Should I buy VPS Avenger, or should I wait for VPS Avenger 2 and a better copy protection?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

SLiC wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 1:39 pm if sales drop off....but if all of this noise isn't affecting their sales then they probably don't give a monkeys what people think about their copy protection...its their business, their choice...they charge for licences transfers don't they? Maybe they are making a killing from that!
It would be interesting how many people are going to sell their avenger and how many keep it or even buy it. I keep mine since I love the workflow and do not have any serious issues with CodeMeter so far.
That's my current direction I can't promise that it will be the same for the next 10 years, tho.

The only things I currently dislike on Avenger are:

* Plugin GUI shows slower compared to other synths (not that serious but it would be nice)

* PDC is broken in some DAW's

* Avenger do not report preset parameters when chaning presets which results in a corrupted mapping of attached control surfaces (in my case FaderPort 16)

Rene is aware of theses issues and I have faith that he solve theses issues in the any time soon.

Recap: positive factores are still higher then negative for me
Studio One, Logic
macOS
–– -
http://ansolas.de

I wish there was another 327 threads on Avenger's copy protection system.
http://www.guyrowland.co.uk
http://www.sound-on-screen.com
W10, i7 7820X, 64gb RAM, RME Babyface, 1050ti, PT 2023 Ultimate, Cubase Pro 13
Macbook Air M2 OSX 10.15

savagedog wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 10:35 pm Avenger is a very good synth, no need to wait.
The copy protection works fine and a good compromise according to the user survey they done.

Have it installed on three systems mac and win10. No Problems at all. They do not will chance it. why they should because some noobs are unable to go through three steps to install?
Or are afraid that reptilians will steal secret nr. 1 hit chord progression if they connect to the internet for a short period? (yes you need to refresh all three months by one click... very difficult.. not)

The same Crybabies at the FB Group. Buy the Software, you will not regret it, it's still envolving and has unbeaten nice features. The second version will be 2022 I think.

EDIT:
The only thing you have to keep in mind is that avenger is hungry for cpu.
I trust less and less to the people that tell me to buy it. I don't really see the people against Avenger ever insulting directly or indirectly other people, but I do see it with the fans of it, that is not ok.

If it was as good as you say, why to insult other people. It seems to me that many of the Avenger fans are kind of brainwashed.

Moreover CodeMeter is a real concern for a lot of people (even if it's the minority) and for me too.
Just watch what happened to Doom Eternal video game when they added a bullshit anti-cheat system. The same happens with Avenger and its copy protection (to a lesser degree though).

I also tried the demo, and I'm not impressed with it, it felt very laggy when moving the knobs, searching for a factory preset, etc.

The sound also didn't impress me as Dune 3 did, which is going to be the plugin I'm gonna buy first. The Avenger bells were good though.

I don't really know anymore if I will ever buy Avenger if they maintain the current copy protection.

And the reptilians do exist, but they aren't reptiles they are mammals. You will know they exist if you ask you own spirit to make you know someway or another, maybe it won't respond you with words but in another way it will let you know. You can read this: "https://www.alliesofhumanity.org/allies1/" and this: "https://www.alliesofhumanity.org/allies2/" also.

Anyways I don't really think they are interested in a plugin.
Last edited by StardragonEX on Fri Jun 05, 2020 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Still on version 1 and will stay on it until they do the dongle update.
Their new copy protection is just too iffy for me especially after hearing the problems some people are having.

@StardragonEX.

Of course, whether you choose to buy or not buy it is entirely your own decision, and it sounds to me like you are basing your decision on the best criteria for a synth -- sound, interface, workflow etc. I have Avenger and happen to disagree with you, but that is no problem. I would suggest that trying to draw inferences about the entire group of Avenger users (i.e., that they are all brainwashed) based on a post or two is going to end up being an unhelpful exercise for you, but of course that is again your decision.

For what its worth, I bought Avenger secondhand for pretty cheap after demoing and really loving the sound and flexibility, and it is one of my favorite synths. Codemeter has been no problem at all (and like I said I have been using it for years with no problem). As I have used CodeMeter for so long they have really proved their reliability to me, which actually makes me feel more confident than I would be with some developer's home-grown copy protection scheme. The interface is as fast and responsive as any on my system. If you have not already, you might try turning the FPS mode from "ECO" to "HIGH" which makes it feel more responsive.

In any event, I'm sure you will do fine with whatever you choose to buy as we are all totally spoiled for choice with the wonderful powerhouse synths available.

SLiC wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 1:39 pm ... they charge for licences transfers don't they? Maybe they are making a killing from that!
Now that sounds like an interesting business strategy. :hihi:

rj0 wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 6:38 pm
SLiC wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 1:39 pm ... they charge for licences transfers don't they? Maybe they are making a killing from that!
Now that sounds like an interesting business strategy. :hihi:
:hihi: :hihi: :hihi:

SLiC wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 1:39 pm The fact that (rightly or wrongly) it bothers some people to the point that they sell the product, and others that they won't buy the product should concern the developer. Being 'right' wont help them if sales drop off....but if all of this noise isn't affecting their sales then they probably don't give a monkeys what people think about their copy protection...its their business, their choice...they charge for licences transfers don't they? Maybe they are making a killing from that!
I was readin another post, where one the developers(?) was attacking some person + accusing him to be a person blocked from Avenger FB group. This was sooo strange (there were people worried about the code meter affecting the Avenger not to work properly or taking CPU etc - he didn't really give ANY answer for those, just started to blame this person to be blocked from their FB). Turned out the person was totally different person after all... This was just SO strange thing to read :o

So this just made me think that the Avenger group maybe concentrate on wrong issues :dog:

Nobody apparently realizes that Reason also uses Codemeter, but it doesn't get so much bad press only because it's hidden from the end-user... so basically if they update it in such a way that Codemeter is, mostly, invisible and no user interaction required nobody would complain :shrug:

wombat778 wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 4:57 pm @StardragonEX.

Of course, whether you choose to buy or not buy it is entirely your own decision, and it sounds to me like you are basing your decision on the best criteria for a synth -- sound, interface, workflow etc. I have Avenger and happen to disagree with you, but that is no problem.
You seem like a good person.

Yes, I'm basing my criteria in sound, capabilities, performance, interface, professional presets available, etc. I don't know if it's the best criteria, but that is what I'm searching for now. I'm kind of new to trying synths for real (with all the learning it takes) to be honest. I don't know so much yet, but I prefer capabilities to easy to use, because I'm gonna invest in mastering the plugins I will buy.

And it's ok to disagree of course. It's your opinion, I'm not against your opinion. I'm against when some people force their opinion on you, and that is what some people have been doing insulting others.

I would suggest that trying to draw inferences about the entire group of Avenger users (i.e., that they are all brainwashed) based on a post or two is going to end up being an unhelpful exercise for you, but of course that is again your decision.
I said that they seems kind of brainwashed. But I know it's probably a minority. It's never everyone in my life in anything in my life experience. It kind of scares me to be honest when people are like that though, that isn't sane.

Regarding CodeMeter, no copy protection it's good if it's running when it shouldn't be running. That is like taking part of your computer without your permission. I don't want that.
For what its worth, I bought Avenger secondhand for pretty cheap after demoing and really loving the sound and flexibility, and it is one of my favorite synths. Codemeter has been no problem at all (and like I said I have been using it for years with no problem). As I have used CodeMeter for so long they have really proved their reliability to me, which actually makes me feel more confident than I would be with some developer's home-grown copy protection scheme. The interface is as fast and responsive as any on my system. If you have not already, you might try turning the FPS mode from "ECO" to "HIGH" which makes it feel more responsive.
I also been thinking in buying it secondhand to be honest. But I've never do so, I read the advice they give you in the forum though, so I probably do it sometime in the future.

Where is the option ECO and HIGH. Is it in the demo?
In any event, I'm sure you will do fine with whatever you choose to buy as we are all totally spoiled for choice with the wonderful powerhouse synths available.
Yeah probably, some people have recommend me Falcon and Phase Plant too, but I like Avenger expansions, so I haven't put Avenger out of my list of plugins I want.

I hope you have a great day. :D

StardragonEX wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 9:45 pm Where is the option ECO and HIGH. Is it in the demo?
I'm not 100% sure if the option is in the demo, because the demo is a slightly older version I think. But in the latest version it is here:
Capture.JPG
It made the whole interface "feel" a lot better to me and I didn't notice any obvious change in CPU usage.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Yeah it worked. The plugins works much better that way to be honest.

I think I gonna buy it now. :D
Well, there is that DRM though.

I'm gonna save for it in the end, probably I will get it secondhand.

Thanks @wombat778

How could all musicians in every electronic genre produce great tracks since decades without Avenger? Avenger is god and all other synths are slaves! That discussion reminds me of the hardware workstation grandfathers. They buy since decades "all in one keys" and praise them like you Avenger here! But since decades, nobody produced good and individual (!) full tracks with them! :D

You can get Avenger on second hand, and if I remember correctly it has been about 100€ at their own site time to time. If you’re not in hurry, maybe wait for their next sale (& you could try other demos while waiting: Serum, Ana2, Pigments2... sooo many good synths out there today).

Ana2 is about 50€ right now and Pigments2 seems to be on sale time to time also. Serum has never been on sale after the introduction price.

Blaster wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 9:25 pm Nobody apparently realizes that Reason also uses Codemeter, but it doesn't get so much bad press only because it's hidden from the end-user... so basically if they update it in such a way that Codemeter is, mostly, invisible and no user interaction required nobody would complain :shrug:
It has been mentioned in other forums where people discuss problems with Avenger’s code meter. I think why Reason hasn’t been criticized:
1. The code meter doesn’t affect the program to be unstable
2. With Reason the reactivating is easy (or it goes on the background so you don’t need to worry about it)
3. The customer support of Reason is good, where VPS Avenger’s support has been criticized
4. VPS Avenger changed their copy protection system suddenly (and some people are angry about that, and some people are angry since after this their synth started to be unstable etc etc)

Just what I have gathered from people’s comments & experiences. So maybe those things all together

Return to “Instruments”