VST Synths you purchased that were very disappointing

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

None because I always try the demo first.

The earliest Arturia synths. They are totally meh. Hybrid 3. Sounds like harsh glass to me.

YMMV.
I will take the Lord's name in vain, whenever I want. Hail Satan! And his little goblins too. :lol:

Robmobius wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 11:08 pm The earliest Arturia synths. They are totally meh. Hybrid 3. Sounds like harsh glass to me.

YMMV.
Actually, it can sound very warm and lush in my view.

Spryx wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 7:13 pm WA Instachord - I can't even begin to figure out how to use the thing.
If it helps, Instachord is not a synth. It sends MIDI.

Not long after I bought AAS Tassman 4, AAS said they are not supporting it any more (years ago); the patch management system in it was ancient, but I knew that before I bought it; I tried it first. It had some fairly unique sounds. As far as I can tell, it won't work with my Mac OS Catalina and Cubase AI10. There are plenty of sample-based synth plug-ins that you can't demo first.
You can hear my original music at this link: https://www.soundclick.com/artist/defau ... dID=224436

90% of the synths that came with Computer Music Magazine Subscription,
Zebra CM being the most disappointing one.
Macbook M1 Max 32GB Ram Cubase 12

Geist 2. That GUI is just too easy to get lost in. Way too much stuff crammed in there and a ton of buggy features once you dig in. G1 was way better in my book.

At least I've got an MPC Live now so I don't really need either.

Markus Krause wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 7:40 am Access Virus ti:
I bought this one to do measurements for the hypersaws. Imho one of the most overhyped synths out there.
Indeed - the Virus TI was hyped as the next best thing after toasted bread. But apart from that I really feel it's a solid synthesizer that can create some fantastic tones. Can it be replaced by software these days? Yeah... I think it probably can. But sometimes it's nice to have a hardware synth you can just turn on and play.

/C
ANALOG DEEP HOUSE 2 for U-HE DIVA
HARDWARE SAMPLER FANATIC - Akai S1100/S950/Z8 - Casio FZ20m - Emu Emax I - Ensoniq ASR10/EPS

DrGonzo wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 6:51 am
I bought this one to do measurements for the hypersaws. Imho one of the most overhyped synths out there.
Indeed - the Virus TI was hyped as the next best thing after toasted bread. But apart from that I really feel it's a solid synthesizer that can create some fantastic tones. Can it be replaced by software these days? Yeah... I think it probably can. But sometimes it's nice to have a hardware synth you can just turn on and play.

/C
Is virus ti plugin a virtual software plugin synth ? Or a software control for hardware synth ?
Macbook M1 Max 32GB Ram Cubase 12

Robmobius wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 11:08 pm The earliest Arturia synths. They are totally meh.
I agree, but I’ve actually made some pretty cool patches with those. The trick is to forget they’re supposed to be emulations and use the modern features they’ve tucked into the extra panel at the top. The emulations themselves are pretty lifeless and take a lot of work to coax anything out of them that sounds like the synth they’re supposed to sound like, but you can make totally different sounds and impart quite a bit of character with the mod matrix and fancy envelopes. That said, I still don’t really recommend them. I look at it as more of a challenge to see what I can do with what you might call a “fixer upper”.

But the V Collection is still a great value. Most of the newer emulations are actually quite good, and there are some overlooked gems in there, like the Synclavier (developed in partnership with the original creator), Matrix-12 (not the most intuitive UI, but if you can figure it out it sounds pretty good!), and DX7 (I thought “seriously? Another DX7 plugin?”, but they actually did a fantastic job and it’s now my favorite one).
Last edited by Arashi on Fri Jul 03, 2020 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stormchild

Double post.
Last edited by Arashi on Fri Jul 03, 2020 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stormchild

Did it again. I’m tired and keep replying to myself when I meant to edit.
Stormchild

Arashi wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 1:53 pm
Robmobius wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 11:08 pm The earliest Arturia synths. They are totally meh.
I agree, but I’ve actually made some pretty cool patches with those. The trick is to forget they’re supposed to be emulations and use the modern features they’ve tucked into the extra panel at the top. The emulations themselves are pretty lifeless and take a lot of work to coax anything out of them that sounds like the synth they’re supposed to sound like, but you can make totally different sounds and impart quite a bit of character with the mod matrix and fancy envelopes. That said, I still don’t really recommend them. I look at it as more of a challenge to see what I can do with what you might call a “fixer upper”.

But the V Collection is still a great value. Most of the newer emulations are actually quite good, and there are some overlooked gems in there, like the Synclavier (developed in partnership with the original creator), Matrix-12 (not the most intuitive UI, but if you can figure it out it sounds pretty good!), and DX7 (I thought “seriously? Another DX7 plugin?”, but they actually did a fantastic job and it’s now my favorite one).
I agree with all of that. They all have a kind of “boxy” tone to them, even the latest OB-X V. If you accept that, it can actually be a good thing. They take effects really nicely and are easy to fit in a mix.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

TS-12 wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 1:17 pm
DrGonzo wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 6:51 am

/C
Is virus ti plugin a virtual software plugin synth ? Or a software control for hardware synth ?
Nope.

https://www.virus.info/virusti/overview

Arashi wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 1:53 pm But the V Collection is still a great value. Most of the newer emulations are actually quite good, and there are some overlooked gems in there, like the Synclavier (developed in partnership with the original creator), Matrix-12 (not the most intuitive UI, but if you can figure it out it sounds pretty good!), and DX7 (I thought “seriously? Another DX7 plugin?”, but they actually did a fantastic job and it’s now my favorite one).
Absolutely... I think it's probably the best syth bundle out there for the money.

I think, as you said, the newer snyths are very good. I just think their earlier synths have never been overhauled so still sound lackluster compared to some of the newer stuff. Which is a shame.

But I'd recommend the bundle to anyone (especially when it's on sale!). The only reason I sold my bundle was because I had previously purchased the synths I'd wanted. And as I didn't use the others (or older ones) I sold it.

Love Arturia as a company and their HW is rock solid too. :tu:
I will take the Lord's name in vain, whenever I want. Hail Satan! And his little goblins too. :lol:

Return to “Instruments”