audio via USB at any and all sample rates and bit-depths you might want to use. If they're limited to just one or two rates and depths, this may become an issue for you when you try to integrate them with other synths.

You can also test the latency in the options you're considering by using any of the free MIDI latency testing apps available. Or to make your own, simply have your DAW trigger a sample on the Roland synths that has an immediate attack and short decay/release. Record that back into your DAW and see how far off the audio is from the MIDI note in each of your scenarios. This isn't a "perfect" test, but it's easily repeatable (and doable) and you can quickly and easily compare values between your synths using audio over USB or the audio device. The Mac's built-in audio system should be sufficient for this test, but I welcome any Mac users who have more experience with the built-in system's limitations.

Steve
Here's some of my stuff: https://soundcloud.com/shadowsoflife. If you hear something you like, I'm looking for collaborators.

Dispite the cost I would go for audio interface that allow as many audio inputs as needed.
If interface has ADAT optical input you can easily extend with 8 inputs with line/mic inputs.
So a Behringer ADA8200 could extend over ADAT giving 8 inputs.

This because a single interface would syncronize all audio that enter computer - and no issues with various clocks differing and getting occasional pops and crackles even.

Unless special driver, which I believe ASIO4ALL do, that can do that for you these various usb ports become their own audio interface painting yourself into a corner, kind of.

At start with more external gear I went the cheap route, and had a patchbay where I connected one synth at a time to inputs I had and recorded this when that was done, and went on with next. Works fine too. You don't usually need to run all gear realtime until the end, just record one stereo pair as needed and you have the audio in daw.

Unfortunately its not as simple as USB versus internal. Some internal devices will not be as low-latency optimised(*)as some USB devices and vice versa. The drivers counts for a lot.

(*) its not just about how low a latency you can get, but whether that's stable, doesnt hog CPU etc.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

Chrisk-K wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 12:29 am Wouldn't Option 1 give me lower latency?
This will give an idea about latency...
https://static.gearslutz.com/board/imge ... 88e4a01b6b

I guess latency won't be a real issue. A potential issue would be whether multiple synths from different manufacturers (e.g., Roland, Yamaha) will work well together via their own USB-audio drivers (I'll be getting a Yamaha MODX7, which works as a USB audio interface).

With Option 1, I'd deal with three audio interfaces and three drivers (Roland, Yamaha and, say, Focusrite 2i2). It would be tricky to trouble-shoot if something went wrong. With Option 2, I'd deal with only a single interface and a single driver (e.g., Focusrite 18i6), which will make my life much easier. The cost difference between the two options would be about $300. Nothing is easy in this world!

Using multiple USB audio options built into synths will simply not work. One will be ok, two might be as well, but as soon as you start using more there will be numerous timing/glitching issues.

It's always best to invest in the highest quality audio interface that's as future proof as possible, as early as possible.

So, RME.

tehlord wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 1:36 pm but as soon as you start using more there will be numerous timing/glitching issues.
I'm leaning toward investing on a nice dedicated audio interface. I guess it's worth not having to deal with multiple audio drivers and potential issues.

Chrisk-K wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 2:25 pm
tehlord wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 1:36 pm but as soon as you start using more there will be numerous timing/glitching issues.
I'm leaning toward investing on a nice dedicated audio interface. I guess it's worth not having to deal with multiple audio drivers and potential issues.
:tu:

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”