Direct midi recording from mixer doesn't work

Official support for: loomer.co.uk
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Niot sure what I am doing wrong here , but clicking on the new icon (enable midi capture ) from within the mixer does nothing
No new midi file is created

Just a simple setup , monosequencer into midi out ( assigned to vst on mixer track 1 )
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

Works here.
[mono step seq] --> [MIDI output] (set to <mixer track name>)
The MIDI Input selector of the Track is set to Track Input.

The new file is created in the MIDI pool upon disengaging the MIDI capture button.
i also placed a MIDI arp VST on the track and its output was then what became content of the capture.
If the track receives no MIDI events, for the duration of an enabled capture button, then nothing is created in the MIDI pool.

levendis wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 8:14 am Works here.

The new file is created in the MIDI pool upon disengaging the MIDI capture button.
Thanks. I haven't had a chance to look into this yet as I'm first investigating a few other bugs. But I should mention that the other catch with writing to the MIDI pool is that the transport needs to be running for capture to work. Stopping the transport should also create the file (same as when the MIDI capture button is clicked off.)
Architect, the modular MIDI toolkit, beta now available for macOS, Windows, and Linux.

colin@loomer wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 8:23 am … I should mention that the other catch with writing to the MIDI pool is that the transport needs to be running for capture to work. Stopping the transport should also create the file (same as when the MIDI capture button is clicked off.)
Thanks for the extra specificities.

It may be useful to have the MIDI capture function available as destination for the [mixer parameter] module.

levendis wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:10 am It may be useful to have the MIDI capture function available as destination for the [mixer parameter] module.
Yeah, that's a great idea. And as a controller mapping destination, also.
Architect, the modular MIDI toolkit, beta now available for macOS, Windows, and Linux.

Still no luck
I load micrtonic vst using only the onboard sequencer ( no architect sequencer ) and that midi output is captured .
But non of the architect sequencers is captured , unless I am totally misunderstanding this feature and it's only meant to capture vst midi outputs and no arch.sequencers
Here's the verry simple set up
Last edited by gentleclockdivider on Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Eyeball exchanging

gentleclockdivider wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:15 am Still no luck
Here's the verry simple set up
That setup looks fine to me. I've fixed that other bug you reported, so I'll take a look at this one right now...

Just to confirm, ABL3 does output MIDI? (You can check this by looking at the plugin properties under INPUT/OUTPUT. It'll say how many MIDI outputs the plug-in supports.)

Some more info about this issue , it seems that certain plugins only will pass through midi when there is an effect applied afterwards
In my case ( see screenshot ) I used abl3 , recording midi didn't work , but when I inserted KLanghelm vumt ( ballistic VU meter ) the midi was recorded
Strange , shouldnt the midi output be taken directly from the architect's sequencers ?
Eyeball exchanging

gentleclockdivider wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:47 am Strange , shouldnt the midi output be taken directly from the architect's sequencers ?
Not if there are plug-ins on the track. MIDI data flows more or less the same way as audio does:

audio input > plugin A > plugin B > audio output
midi input > plugin A > plugin B > midi output

So it'll capture whatever the MIDI the last MIDI outputting plugin outputs. If plugin B output MIDI, it'll record that.

If you want to route from the graph directly to a track for MIDI capture, either:
(a) create another MIDI output module and use that to route directly to a track that you use exclusively for MIDI capture.
or
(b) just create a MIDI capture track and set its MIDI input to the previous track.

colin@loomer wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:51 am
gentleclockdivider wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:47 am Strange , shouldnt the midi output be taken directly from the architect's sequencers ?
Not if there are plug-ins on the track. MIDI data flows more or less the same way as audio does:

audio input > plugin A > plugin B > audio output
midi input > plugin A > plugin B > midi output

So it'll capture whatever the MIDI the last MIDI outputting plugin outputs. If plugin B output MIDI, it'll record that.

If you want to route from the graph directly to a track for MIDI capture, either:
(a) create another MIDI output module and use that to route directly to a track that you use exclusively for MIDI capture.
or
(b) just create a MIDI capture track and set its MIDI input to the previous track.
O.k. but this still doesn;t explain why I need to insert an effect in order to record the midi output directly from that track ( abl 3 )

Example B is a good workaround
Eyeball exchanging

gentleclockdivider wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 10:44 am O.k. but this still doesn;t explain why I need to insert an effect in order to record the midi output directly from that track ( abl 3 )
Example B is a good workaround
No, you're right: it doesn't. I'll look into it...

Think I've fixed this now (in the sense that I've written a whole bunch of tests to check combinations of audio routing and MIDI routing, and they all pass.)

Just to confirm, I have fixed it (which is an upgrade from my previous comment that I think I've fixed it!)

Return to “Loomer”