Syntronik, what do they tell me about?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

The guys who know more about synthesis and emulations ...
What do you tell me about Syntronik from IK Multimedia? I had the opportunity to get it with a package, but I see little discussion about it.
Compared to the minimoog, OBX, Prophet emulations out there, where can we put Syntronik?
Even now they are offering the OBXa solution for free, perhaps taking the momentum of the launch of Arturia ...

Well, Syntronik isn’t a true synthesizer in the strict sense of the word, or an emulation. It’s an extensive sample library of classic synths combined with a generic synth engine which has multiple guis that look like the synths that have been sampled. A classic synth rompler, as it were, with some added control. I like Syntronik, But it is not the same sort of product as Arturia is making. The filter for instance is one of sampletank’s filters, not one that is modeled after specific hardware. Compare Syntronik more with the UVI synth vault or products like that.

But in terms of sound? Do you think it comes close to what is being emulated, or is it just a slight idea ...? I didn't really like the usability ... The first thing I change about a preset is exactly something on the oscillator ...

It’s made from recordings of the real thing, so in general it sounds spot on. But only for static sounds, if you use the filter for sweeps and such, it’ll sound less authentic than a modeled synth.

For the emulation part of it, it is really not the most accurate. The sound is very pristine, much more so than the original synths.

That said, I use it quite often because there are some really nice sounds in it. I'd suggest trying the free OB-Xa to see how you like it. If you were going after authenticity for Oberheim sounds, I'd recommend the Sonic Projects OP-X Pro II which is modeled after an OB-X (not OB-Xa like Arturia) and Roland Cloud for Roland sounds.

Syntronik being a ROMpler has a different work flow because you need to find the right oscillator samples to start with...which is not ideal if you do a lot of programming. However, if you are patient you can make some very beautiful sounds.

On the libraries I have tested and where I can make real comparisons it has the sound and the character of the real deal but the synthesis engine of course is simplified. I'd like to see a delay on the LFO on the Juno 60 model which is a basic feature but absent here. On the other hand it has a s/h on the LFO which is not on the Juno 60 and it is really nice to have. I find the samples do a better job of capturing the character and punch of the Oscillators than some of the VSTs out there.

It has a powerful effect rack with some really great processors on board and arpeggiator system in there and you can layer different synth models up in to the rack and mix them setting key splits if you want. I love the skeuomorphic gui in it but if you just want a flat modern interface you can load these up in SampleTank 4 and you'll get all the features without the photo realistic look (if that floats your boat) .
Last edited by Scotty on Fri Jun 05, 2020 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ShawnG wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 2:28 pmThe filter for instance is one of sampletank’s filters, not one that is modeled after specific hardware.
Erm, surely one of the selling points of Syntronik was that it did have entirely new, filters modelled after specific hardware. If they were in ST, they got rolled into ST from Syntronik, not Syntronik from ST.
we evolved our synth engine to include circuit-level filter models of 4 of the best sounding machines of all time: Moog transistor ladder, (found in the Minimoog and Modular Moog), Roland's IR3109 chip (found in the Jupiter-8 and Juno-60), the famous Curtis CEM3320 chip (found in the Prophet-5 and Oberheim OB-Xa) and the Oberheim SEM state variable filter.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

This is cool! I got the full version when I bought Total Max. But I'm still experimenting. However, workflow is really being an issue. Each sound change requires waiting for samples to load. Terrible

KIMCHRISTOPHER wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 3:13 pm This is cool! I got the full version when I bought Total Max. But I'm still experimenting. However, workflow is really being an issue. Each sound change requires waiting for samples to load. Terrible
If you havent already, put them on an SSD.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

KIMCHRISTOPHER wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 3:13 pm This is cool! I got the full version when I bought Total Max. But I'm still experimenting. However, workflow is really being an issue. Each sound change requires waiting for samples to load. Terrible
I think you actually got most but not all of them - 17 with Total Max). Total Max didn't include Syntronix Deluxe which had all of them (22 in total) . Regardless, you have plenty to keep you happy and busy that's for sure.

whyterabbyt wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 3:03 pm
ShawnG wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 2:28 pmThe filter for instance is one of sampletank’s filters, not one that is modeled after specific hardware.
Erm, surely one of the selling points of Syntronik was that it did have entirely new, filters modelled after specific hardware. If they were in ST, they got rolled into ST from Syntronik, not Syntronik from ST.
we evolved our synth engine to include circuit-level filter models of 4 of the best sounding machines of all time: Moog transistor ladder, (found in the Minimoog and Modular Moog), Roland's IR3109 chip (found in the Jupiter-8 and Juno-60), the famous Curtis CEM3320 chip (found in the Prophet-5 and Oberheim OB-Xa) and the Oberheim SEM state variable filter.
Fair :tu: there are 4 filters, and for the OP one of them is the one from the OB-Xa. Obviously not all Syntronik instruments are using the filter modeled specifically after that hardware, which is what I was speaking to more generally. But I was going from recollection, so fair point.

ShawnG wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 2:28 pm Well, Syntronik isn’t a true synthesizer in the strict sense of the word, or an emulation. It’s an extensive sample library of classic synths combined with a generic synth engine which has multiple guis that look like the synths that have been sampled. A classic synth rompler, as it were, with some added control. I like Syntronik, But it is not the same sort of product as Arturia is making. The filter for instance is one of sampletank’s filters, not one that is modeled after specific hardware. Compare Syntronik more with the UVI synth vault or products like that.
Add to that that free running oscillators don't compare to static samples of oscillators ... Sampled analog can be nice, but it's basically different from modelled analog.
http://www.lelotusbleu.fr Synth Presets

77 Exclusive Soundbanks for 23 synths, 8 Sound Designers, Hours of audio Demos. The Sound you miss might be there

Lotuzia wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 3:32 pm
Add to that that free running oscillators don't compare to static samples of oscillators ... Sampled analog can be nice, but it's basically different from modelled analog.
The distinction is of course accurate but it may not matter in some contexts. You likely aren't going to know unless you have the synth fully exposed in a mix and you are really looking for those variations with beforehand knowledge. Many producers are using samples of this gear anyway and triggering it MPC style. Your point is a good one I just don't believe it is a deal breaker for many of us.

The filters are modeled and not from SampleTank. Syntronik also adds DRIFT™ technology to accurately reproduce the behavior of oscillators from real hardware synths so they are not just static samples.

btw Peter, do you know if any synth additions are being planned to Syntronik in the future? Or is it done as is?

Return to “Instruments”