SonicLab x HAINBACH Test Equipment Instrument!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

On the filtering, no mystery - the usual way :). The frequencies do not need to be random btw, one of the most interesting features of the plugin is the harmonic ratio slider - you set the fundamental and then the ratio and it spreads the frequencies out. If you want to play it then you can control the fundamental oscillator via midi.

Got it - thanks!

A demo including MPE with the Seaboard:

http://youtu.be/_sR9CWALT88

I would love to be able to have one of those Roli keyboards - thanks for that demo it was great to see your hand and finger movements linked to the sound.

Has anyone else started to seriously think about the BOT series now they have played with Fundamental? I am sorely tempted - but as usual need to sell a few things first

Friendly Noise wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 8:26 am A demo including MPE with the Seaboard:

http://youtu.be/_sR9CWALT88
Beautiful - must get this

Beautiful - already have it

Calenberger wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 6:36 am
fairlyclose wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 1:37 am
simmo75 wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 12:12 am
foosnark wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 8:23 pm It's not meant to be played with MIDI (other than specialized MPE control), but you can use MIDI Note On to assign pitches to individual oscillators when you select them in the GUI.

It is very musical if you are open minded and experimental. 8)
Thanks for the reply. It would make such a lush electric piano from what I’ve heard.

The developer says that it is playable on a keyboard, so I’m a little confused now... Think I’ll wait and see what develops.
I think all you can with midi is set the oscillator's base frequency and I am not sure if that can be automated at all. I dont think this can be thought of as a synth in the usual way, but more as a sound source. I have not tried playing it through Pitchmap yet - that might be quite amazing...or not :)

EDIT - tried pitchmap with fundamental and it is amazing
Now it has become VERY interesting for me!
How do you set it up with Pitchmap?

aMUSEd wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 9:57 am
fairlyclose wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 1:37 am
simmo75 wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 12:12 am
foosnark wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 8:23 pm It's not meant to be played with MIDI (other than specialized MPE control), but you can use MIDI Note On to assign pitches to individual oscillators when you select them in the GUI.

It is very musical if you are open minded and experimental. 8)
Thanks for the reply. It would make such a lush electric piano from what I’ve heard.

The developer says that it is playable on a keyboard, so I’m a little confused now... Think I’ll wait and see what develops.
I think all you can with midi is set the oscillator's base frequency and I am not sure if that can be automated at all. I dont think this can be thought of as a synth in the usual way, but more as a sound source. I have not tried playing it through Pitchmap yet - that might be quite amazing...or not :)

EDIT - tried pitchmap with fundamental and it is amazing
Fundamental as instrument and Pitchmap as FX.
Or as Midi FX.
Or sidechaining.
There are three ways to set it up and it's explained in the Pitchmap manual.

Calenberger wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 10:10 am
aMUSEd wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 9:57 am
Fundamental as instrument and Pitchmap as FX.
Or as Midi FX.
Or sidechaining.
There are three ways to set it up and it's explained in the Pitchmap manual.
yes it is not so difficult although I guess that depends on the DAW maybe. I have been struggling a bit getting what I want as I have just left Reaper after 10 years or so and switched to Bitwig and Studio One which are quite different to Reaper. So getting say the notes in a midi clip to modulate the osc1 while using a midi keyboard to control gatekeeper (or pitchmap) has been harder than I hoped - in Studio One, easier in Bitwig. But I think that is purely because I am using DAWs I dont know.
Overall Fundamental is the most inspiring device I have bought for music for a very long time and has me looking seriously at the BOT series from the same dev as well. The implied compositional appraoch sits very naturally with me

Oh, I forgot, I use Logic Pro X.
The setup is certainly specific in the different DAWs.

I think this is a wonderful beast- except for the iLok issue, of course.

However I am having trouble using it- it seems to be the cause of crashes in Ableton for me. No problems with anything else. And of course once I have a solution the four days will have run out- seems a very short evaluation period for those of us who are busy?

Anyway I emailed SonicLAB and they basically said "oh well it probably isn't for you". Amazing. I wonder what Hainbach would think?

I now have Fundamental working perfectly as an instrument in Bitwig. Using the Bitwig Keytracking plugin and mapping to Osc1 coarse frequency I can send a midi clip to Fundamental and it will change the root note

I would buy this if I could play it like a keyboard.
I don’t own Pitchmap, is it doable with anything else?

Despite my initial enthusiasm I have now encountered some problems with Fundamental, notably when externally modulating the Coarse Frequencies. I'm pretty much entirely modular based now and I have been hosting it in Voltage Modular and Bidule. With both I get entirely predictable crashes when attempting to automate those parameters (all other parameters are fine).

The dev's attitude to this has been 'interesting'; he certainly doesn't think there could possibly be anything wrong with his plugin.

lnikj wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 5:16 am Despite my initial enthusiasm I have now encountered some problems with Fundamental, notably when externally modulating the Coarse Frequencies. I'm pretty much entirely modular based now and I have been hosting it in Voltage Modular and Bidule. With both I get entirely predictable crashes when attempting to automate those parameters (all other parameters are fine).

The dev's attitude to this has been 'interesting'; he certainly doesn't think there could possibly be anything wrong with his plugin.
I am testing this now in Bitwig and Reaper and might be getting crashes as well. Will contact the dev if it ends up I am and I can be specific about the problem. What exactly did the dev say to your error report?

EDIT - confirmed for Bitwig and Reaper, might only be when using a continuous control like a sine wave.
Last edited by fairlyclose on Thu Jun 25, 2020 5:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Instruments”