SonicLab x HAINBACH Test Equipment Instrument!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

fairlyclose wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 5:28 am
lnikj wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 5:16 am Despite my initial enthusiasm I have now encountered some problems with Fundamental, notably when externally modulating the Coarse Frequencies. I'm pretty much entirely modular based now and I have been hosting it in Voltage Modular and Bidule. With both I get entirely predictable crashes when attempting to automate those parameters (all other parameters are fine).

The dev's attitude to this has been 'interesting'; he certainly doesn't think there could possibly be anything wrong with his plugin.
I am testing this now in Bitwig and might be getting crashes as well. Will contact the dev if it ends up I am and I can be specific about the problem. What exactly did the dev say to your error report?
We had a fairly lengthy exchange but at the end of the day: "Your tool does not handle the plugin automation as it should be. I don’t know the inside reason."

lnikj wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 5:32 am
lnikj wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 5:16 am Despite my initial enthusiasm I have now encountered some problems with Fundamental, notably when externally modulating the Coarse Frequencies. I'm pretty much entirely modular based now and I have been hosting it in Voltage Modular and Bidule. With both I get entirely predictable crashes when attempting to automate those parameters (all other parameters are fine).

The dev's attitude to this has been 'interesting'; he certainly doesn't think there could possibly be anything wrong with his plugin.
I am testing this now in Bitwig and might be getting crashes as well. Will contact the dev if it ends up I am and I can be specific about the problem. What exactly did the dev say to your error report?
We had a fairly lengthy exchange but at the end of the day: "Your tool does not handle the plugin automation as it should be. I don’t know the inside reason."
I have Bitwig which the dev also has so it will be easier for him to test

fairlyclose wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 5:36 am

I have Bitwig which the dev also has so it will be easier for him to test
What usage is causing your crashes ?

my testing in bitwig indicates it is just with the continuous controllers like a sine wave lfo. Have you tried using stepped control?
Or maybe it is the range through which the modulation occurs. Anyway I can give the dev a proper bitwig expample that guarantees a crash here and another that does not cause a crash

OK after testing all that and getting crashes, I now have some complex cross modulation of coarse frequency for 5 oscillators with no problems at all. I thought I was going to be setting up a simple example of a bug but this time - not the case at all

fairlyclose wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 6:12 am OK after testing all that and getting crashes, I now have some complex cross modulation of coarse frequency for 5 oscillators with no problems at all. I thought I was going to be setting up a simple example of a bug but this time - not the case at all
My crashes can occur just by adding an automation parameter and attempting to sweep the entire frequency range manually, but they mostly occur when adjusting modulation depth or switching the polarity of the modulation.

The bizarre thing is that I can mostly get away with it IF I modulate another parameter first and then switch back to modulating Coarse Freq. Mostly I say because it will still crash sometimes when I later adjust the modulation depth.

It doesn't surprise me to hear that you can get something complex going - I can too - but then later it will crash through the aforementioned parameter adjustment.

Please persist with investigating this with the dev. I feel my hosts were being dismissed as unimportant (which they probably are for most !) but problems in Bitwig are harder for him to ignore.

lnikj wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 6:21 am
fairlyclose wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 6:12 am OK after testing all that and getting crashes, I now have some complex cross modulation of coarse frequency for 5 oscillators with no problems at all. I thought I was going to be setting up a simple example of a bug but this time - not the case at all
My crashes can occur just by adding an automation parameter and attempting to sweep the entire frequency range manually, but they mostly occur when adjusting modulation depth or switching the polarity of the modulation.

The bizarre thing is that I can mostly get away with it IF I modulate another parameter first and then switch back to modulating Coarse Freq. Mostly I say because it will still crash sometimes when I later adjust the modulation depth.

It doesn't surprise me to hear that you can get something complex going - I can too - but then later it will crash through the aforementioned parameter adjustment.

Please persist with investigating this with the dev. I feel my hosts were being dismissed as unimportant (which they probably are for most !) but problems in Bitwig are harder for him to ignore.
I have got a reproducible instance now, I just sent this to the dev

"add Fundamental
add LFO to modulate osc1 coarse frequency
turn osc1 parameter knob slowly to hard right value = 15000
no problems
turn knob back
turn osc1 parameter knob quickly to hard right value = 15000
crash"

Hopefully he can reproduce this problem and the fix it. I did not get any issues with a working system crashing after a few minutes, only with this rapid adjustment of the parameter

lnikj wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 6:21 am Please persist with investigating this with the dev. I feel my hosts were being dismissed as unimportant (which they probably are for most !) but problems in Bitwig are harder for him to ignore.
the dev reproduced the crash in Bitwig but not consistently and has a solution
= set the low Barrier value to 1

( the Barrier is the long slider on the left that goes from 1-15000)

I tried that and it works. For me also it works if I just dont move the coarse frequency knob quickly, but the Barrier setting can be saved in presets so that is probably better

let me know how you go with that

fairlyclose wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 2:07 am
lnikj wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 6:21 am Please persist with investigating this with the dev. I feel my hosts were being dismissed as unimportant (which they probably are for most !) but problems in Bitwig are harder for him to ignore.
the dev reproduced the crash in Bitwig but not consistently and has a solution
= set the low Barrier value to 1

( the Barrier is the long slider on the left that goes from 1-15000)

I tried that and it works. For me also it works if I just dont move the coarse frequency knob quickly, but the Barrier setting can be saved in presets so that is probably better

let me know how you go with that
Doesn't fix it in Voltage Modular or Bidule. Glad it's fixed for Bitwig though.

lnikj wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 3:18 am Doesn't fix it in Voltage Modular or Bidule. Glad it's fixed for Bitwig though.
sorry to hear that neither of those workarounds work for you.

After I updated the plugin, it crashed in Bitwig for me a couple of times just from using the UI... and then I could not crash it again no matter how hard I tried. Hm.

I feel kinda stupid for asking, but how do you bounce audio from Fundamental in Logic?

Playback via Trig button or C5 works as expected (most of the time) during regular playback. However when I stop playback, select the track and bounce, Fundamental doesn't play anything.
Automating the AR trig or triggering C5 (well, C4 in Logic...) via MIDI clip does jack shit.

What am I missing here? Still running Logic 10.4.3, maybe that's it?

Definitely seems to be somewhat buggy- I think I'll wait until it settles down. Promising little beast though.

^I feel that's a good call. Looks promising indeed, but if it's not one of those cases where you MUST get your hands on it right away, waiting might aid in the experience being much better overall, once everything settles down.
Take care :wink:

derschönekarsten wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 12:18 pm I feel kinda stupid for asking, but how do you bounce audio from Fundamental in Logic?

Playback via Trig button or C5 works as expected (most of the time) during regular playback. However when I stop playback, select the track and bounce, Fundamental doesn't play anything.
Automating the AR trig or triggering C5 (well, C4 in Logic...) via MIDI clip does jack shit.

What am I missing here? Still running Logic 10.4.3, maybe that's it?
It seems that at the moment the only way to get some sound out of it when bouncing is to use the Realtime Mode.
Worked here.

Return to “Instruments”