Stutter edit but for midi notes?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Is there a midi effect/instrument that can do what stutter edit does but with midi? Imagine breaktweaker being able to ouput midi. I want to be able to easily do micro edits, swing, note repetition ramp ups and downs with midi. Anything out there that can do something like this?

What DAW are you in? They all have their own various native options.
Reason Rack might be a good option. It has many, many Player and Utility devices that you can create midi stutters and general midi manipulations.

Studio One, as far as i know, there are no such options. I have to manually draw in and slice up micro edits.

I use VCV Rack to do stutter triggers. Just connect modules to the midi out module. Audible Instruments Random Sampler is good for this.

SeeingInMidi wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 2:20 am Studio One, as far as i know, there are no such options. I have to manually draw in and slice up micro edits.
You might want to play around with Studio One's Repeater plug-in. It has a amximum of 32 steps but you can control the gate time (as small as 0%) and duration of the steps (as small as 1/64T). You can render the MIDI generated by the Repeater plug-in as well. So you may be able to achieve an effect similar to what you are looking for (or discover a cool sounding effect which you weren't looking for).

Here is an informative article and video.

Studio One also has a note repeat feature that is worth checking out. Perhaps there is a way to combine the two features together to create something really crazy.
[Core i7 8700 | 32GB DDR4 | Win11 x64 | Studio One 6 Pro | FL Studio ASIO/WASAPI ]

Maybe some of the sugar bytes sequencers could stuttery sequences? Like Thesys.

so, when you see people say that other piano rolls are geriatric next to FL Studio, that's what they mean.
FL's roll enjoys an incredibly wide superiority over all other options in this crowded field of software that basically nothing else can match currently in other categories. it's sitting alone at the peak with no one else in sight. and it's not new or anything.
that's one option, FL can be loaded as a VST, Thesys is another very good one actually.

Bitwig can do stuff like that with its sampler.

It has quantize grid levels up to 1/128 and even higher if i remember
:borg:

Sonicbytes era used to excell at that , sadly when sonicbytes seized to exist and sugarbytes sold era they didn't do anything with it .
Loomer architect is also great , but it's verry deep ( totally worth it though )
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

Logic Pro and its MidiFX are able to deliver as well.

You can explore Hypercyclic
http://www.mucoder.net/en/hypercyclic/

You can set it up in Live's Session View, as you can assign a MIDI Clip to a MIDI note, and the MIDI Clips can hold whatever crazy MIDI sequence you want, those can be short and be set to loop or not (like a one-shot of MIDI notes), and can also hold Automation and Modulation envelopes (much like the envelopes in Stutter Edit), each Automation and Modulation envelope can loop (or not loop) independently of the MIDI notes (length and start/end points can be different too).

With audio-to-MIDI and Extract Groove you can extract all kinds of crazy "glitchy" MIDI from glitchy-audio.

Look at this, it uses kick samples, but it doesn't need to be kick samples or audio, you can do the same with short MIDI Clips holding loads of 1/32, 1/64, etc. MIDI notes, then trigger them manually or use "Follow Actions", then you would have bursts of MIDI instead of gabba kicks:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ksvvjCtJWeE

You can play MIDI Clips chromatically.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tc0PMfy3ZXE

And that without MIDI FX or M4L. With MIDI FX, MIDI FX Racks and M4L, the options increase exponentially.

For example with M4L, mutateful (mutute4l) is really cool:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bGMBDap1-ko

Then you have tools like Google Magenta, Liquid Rhythm/Music, etc.

This looks like an older thread, but Gatekeeper VST is able to send out MIDI CC.
--_ yup.... _--

Return to “Instruments”