U-he Hive

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
Plugs4Life
KVRer
6 posts since 13 Jun, 2020

Post Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:40 pm

Just downloaded Diva, Zebra, and Hive.

I don't what the hoopla is about.

I do like Hive though. Does anyone here who bought Hive feel regret?

BONES
GRRRRRRR!
10004 posts since 14 Jun, 2001 from Somewhere else, on principle

Re: U-he Hive

Post Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:25 pm

Yes, I do. I liked 1.2 but the update to 2 pushed it too far and it lost a lot of its usability. I keep threatening to uninstall 2 and go back to 1.2 but I haven't used Hive is such a long time, I never remember to do it.
NOVAkILL 4.0 : Dell G7 (Core i7, 32GB RAM, RTX2060, Win10), UR44C | Cubase | DUNE, Thorn, TRK-01, Union, bx_oberhausen, Vacuum Pro, Arcsyn, Phase Plant, Mono/Fury, Pigments, Aparillo | Uno, Analog Keys, Ultranova.

Teksonik
KVRAF
13615 posts since 16 Sep, 2001 from Las Vegas,USA

Post Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:30 pm

I've never regretted purchasing Hive. I use it in every project and usually multiple instances. Version 2 was a great update that brought many useful features. :tu:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Yorrrrrr
KVRian
1111 posts since 25 Sep, 2011 from Colombia

Post Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:32 pm

Hive 2 is great! It's an excellent workhorse synth, and a modulation heaven to me. Sold my license and I deeply regret it. Anyone willing to sell? bones?
Last edited by Yorrrrrr on Thu Jul 02, 2020 7:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

V0RT3X
KVRAF
8369 posts since 4 Jul, 2012 from Alesia

Post Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:53 pm

BONES wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:25 pm
Yes, I do. I liked 1.2 but the update to 2 pushed it too far and it lost a lot of its usability. I keep threatening to uninstall 2 and go back to 1.2 but I haven't used Hive is such a long time, I never remember to do it.
What is so bad about the update to 2? The same 1.2 functionality is there, so you don't have to use the new features.

Hive 2 is pretty much Idiot-proof so..
:borg:

dune_rave
KVRAF
1736 posts since 23 Jun, 2006 from Hungary

Post Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:19 pm

IMHO nothing wrong with Hive2. OTOH I have sold my license because the features overlapped with some of my other plugins.

vitocorleone123
KVRian
617 posts since 30 Jun, 2014 from Pacific NW

Post Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:23 pm

Hive 2 is my favorite non-emulation synth (and the only one installed). I chose it instead of buying Dune 3, Serum, Spire, or Massive (X wasn't out... but I'd still take Hive 2 first) - especially because of the core tone of the oscillators, which I thought, to my ears, sounded the best. I think Hive 2 is really something special.

If the UI really bothers you, you can buy a different skin for $30 on the Internet, I suppose. I use Hive 2 in almost everything, even if just a little bit here or there.

Do you already have Repro? Repro-1 is my favorite softsynth. Still. Diva is right up there, but takes a bit more work. I don't have Zebra.

claudedefaren
KVRist
377 posts since 10 Mar, 2013

Post Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:42 pm

Hive is an amazing sounding synth, better than Zebra for sure. Insanely fast and efficient workflow. Beautiful GUI.

The only regret I have about Hive is that it uses so much more CPU than their marketing claims it uses. It's more CPU hungry than Serum.

Diva is decent, but Moog's own iOS model D is a better and more accurate emulation. Diva is way too much CPU to be practical, limited and quirky in ways that a hybrid synth of its kind shouldn't be.

BONES
GRRRRRRR!

Post Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:19 pm

Yorrrrrr wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:32 pm
Hive 2 is great! It is a modulation heaven bread and butter synth. Sold mine and I deeply regret it. Anyone willing to sell? bones? BTW, it's only going to get better (Urs has said an update is coming).
Given that the last update made it worse, I am unconvinced that it will get better unless/until they remove a heap of krap from it or abandon the idea of a one page synth. I'll talk to my band mate about it but if he's not using it, then I see no reason to keep it around. I am pretty sure I didn't use it all on our new album and I didn't buy it until after the previous was one was finished.
V0RT3X wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:53 pm
What is so bad about the update to 2? The same 1.2 functionality is there, so you don't have to use the new features.
I just find it much less inviting than it used to be. I have to concentrate a lot more to find things because the GUI is massive, yet things are crowded in. I'm sure if you really liked it, you'd get used to it but I don't see any reason to put that effort in when I never found a lot of use for it in the first place.

I think the problem was that I bought Thorn at about the same time, which I greatly prefer in every way. Maybe if I'd bought Thorn six months later I'd like Hive more but I never spent enough time with it before I found something better. These days I never even think to load it up.
vitocorleone123 wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:23 pm
If the UI really bothers you, you can buy a different skin for $30 on the Internet, I suppose.
Or I can use something else I already have, that I prefer anyway.
claudedefaren wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:42 pm
Hive is an amazing sounding synth, better than Zebra for sure. Insanely fast and efficient workflow. Beautiful GUI.
Everyone says that but I think the v2 GUI is boring. I much prefer the original look - it was far more inviting than what's there now.

I just noticed that Hive isn't even in my signature any more. I must have ditched it to make room for Union, which is the synth I use in pretty much every song lately.
Last edited by BONES on Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NOVAkILL 4.0 : Dell G7 (Core i7, 32GB RAM, RTX2060, Win10), UR44C | Cubase | DUNE, Thorn, TRK-01, Union, bx_oberhausen, Vacuum Pro, Arcsyn, Phase Plant, Mono/Fury, Pigments, Aparillo | Uno, Analog Keys, Ultranova.

Hellfog
KVRian
748 posts since 1 Jan, 2009

Post Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:20 pm

I'm a big fan of U-he, I have all the synths except for Ace. And Hive is no exception.

BONES
GRRRRRRR!

Post Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:25 pm

That tells us that you're an irrational brand junkie, it doesn't say anything useful about Hive.

e@rs
KVRAF
4505 posts since 15 Dec, 2011 from Bucharest, Romania

Post Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:47 pm

I also preferred the first version pre V1.2 with less features and no wavetables. After that, it became a features galore CPU hog. But my main turn-off is V2's GUI (I HATE IT).

audiot
KVRist
348 posts since 8 Jan, 2005 from Germany

Post Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:46 am

To me it's the best sounding wavetable synth and i demoed all major wavetable synths :D The factory presets are a mixed bag.

I use the eclipse skin from plugmon:

https://plugmon.jp/product/eclipse

... still not optimal, but a lot better than the original skin. I would kill for a synth that has the usability of Serum and the sound of Hive :hyper:

Lately I often use Serum as a scratrchpad and then reconstruct the sound in Hive. The wavetable import is really diplomatic: Serum, Pigments, Codex, Icarus, ANA, Factory. I dont own all of them ... i just could not overcome to delete all these fine wavetables from the demo versions ... but i promise that I will :oops: ... seriously :oops:
Last edited by audiot on Wed Jul 01, 2020 2:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Calenberger
KVRAF
1582 posts since 8 Sep, 2019 from Calenberg

Post Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:49 am

Hellfog wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:20 pm
I'm a big fan of U-he, I have all the synths except for Ace. And Hive is no exception.
Oh, you're missing one of their best beasts!
ACE is an fat, lively and analogue sounding monster :tu:
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, kanntu meine musi hoeren da:
https://sonoryth.bandcamp.com/
Signature Sound

clipnotic
KVRist
350 posts since 19 Sep, 2007 from Germany

Post Wed Jul 01, 2020 1:00 am

I listened through the factory presets, but found no sound I like. I also had the same problem with Zebra and sold it. Perhaps I'm doing something wrong with u-he synths? :D
VST developers need more motivation and best motivation is hardcore criticism! :D
My english is terrible, feel free to correct me! :wink:

Return to “Instruments”