Plucks for chk071

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

i dont own any of the synapse synths, but do own and used since 2002/3 orion. and i dont even think the inbuilt synths have a similar character.

AnX wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:11 pm
vurt wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:09 pm
AnX wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:03 pm yeah, but i wasnt that bored (I don't think I ever would be)
after all that fishing youre trained against boredom.
its very relaxing, not boring

not like collecting dolls :P
theyre not dolls :tantrum:
theyre collectable action figurines and bobbleheads and lego :tantrum:

AnX wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:07 pm
chk071 wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 7:57 pm
If I had to guess then I would say it's all Synapse synths, some from Orion, and others which they released standalone, but, I don't know really. Just a guess, because I see certain indications. ;)
what would those indications be, out of interest? not purely because I test for them?
You posted this very quickly, and said you put it all together in Orion. :) But, that doesn't have to mean anything, of course.
AnX wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:07 pm also, you originally said
chk071 wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 7:46 pm The only sound I feel like slightly could come from a Synapse synth is the first one. It's also the best example, because it's the kind of plucky sound I was after.
Yeah, rather because I feel like I could hear a bit of that character there. But, maybe the guess was wrong also, IDK.

chk071 wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:13 pm
AnX wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:07 pm
chk071 wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 7:57 pm
If I had to guess then I would say it's all Synapse synths, some from Orion, and others which they released standalone, but, I don't know really. Just a guess, because I see certain indications. ;)
what would those indications be, out of interest? not purely because I test for them?
You posted this very quickly, and said you put it all together in Orion. :) But, that doesn't have to mean anything, of course.
its my only host, been using it 20 years, so didn't take long to copy simple pattern into several synths... took me longer to find synth that actually had plucked sounds....

to try and put you off, I loaded the 32bit version, as I still have lots of crap installed for that (but never use it) but it wasn't easy finding the sounds in obscure synths...

vurt wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:11 pm i dont own any of the synapse synths, but do own and used since 2002/3 orion. and i dont even think the inbuilt synths have a similar character.
Would you say that Moog or Oberheim synths have a certain character? Roland's synths?

I'm asking, because I think they do share a certain character, even when they have different filter chips. But, I always read a bit of the handwriting of the company's franchise in them. Maybe I'm wrong. But then, there's a lot of people who seem to like Moog. I don't think that would be the case if they all sounded like night and day. I even think that companies do want a certain footprint, just like Porsche's all sound similar to each other.

I can't comment on the Orion included stuff though, I never used or demo'd Orion, and I never played with those synths. They probably rather sound like Dune 1. Dune 2 kind of was a quantum leap from that, even though it also shares a couple of things, like similarities in the envelopes, or the unison sound. IMO, YMMV, etc. :)
Last edited by chk071 on Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

vurt wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:13 pm bobbleheads
:lol: :lol: :lol:

chk071 wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:18 pm
vurt wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:11 pm i dont own any of the synapse synths, but do own and used since 2002/3 orion. and i dont even think the inbuilt synths have a similar character.
Would you say that Moog or Oberheim synths have a certain character? Roland's synths?

cant comment regards roland, never used any.
moog, there are a few that sound similar, but they seem to me more like updated versions, so they use older designs, add new controls and maybe tweak bits of the earlier design...
so there will be a sound to those.
but then they have others that are different, with no comparison to the others, eg the mini doesnt sound like the subharmonicon.
you can get a few close sounds, and for some reason thats what youtubers show mostly, but they can be wildly different, but that doesnt make a good comparison video.

oberheim, ive only fiddled a bit with other peoples, the matrix 12 and an ob8.
they sounded fairly different to me.
again, you can get close with some sounds, but others not so much.

but id say you could make some sounds on 9ne oberheim, one roland and one moog, and there will be some you can get close enough, the majority of people (as in actual synth peoples) wouldnt know which was which.

yes, there are some people who can recognise these things, there are guitarists who can name a guitar, tell you which pick up and what guage strings. plus colour of plectrum.
these people are like the xmen. this is there mutant power. it will not save the world :(

my phone had other ideas about this...
20200702_214024.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

AnX wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:11 pm
vurt wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:09 pm
AnX wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:03 pm yeah, but i wasnt that bored (I don't think I ever would be)
after all that fishing youre trained against boredom.
its very relaxing, not boring

not like collecting dolls :P
You should rethink Your opinion on dolls. Pronto :D

nice :)

AnX wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:20 pm
vurt wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:13 pm bobbleheads
:lol: :lol: :lol:
:x
youre a bobblehead!

vurt wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:41 pm yes, there are some people who can recognise these things, there are guitarists who can name a guitar, tell you which pick up and what guage strings. plus colour of plectrum.
these people are like the xmen. this is there mutant power. it will not save the world :(
As I said, I probably won't be able to spot a synth in a A/B test, at least when it's not a typical sound which defines the character of the synth. I think that's the main misunderstanding: You tell someone that you smell a flower, and he thinks that you can distinguish it from a million of other flowers, which might even smell similar. ;) Black/white.

That doesn't mean that the flower doesn't have a characteristic smell though.

I'm not putting up a file of stinks...

I'm grateful. :lol:

They're all from OnePluckOnly
More BPM please

chk071 wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:18 pmWould you say that Moog or Oberheim synths have a certain character? Roland's synths?
Up to a point. Absolutely nobody would suggest the D-50 has a similar character to an SH 101 or that an SH 101 sounds anything like a TB 303. But you can definitely hear the similarties between a lot of Roland's synths, say a 101 and a Juno 6, because many of them share all kinds of bits and pieces. Similarly, Vurt may not be able to hear it but the filters in most of Orion's native generators have a very similar character.

The similarity between SEM and the OB's comes, I think, from the oscillators so even though the filters are completely different, there is a huge area of overlap in the way they sound.
... just like Porsche's all sound similar to each other.
That's a great analogy because Porsches all have similar engines that are very different to everyone else's - boxer engines derived long ago from the VW Beetle. They don't start from scratch with every new model, they build on what they have already created, making tweaks where necessary. But eventually you have to reinvent yourself to move with the times, which is why Porsche's new turbo fours sound very different to the old engines we are used to hearing. That's also why a D-50 doesn't sound like a Jupiter 8 and why an M1 doesn't sound like a DW8000.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

Return to “Instruments”