What's your setup with your Audio into your DAW ?

A forum for discussion of all things guitar!
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Electric I sometimes mic my Vox AC30 or Peavy Classic 50 (I’m mainly about clean sounds).

More frequently I plug my guitar straight into my UAD Apollo 8 and either use one of UAD’s amp sims in the Unison slot OR I bypass that whole business and use a third party amp sim (currently NeuralDSP, Nembrini Audio and SKnote are my favourite makers).

Vocals-wise, I go straight into the Apollo preamps and use one of their Unison preamp plugins to spice up the flavour.

For classical guitar, I record the guitar straight into either an AT4050 or a TLM102. I usually add some reverb (LiquidSonics Seventh Heaven Pro) to add life into the recording and position it.

Hermetech Mastering wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 11:28 pm
hotmitts wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 6:19 pm
Hermetech Mastering wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 1:04 pm ...
Generally can't stand the DI guitar sound or the idea of modellers etc., although the Strymon Iridium does pique my interest.
What interests you particularly about the Strymon Iridium ?
Guitarists and engineers whose audio skills, guitar chops, and ears I trust implicitly, have told me it's the most realistic thing out there at the moment, better than any Kemper profile etc., so I'd like to give it a try. Never say never. :)
OK, after watching this video I have been turned off the Iridium:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKmN-Dykgjk

I was all into buying it until I heard the comparisons with the real tube amps. Thanks, they saved me £400...

"Would you use it over your valve amps?"
"No."

It sounds great, and is convenient, for sure, but "A perfectly good compromise" just sums it up for me. Some of us aren't happy with compromising, so I'll be sticking with my AB763 DR clone, miced up with a pair of KM84s into a TG2 pre.

hotmitts wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 10:47 am do you add something special in the chain
I use a passive Lehle P-Split II high impedance splitter so I can record both dry and effect-ed guitar.
It does some technical stuff that helps.
I also activated its hum reduction feature, when a newly added pedal caused trouble.

My set-up: 2 routings, that share my FSU pedalboard and IR pedal, then split up again:
gtr -> P-Split -> pedalboards -> ABY pedal -> FSU pedalboard -> loop switch pedal [-> IR pedal] -> ABY pedal -> interface (input x)
synth -> pedalboard -> looper -> loop switch pedal [-> ABY pedal -> FSU pedalboard -> loop switch pedal [-> IR pedal] -> ABY pedal] -> interface (input y)

The FSU pedalboard also has a preamp pedal, a noisy used AMT F1 analogue Fender amp sim, at the end. Haven't used that one much lately, I actually like the sound of DI (which answers another of OP's questions).

guit/pedals/audio card.

-> pedals -> preamp/DI -> audio interface
I lost my heart in Taumatawhakatangihangakoauauotamateaturipukakapikimaungahoronukupokaiwhenuakitanatahu

Return to “Guitars”