“Safety Dance”- 80’s Classic Covered on a Phone

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Thanks as always, for checking out my music . I do my best to pay tribute to these songs, as they mean a lot to me, and hopefully many of you. Feedback is always appreciated and well respected.

https://soundcloud.com/michaeltaylorsmu ... -dance-wav

Nice cover! Best regards! 💚

Well at least you had fun making this I hope? The instrumental itself is not that bad but the vocals are a bit over the top. And to much reverb in certain areas in my opinion.
Heavenly Sounds Approved This.

Mozex wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 7:01 pm Well at least you had fun making this I hope? The instrumental itself is not that bad but the vocals are a bit over the top. And to much reverb in certain areas in my opinion.
I had a blast making this. A friend of mine did lead vocals. His wife did the lady parts, I did backups. I actually think he(they) did a great job tbh. Not an easy vocal to cover. The original vocals themselves are a bit over the top, no?

You said the instrumental is “not that bad”. What would make it better, specifically?

I have nothing to say actually about the instrumental at all, it was very good.
Heavenly Sounds Approved This.

Mozex wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 6:04 am I have nothing to say actually about the instrumental at all, it was very good.
Thanks, much appreciated. As far as the vocals, you have a fair point. My buddy (on lead vox) was concerned that they sounded too cheesey, but I thought the original vocals were kinda cheesey too, so I said just go with it. This was after he had done multiple takes. It’s tricky to micromanage someone else's vocals. If I asked him to tone it down he may have gone too far the other way. Then what? I thought all things considered he did a great job. Thanks again for listening, I appreciate your discerning ear.

Good, enjoyed it. I am familiar with the original.
Some comments. Vocals had a similar slapback/reverb effect so it was pretty close to the original fx, but slightly pitchy.
1:05 high pitched pluck too loud in the mix
2:59 Is that a Geordie accent I can detect on the female vocal !?
All in all, a very respectable and enjoyable cover.
:tu:

Bansaw wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 10:53 pm Good, enjoyed it. I am familiar with the original.
Some comments. Vocals had a similar slapback/reverb effect so it was pretty close to the original fx, but slightly pitchy.
1:05 high pitched pluck too loud in the mix
2:59 Is that a Geordie accent I can detect on the female vocal !?
All in all, a very respectable and enjoyable cover.
:tu:
Thanks so much for listening, and especially for the detailed feedback. (That’s a faux Geordie accent from a New England lass)

Well done especially on a phone. Hard to imagine doing it on a phone. That alone amazes this geezer. The average practitioner would not do it that good on an old style portastudio.

Reminds of the old saying something like, "It is not so much that the horse dances well, but that the horse can dance at all." And in this case the horse is dancing great, maling it doubly amazing. :)

Return to “Music Cafe”