MIDI Generator - CC Values?

Official support for: tx16wx.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi, I recently tried to resample external VST sound into TX. I noticed that apparently TX doesn't generate appropriate CC values.
Scenario - "Other Plugin" loaded with a Library that I would like to take into TX. CC1 would be Dynamic XFade. Setting in TX are adjusted, as example the Generator would be lo - 0, hi 127, CC1, Division 2. The Sample process records 3 Samples, all with CC1 on 0 (or rather, CC1 is not sent). The Test button sets CC1 to 0 in the "other plugin". Is this a bug, or did I forget any setting to make it work?

I'm using Reaper and the rest is functioning as expected.

There is no "Dynamic XFade" Midi CC. The Midi CC axis will send a CC value lo -> hi at range/steps intervals, i.e. if you set lo = 0, hi = 127 and step to 3, CC = Mod Wheel (CC1), you will get

Midi CC message CC=1, Val = 0
Midi Note on
Midi Note off

Midi CC message CC=1, Val = 64
Midi Note on
Midi Note off

Midi CC message CC=1, Val = 127
Midi Note on
Midi Note off

and so forth.

I just verified it works as expected. My guess is that you've mapped the wrong controller vs. what your sampled VSTi is listening to?
TX16Wx Software Sampler:
http://www.tx16wx.com/

I checked again but it doesn't look like it (Version 3.4.0j 5655.798)

These are the Settings:
settings.png
And the Resulting MIDI (Reaper -> Record Output, MIDI)
reaper-midi.png
There is no CC information sent, only On and Off velocity. Tested without routing and hooking up the resampling stuff, just directly record the MIDI output from TX.

Edit: I put a MIDI Logger into the Equation to get better data, and this is the result. No Tracks armed. Left is a Receiving Track, Right is the Track with TX and MIDI Logger next in chain:
midi logger.png
Interesting effect is if I move the Modwheel manually beforehand (deactivate TX, up and down to 0 again, activate TX, sample):
midi-logger-modwheel.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Skärmklipp.PNG
This is what I get with the same settings.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
TX16Wx Software Sampler:

Thank you. Quite odd...I'm gonna try to reinstall, maybe something went wrong somewhere.

Edit: It seems that I have found the culprit in my case - I was using the VST3i Version. The VSTi Version behaves as expected, correct CC Values being sent. The VST3i Version on the other hand is not sending the CC values out. Question from my side would be if there is a Reaper Setting I missed on that one, or if it actually is a bug in this case. So, it's not breaking since I can use the other version, but it might be worth looking into if it would be an actual bug.
Thank you for your help - appreciate the quick responses :-)

Since VST3 does not recognize Midi (there is no such thing as Midi in VST3 - only plug-in standard specific "abstract" events such as "kNoteOnEvent" etc), a VST3 plug-in literally cannot generate CC out. Or, to be more correct - one could not when the VST3 interface code was written. But I see now that v3.8 of the SDK actually added a "LegacyMIDICCOutEvent" type - way to go caving to real world pressure Steinberg. :-)

I'll implement CC support for VST3 in next release, but I don't consider it critical at this point.
TX16Wx Software Sampler:

Return to “CWITEC”