U-he Hive

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Teksonik wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:44 pm
THE INTRANCER wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:38 pm little things like LFO waveforms overlapping the sequencer numbers,
Huh ? Where ? :?
There.... :wink:
KVR S1-Thread | The Intrancersonic-Design Source > Program Resource | Studio One Resource | Music Gallery | 2D / 3D Sci-fi Art | GUI Projects | Animations | Photography | Film Docs | 80's Cartoons | Games | Music Hardware |

That ? You let that bother you ? Ok whatever....... :shrug:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

BONES wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:20 pm
Urs wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:01 amJust imagine we had followed up on all the feature requests we had gotten: Multiple layers (extensive tabbing), Zebra-style MSEGs, polyphonic sequencer, sample import/management, wavetable editors and what not. Now *that* would have compromised usability big time. But instead we kept it lean, tidy and super fast to work with.
Well, you tried but it didn't work for me.
Poor guy Urs, he tried so hard, but Bones is not that easy to please :D

I remember when Hive was released I wasn't impressed much because it looked and sounded like Sylenth but it wasn't Sylenth. I put it into "nice but redundant" category. But when they added wavetables this changed it for me, I own quite a few wavetable synths, software and hardware but Hive 2 does have its own character, it's not as hi-fi sounding as Serum or Dune3, but it has it's own recognizable sound which I think it very nice. This may come down to the included wavetable content or the presets but anyway, if it sounds good it's good. I don't own Hive yet but I'm almost sure I'll buy it sooner or later.

I don't understand the GUI moanings, maybe not exacty an eye-candy but clear and functional.
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

Teksonik wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:15 pm That ? You let that bother you ? Ok whatever....... :shrug:
It was one of the first things I didn't like when I tried the V2 update... It's the little details like this which matter in GUI design (at least to me) ... It wasn't a big deal to fix though, just another aspect to add to the list of changes I did.
KVR S1-Thread | The Intrancersonic-Design Source > Program Resource | Studio One Resource | Music Gallery | 2D / 3D Sci-fi Art | GUI Projects | Animations | Photography | Film Docs | 80's Cartoons | Games | Music Hardware |

clipnotic wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:04 pm okay, I will listen to the presets again, because the synth has really many good features! The problem could be, that I listen to new sounds almost daily, because I subscribed many newsletters ... :D
... lets say, it has all the the necessary features :)

I love Hive for it's great sound and it's compact design (at least with the eclipse skin). Sometimes it's better to restrict yourself :uhuhuh: I saw ultra complex patches in Zebra and other modular synths where half of the modules didnt have a significant impact on the overall sound :shrug: ... or patches that sounded better when you deactivated some modules.

Sometimes we tend to use features just because they are available. I, for example, never used the function generators in Hive :hihi: ... i always wanted to watch a tutorial about them ... that was last year, I believe :D

Maykie wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:29 pm
Urs wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:01 am
BONES wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 3:25 amit lost a lot of its usability
I disagree. Setting up modulations is faster than before and it's still all and all a one page design. We even decluttered the sequencer and FX pages in the hexagon, and most optional (!) new features are tucked away in it. The only thing really that's newly added is 6 knobs for two AR-envelopes and the most easy to use, fastest results complex envelope generator I know.

Just imagine we had followed up on all the feature requests we had gotten: Multiple layers (extensive tabbing), Zebra-style MSEGs, polyphonic sequencer, sample import/management, wavetable editors and what not. Now *that* would have compromised usability big time. But instead we kept it lean, tidy and super fast to work with.
As many people here already said - Hive2 interface feels busy and complicated. Everyone has subjective opinion and that is fine.
I'm one of those people who are super minimalistic about working environment.

For me even things like bigger filter knobs in Hive 1 is day and night difference. It might sound weird for many but I was upset about adding wavetables to Hive in 1.2. I wish I could just use Hive 1.1 from release archive but there is this annoying bug (random clicky sounds in left channel) that was fixed in 1.2.1.

Hive 1 interface is playful, inviting, addicting.

Every time I try to make something with Hive2 I end up playing with function generator for like 30 mins and then give up.

Btw anyone remembers these concepts? I was always hoping that Hive2 would not be a synth with mirrored interface.
In particular, I feel like the interfaces in u-he synths stink.

I opened Serum, and it makes sense in a split second. Europa in Reason, I got it right away. Massive X, it took a minute but it’s all easy to figure out.

Hive 2, I have no idea what’s going on, let alone in Zebra.

I think maybe Reaktor is the one software giving me more of a pause in figuring out.

Plugs4Life wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:59 pm In particular, I feel like the interfaces in u-he synths stink.

I opened Serum, and it makes sense in a split second. Europa in Reason, I got it right away. Massive X, it took a minute but it’s all easy to figure out.

I think maybe Reaktor is the one software giving me more of a pause in figuring out.
That's funny...i have no issues with the UI's from U-He whatsoever, including Zebra(2). To my mind Hive(2) makes the same kind of sense compared to Serum. I use Hive more often compared to Serum even, because of the lay-out and how it sounds (i love the filter-switches)...to each their own i guess :)

there is a modular aspect to all of the uhe releases i respect. it gives you breathing room, and lets you have a voice. if you are not interested in synthesis why do you play with synthesizers? my biggest gripe with all software is it's all spelled out for you. you guys don't have an interest or a reason, you're just like playing video games. the one that looks the best when they take their shirt off gets the most attention.

Plugs4Life wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:59 pm
As many people here already said - Hive2 interface feels busy and complicated. Everyone has subjective opinion and that is fine.
I'm one of those people who are super minimalistic about working environment.
I love minimalism and really when it comes down to it you can see that U-he has a pretty good design philosophy.

Every time I try to make something with Hive2 I end up playing with function generator for like 30 mins and then give up.
This means you don't fully understand how to use it yet, I suggest you go read the manual on what it can do for you.

In particular, I feel like the interfaces in u-he synths stink.
There are work arounds for this, you can script your own, or even buy a modded GUI. If that still doesnt work then move on.

You can figure Massive X out in a minute but have a problem with Hive2 ... hmm

Well.. it should considering they are miles apart in what they even are.
Last edited by V0RT3X on Thu Jul 02, 2020 12:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
:borg:

I think starting with the function generators and then getting into more complex modulations is where the scope really becomes useful.

recursive one wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:38 pmPoor guy Urs, he tried so hard, but Bones is not that easy to please :D
Quite the opposite, I am very easy to please. Don't bother adding new features and I'm happy as Larry.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

There's always this.

https://plugmon.jp/product/eclipse/

eclipse-hive2-main.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Stormchild

Plugs4Life wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 2:40 am .... Does anyone here who bought Hive feel regret?
Not even one bit!

Probably the best software synth ever made.

Dasheesh wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:30 pm there is a modular aspect to all of the uhe releases i respect. it gives you breathing room, and lets you have a voice. if you are not interested in synthesis why do you play with synthesizers? my biggest gripe with all software is it's all spelled out for you. you guys don't have an interest or a reason, you're just like playing video games. the one that looks the best when they take their shirt off gets the most attention.
+100.

I see that mindset all over the forum, people are not feeling inspired by what they have, they are always looking for something better than already exist. Criticism replaces creativity.

I had the same mindset some time ago until I found that there is no synthesizer that can make music without human mind just because it have more cool features. It was the least productive time for me.

Mostly, people are discussing new toys and how it looks, this is the way people procrastinate to delay meeting the difficulties of creating. Almost any modern synthesizer have at least "GOOD" GUI, and it can do fuc**ng a lot if you know how it works, more handy modulation can't boost you as you might expect, and you really don't need "unique features" if you don't realize how much you can do with two oscillators, two LFO, and one filter. There is no ideal synthesizer as well as there is no ideal guitar, piano, or duduk. And it will never appear. But you, as a person, will become old.

I know a couple of very good and productive electronic musicians and they are never discussing GUIs of synthesizers because they are like kids, they are enjoying. Wish you the same.

Dombaeb wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 6:02 am I know a couple of very good and productive electronic musicians and they are never discussing GUIs of synthesizers because they are like kids, they are enjoying. Wish you the same.
Word.
Stormchild

Return to “Instruments”