U-he Hive

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Just downloaded Diva, Zebra, and Hive.

I don't what the hoopla is about.

I do like Hive though. Does anyone here who bought Hive feel regret?

Yes, I do. I liked 1.2 but the update to 2 pushed it too far and it lost a lot of its usability. I keep threatening to uninstall 2 and go back to 1.2 but I haven't used Hive is such a long time, I never remember to do it.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

I've never regretted purchasing Hive. I use it in every project and usually multiple instances. Version 2 was a great update that brought many useful features. :tu:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Hive 2 is great! It's an excellent workhorse synth, and a modulation heaven to me. Sold my license and I deeply regret it. Anyone willing to sell? bones?
Last edited by Yorrrrrr on Thu Jul 02, 2020 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BONES wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 3:25 am Yes, I do. I liked 1.2 but the update to 2 pushed it too far and it lost a lot of its usability. I keep threatening to uninstall 2 and go back to 1.2 but I haven't used Hive is such a long time, I never remember to do it.
What is so bad about the update to 2? The same 1.2 functionality is there, so you don't have to use the new features.

Hive 2 is pretty much Idiot-proof so..
:borg:

IMHO nothing wrong with Hive2. OTOH I have sold my license because the features overlapped with some of my other plugins.

Hive 2 is my favorite non-emulation synth (and the only one installed). I chose it instead of buying Dune 3, Serum, Spire, or Massive (X wasn't out... but I'd still take Hive 2 first) - especially because of the core tone of the oscillators, which I thought, to my ears, sounded the best. I think Hive 2 is really something special.

If the UI really bothers you, you can buy a different skin for $30 on the Internet, I suppose. I use Hive 2 in almost everything, even if just a little bit here or there.

Do you already have Repro? Repro-1 is my favorite softsynth. Still. Diva is right up there, but takes a bit more work. I don't have Zebra.

Last edited by claudedefaren on Thu Apr 15, 2021 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Yorrrrrr wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 3:32 amHive 2 is great! It is a modulation heaven bread and butter synth. Sold mine and I deeply regret it. Anyone willing to sell? bones? BTW, it's only going to get better (Urs has said an update is coming).
Given that the last update made it worse, I am unconvinced that it will get better unless/until they remove a heap of krap from it or abandon the idea of a one page synth. I'll talk to my band mate about it but if he's not using it, then I see no reason to keep it around. I am pretty sure I didn't use it all on our new album and I didn't buy it until after the previous was one was finished.
V0RT3X wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 3:53 amWhat is so bad about the update to 2? The same 1.2 functionality is there, so you don't have to use the new features.
I just find it much less inviting than it used to be. I have to concentrate a lot more to find things because the GUI is massive, yet things are crowded in. I'm sure if you really liked it, you'd get used to it but I don't see any reason to put that effort in when I never found a lot of use for it in the first place.

I think the problem was that I bought Thorn at about the same time, which I greatly prefer in every way. Maybe if I'd bought Thorn six months later I'd like Hive more but I never spent enough time with it before I found something better. These days I never even think to load it up.
vitocorleone123 wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 4:23 amIf the UI really bothers you, you can buy a different skin for $30 on the Internet, I suppose.
Or I can use something else I already have, that I prefer anyway.
claudedefaren wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 4:42 amHive is an amazing sounding synth, better than Zebra for sure. Insanely fast and efficient workflow. Beautiful GUI.
Everyone says that but I think the v2 GUI is boring. I much prefer the original look - it was far more inviting than what's there now.

I just noticed that Hive isn't even in my signature any more. I must have ditched it to make room for Union, which is the synth I use in pretty much every song lately.
Last edited by BONES on Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

I'm a big fan of U-he, I have all the synths except for Ace. And Hive is no exception.

That tells us that you're an irrational brand junkie, it doesn't say anything useful about Hive.

I also preferred the first version pre V1.2 with less features and no wavetables. After that, it became a features galore CPU hog. But my main turn-off is V2's GUI (I HATE IT).

To me it's the best sounding wavetable synth and i demoed all major wavetable synths :D The factory presets are a mixed bag.

I use the eclipse skin from plugmon:

https://plugmon.jp/product/eclipse

... still not optimal, but a lot better than the original skin. I would kill for a synth that has the usability of Serum and the sound of Hive :hyper:

Lately I often use Serum as a scratrchpad and then reconstruct the sound in Hive. The wavetable import is really diplomatic: Serum, Pigments, Codex, Icarus, ANA, Factory. I dont own all of them ... i just could not overcome to delete all these fine wavetables from the demo versions ... but i promise that I will :oops: ... seriously :oops:
Last edited by audiot on Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Hellfog wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:20 am I'm a big fan of U-he, I have all the synths except for Ace. And Hive is no exception.
Oh, you're missing one of their best beasts!
ACE is an fat, lively and analogue sounding monster :tu:

I listened through the factory presets, but found no sound I like. I also had the same problem with Zebra and sold it. Perhaps I'm doing something wrong with u-he synths? :D

Return to “Instruments”