Contest: July ”Gossip”

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Begins

Maybe do a traditional folk song from any country, but in a non-folk style?
Many paid and free VSTs as well as Kontakt libraries. As well as HW synths/drum machine and acoustic instruments.

How about "In the style of" we choose the artist?
Last edited by The Noodlist on Fri Jun 26, 2020 12:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Is materialism devouring your musical output? :ud:

The Noodlist wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 12:46 am How about "In the style of" you choose the artist?
Actually, I kind of like that. Honestly, this would be very difficult for anybody to pull off convincingly unless they picked an artist so obscure that nobody would know one way or the other. I have no idea what artist I would pick as there are so many I love. Then there's the issue of which one I think I could pull off the best.

Music Bird wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 9:04 pm Maybe do a traditional folk song from any country, but in a non-folk style?
You mean a cover of an existing song?
The Noodlist wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 12:46 am How about "In the style of" we choose the artist?
This is very close to no rule at all if everybody is allowed to take whoever artist they like. What makes a style, how much similarity and on which elements of a song? I've never thought about it.

Both suggestions have the idea of copying something by the way.

harvon wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 8:39 am This is very close to no rule at all if everybody is allowed to take whoever artist they like. What makes a style, how much similarity and on which elements of a song? I've never thought about it.

Beyond, genre we hear the difference between the Rolling Stones, Moby and RHCP. The combined elements make the bigger picture.
Is materialism devouring your musical output? :ud:

Music Bird wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 9:04 pm Maybe do a traditional folk song from any country, but in a non-folk style?
Please explain further.

Hellfog wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 3:44 pm
Please explain further.
For example. A traditional US folk song is "If I Had A Hammer" which was most famously done by Peter Paul & Mary. It's soft guitar and very mellow. Do that in, say, the style of heavy metal or disco or punk. I'm pretty sure that's what he means.

wagtunes wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 3:53 pm
Hellfog wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 3:44 pm
Please explain further.
For example. A traditional US folk song is "If I Had A Hammer" which was most famously done by Peter Paul & Mary. It's soft guitar and very mellow. Do that in, say, the style of heavy metal or disco or punk. I'm pretty sure that's what he means.
Ah ok, then it must be a cover of a folk song I guess?

I had a similar idea, not with folk songs, but with classical pieces. And not make it as a cover, but rather incorporate the motif of a well known classical piece, and build your track around that. Take for example, the opening of Beethoven 5th, incorporate that in your trance track. Or make Tchaikovsky Waltz of the Flowers in funk style. Or put lyrics on the March of the Valkyries, and sing it with your guitar in a singer-songwriter folk style. Doesn't have to be a note by note transcription, just enough so the motif can be recognized in the song.

GMoneh wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 4:32 pm I had a similar idea, not with folk songs, but with classical pieces. And not make it as a cover, but rather incorporate the motif of a well known classical piece, and build your track around that. Take for example, the opening of Beethoven 5th, incorporate that in your trance track. Or make Tchaikovsky Waltz of the Flowers in funk style. Or put lyrics on the March of the Valkyries, and sing it with your guitar in a singer-songwriter folk style. Doesn't have to be a note by note transcription, just enough so the motif can be recognized in the song.

I like this Idea.

i prefer motif to song, song implies singing, we just had a forced to sing month :hihi:

I'm also liking the idea of doing a regular folk song from your choice of Country but doesn't have to have vocals in it.

pagan folk it is then :hihi:
https://youtu.be/QRg_8NNPTD8
❤❤❤❤

Last edited by vurt on Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I hope I'm not too far away from truth when I believe that members in political right wing aggression groups often listen music like HU and hard rock, and the musicians in these bands often belong to said groups too.

A far cry from the us folk music over half a century ago that gave support to the civil rights movement, equality, justice, environmental political efforts and anti-war protests.

What does copyright say about using folk songs and classical music as part in your own compositions? Must they be at least 100 years old for example?

Return to “Music Cafe”