June Contest: Gossip

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Anyway, my entry's yet another “I had some vague idea on day one but only started working on it 6 hours before the deadline” so sorry for the shittiness :shrug:

Shoot, I didn't realize that the cut off for submission was actually the 25th at 22:00! Back in the day, it used to be at 00:00, so I'd spend the 24 scrambling to get finished 😅... That's what I get for being AWOL for so long!

Oh, well... I guess I could have polished my entry a little bit more, but that's ok...

GMoneh wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 11:36 pm Shoot, I didn't realize that the cut off for submission was actually the 25th at 22:00! Back in the day, it used to be at 00:00, so I'd spend the 24 scrambling to get finished 😅... That's what I get for being AWOL for so long!

Oh, well... I guess I could have polished my entry a little bit more, but that's ok...
Me too, I should have read all the details, should have known when Beany submitted, he usually submits near the closing date.

A nice collection to listen to this month, congrats to all.
Left my non entry too late, tried putting the vocals off for too long...
Is materialism devouring your musical output? :ud:

Damm. ran out of time... again! :cry:
It wasn't me! (well, actually, it probably was) - apparently now an 'elderly' so maybe I forgot!

Hellfog wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 8:45 pm Voting ends on June 30 or if all contested have voted earlier I post the result then.
That might rob non-contestants of the possibility to vote…

farlukar wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 8:29 am
Hellfog wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 8:45 pm Voting ends on June 30 or if all contested have voted earlier I post the result then.
That might rob non-contestants of the possibility to vote…
Yeah maybe.

Years ago, back when I was a regular participant, one of the things I liked the most about the contest was to read the impressions of everybody about all the entries. Some would call them "reviews", but they are not really, because it's not about imparting judgement. Music appreciation is so subjective, and what is great for someone could be not someone else's cup of tea. I for one like to know what you liked and disliked about my track, and also about the other tracks submitted that month.
I haven't hung around here much lately, so I don't know if that's still a custom or not, but I decided to go ahead and do it myself anyway, and share the notes I made for myself when deciding on how to vote.

1 mvrasseli-Shadows of my own: There were two ways of attacking this month's theme. Either pick some unknown sound patch and synthesized vocals and do some kind of experimental track, or go with the old fashioned, tried and true, proven through the ages method of a guy and his guitar. Nothing wrong with either path, but my favorite of the month is a clear example of the latter. Great sound of the guitar, good singing, I enjoyed it a lot.

2 Hellfog-Lonely in a forest: Instrumental piece with vocals used as support for the piano. I liked this one as a whole, liked the melodic line, the piano sounds great, and the use of the vocals as a backing of the melody.

3 beanpole-Rising (Gotta Keep On): Another "guy and his guitar" choice. I am more partial to the acoustic approach like mvraseli's (just personal taste), but liked the electric guitar tone in this one too. With just the guitar to accompany the vocals, it was interesting the rhythmic change between verse and chorus of the song in order to keep interest. Well executed.

4 offthewall-Has It Gone: Another singer-songwriter type of track. Liked the guitar playing, and the topic of the lyrics is very timely.

5 donkey tugger-interrupted: Wow, the guitar was by far the most popular instrument this time around!. I enjoyed this one, it has a very "rock concert" vibe. Just in a couple of parts where the noise effects completely drown the sounds of the guitar and vocals. I'm sure that was on purpose, but nonetheless, it ruined it a little bit for me.

6 mountainmaster-Spells: I like how you described your instrument as "cheesy vocals"… The "cheesiness" of the synth vocals set the tone of the whole track. However, I'm a bit partial this month to the tracks with actual human vocals in them.

7 farlukar-Caedmon: Interesting choice. Bass is such cool instrument. Love the low end. Did not understand the words, so I assume it's not English :-).

8 Laguna Rising-Night Demon: Starts all nice and happy with the organ riff, and then… holy sh*t! that was scary! Given the title of the track, I guess that was the purpose… well done :-).

GMoneh wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 4:24 pmInteresting choice. Bass is such cool instrument.
I'm not disagreeing there :hihi:
GMoneh wrote:Did not understand the words, so I assume it's not English :-).
It's Old English, so I guess apart from some linguistic/literature scientists, nobody understands the words… It's from the 7th century and considered the oldest recorded Old English poem.

Thanks for writing comments :tu:

Voting closing in 42 min

em, it's still the 30th?

Oh well, fwiw
  1. donkey tuggerInterrupted
  2. GMonehThe cabaña song
  3. Laguna RisingNight demon
  4. offthewallHas it gone
  5. mvrasseliShadows of my own
  6. HellfogLonely in a forest
  7. beanpoleRising (gotta keep on)
  8. mountainmasterSpells

farlukar wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:06 pm em, it's still the 30th?
Yes, but we usually post before 24:00 and closing votes around 22:00 Swedish time usually

farlukar wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:16 pm Oh well, fwiw
  1. donkey tuggerInterrupted
  2. GMonehThe cabaña song
  3. Laguna RisingNight demon
  4. offthewallHas it gone
  5. mvrasseliShadows of my own
  6. HellfogLonely in a forest
  7. beanpoleRising (gotta keep on)
  8. mountainmasterSpells

Your votes have been counted now.

Thanks!

Return to “Music Cafe”