How Do I Set My Compressor?

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
RELATED
PRODUCTS

To the OP - do you know why you are using a compressor? What are you trying to achieve?
I wonder what happens if I press this button...

As beginner i was trying to find best settings and didn't realize that the mix is complex picture and each individual instrument need specific settings to fit to other instruments,like to find space and put another dress in already full sack without to tear it up.Cheers :)

Mad Dog, that is a sublime explanation! I tried to quote but KVR was flagging it as Spam, weirdly.

/* whitenoise */
Last edited by noiseresearch on Mon Nov 30, 2020 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
/* whitenoise */ /* abandon */ /* reincarnated */

resistent wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 5:27 pm Don't know if someone already pointed you to this
https://m.youtube.co/watch?v=jiKVvr_5mnI

I think this is not only one of the shortest explanation how to use a compressor it's also one of the best if not the best. It's all about ears and feeling. Thank me later :)
That's basically Stav's A.R.R.T. of Compression from his "Mixing With Your Mind" book, as detailed in my article above. In a nutshell:

A) Set Attack shortest, Release shortest, Ratio highest, and Threshold for max GR, so you are getting max smash and can easily hear the shaping.

B) Then adjust in this order: Attack for transient amount/punch, Release for groove, and backoff the Ratio and Threshold for the required amount of grabiness and GR.

Hermetech Mastering wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 1:15 pm
resistent wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 5:27 pm Don't know if someone already pointed you to this
https://m.youtube.co/watch?v=jiKVvr_5mnI

I think this is not only one of the shortest explanation how to use a compressor it's also one of the best if not the best. It's all about ears and feeling. Thank me later :)
That's basically Stav's A.R.R.T. of Compression from his "Mixing With Your Mind" book, as detailed in my article above. In a nutshell:

A) Set Attack shortest, Release shortest, Ratio highest, and Threshold for max GR, so you are getting max smash and can easily hear the shaping.

B) Then adjust in this order: Attack for transient amount/punch, Release for groove, and backoff the Ratio and Threshold for the required amount of grabiness and GR.
At least three of us have detailed this so far. Though I didn't realise anyone was credited with the technique - it occurred to me in isolation as a matter of logic.

Pushing any system to its limits helps you to learn a lot about it but in this way the process moves from subtle to highly audible. So it's great for when you're starting to learn a compressor and especially for highlighting how your compressor is treating transients.

/* whitenoise */
Last edited by noiseresearch on Mon Nov 30, 2020 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
/* whitenoise */ /* abandon */ /* reincarnated */

Set the controls to the heart of the sun.
Soft Knees - Live 12, Diva, Omnisphere, Slate Digital VSX, TDR, Kush Audio, U-He, PA, Valhalla, Fuse, Pulsar, NI, OekSound etc. on Win11Pro R7950X & RME AiO Pro
https://www.youtube.com/@softknees/videos Music & Demoscene

Distorted Horizon wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 6:12 am
lobanov wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 12:33 am The single right way to set a compressor is by your year.
Exactly. If you're born 60's, 70's, 80's.. You use slower attack to make your drums pop. The closer you get to the end of the 20th century, you'll do some parallel compression. If you're a millennial, you'll ruin your dynamics with very short attack and squash the (s)hit out of your drums.
If you're a zoomer, you'd probably put an OTT on it mindlessly.

Return to “Production Techniques”