VCV Rack hits 2000 Modules!

Modular Synth design and releases (Reaktor, SynthEdit, Tassman, etc.)
RELATED
PRODUCTS

toonertik wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 11:34 am
whyterabbyt wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 11:21 am
Calenberger wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 10:50 am
SLiC wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 10:30 am
chk071 wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 10:05 am
SLiC wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 9:59 am Sound quality is pretty subjective, having tried both I settled on VCV (didn't hurt that it was free!)
"Both"?
Cherry Audio Voltage modular and VCV.

I also tried Softtube Modular which is also very good but very expensive (for example MI Clouds is £30 from Softube but free on VCV and they are identical as they use the same open source code!)
^This!
That‘s the reason why Softube Modular is obviously the big looser in this segment.
Ha! Ha! Cherry Audio Voltage doesnt even have a Clouds module.
:?:
Modular causes a lot of confusion, that's inherent :lol:

Its why I use hardware mainly, its sat there now- I can see it, I can touch it, I can turn the knobs....

BUT - when I am not in the studio (remember when I used to travel....) VCV is my substitute for the modular fix...but they are all good, this is just a thread to celebrate 2000 modules (and the power of free software and open source development!)
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

SLiC wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 9:59 am Sound quality is pretty subjective, having tried both I settled on VCV (didn't hurt that it was free!)
"Both"?

I also tried Softtube Modular which is also very good but very expensive (for example MI Clouds is £30 from Softube but free on VCV and they are identical as they use the same open source code!)
^This!
That‘s the reason why Softube Modular is obviously the big looser in this segment.
:lol:

I just wish it would not melt my macbook with just the default patch.
So i guess its not usable on old macbooks. I wonder why because the iOS derivate called miRack is much better optimized and even runs complex patches on a phone.
VCV is great but even worse than Reaktor when it comes to cpu usage (at least for me).

peteb2006 wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 9:25 am Overchoice - I would never get anything done.
You seriously claim that you get now? :lol:

It'd be nice if we could get the 2.0 already though. It's nice to have 2000 modules, not so nice that you can't use them in a DAW on windows computers without bringing in so much hassle

Functional wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 10:24 pm It'd be nice if we could get the 2.0 already though. It's nice to have 2000 modules, not so nice that you can't use them in a DAW on windows computers without bringing in so much hassle
That's exactly what I'm waiting for - the plugin version. Also I need either midi out or the ability to host another plugin inside the plugin so I can use modular sequencing on my existing VSTs.

MitchK1989 wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 8:40 pm
Functional wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 10:24 pm It'd be nice if we could get the 2.0 already though. It's nice to have 2000 modules, not so nice that you can't use them in a DAW on windows computers without bringing in so much hassle
That's exactly what I'm waiting for - the plugin version. Also I need either midi out or the ability to host another plugin inside the plugin so I can use modular sequencing on my existing VSTs.
It can already host your existing VST's and VSTi's...

https://library.vcvrack.com/VCV-Host

...works great!

Also waiting for "Rack for DAWs" here.

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 8:53 pm
MitchK1989 wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 8:40 pm
It can already host your existing VST's and VSTi's...

https://library.vcvrack.com/VCV-Host

...works great!

Also waiting for "Rack for DAWs" here.
Yes, but I need that feature inside of ableton live (via rack for daws)

enCiphered wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 10:09 am Thanks SLiC. Very informative and helpful as always :tu:
I´m really new to the modular world of synthesis and try to find my way through everything available at the moment.
Can I use VCV Rack as a plugin in my DAW? I´ve read somewhere that this is not possible yet and even if it will be in the future, there will be a paid version.
I can´t imagine a workflow outside my DAW where I have to connect everything with virtual cables just to be able to use MIDI between DAW and instrument.
You, sir, look like you could use a fork:
https://github.com/bsp2/VeeSeeVSTRack

The codebase hasn’t been touched in over a year, though it does load (include?) something like 850 modules, with the *possibility* to add more through a manual process. No MIDI-out, I don’t think. Still it’s the freest, VST-est VCV client available.

VCV Rack as a plugin is coming (although it will be a paid product) with lots of other cool stuff

''Coming in Rack 2.0: Rewritten audio engine with better performance/stability, lower latency, and support for multiple audio interfaces so you can use your computer's sound card, USB audio interface, Eurorack audio module, etc. simultaneously in the same patch.''

Here are some amazing new free modules from Alright Devices in case anyone missed them!

https://library.vcvrack.com/?brand=Alright%20Devices
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

SLiC wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 3:17 pm VCV Rack as a plugin is coming (although it will be a paid product) with lots of other cool stuff

''Coming in Rack 2.0: Rewritten audio engine with better performance/stability, lower latency, and support for multiple audio interfaces so you can use your computer's sound card, USB audio interface, Eurorack audio module, etc. simultaneously in the same patch.''

Here are some amazing new free modules from Alright Devices in case anyone missed them!

I think everyone who has used VCV knows about Rack 2.0, and is probably by now tired of waiting for it. Yeah, it's a long process, it's just that we were initially led to expect it lot sooner - like early this year. Now we're looking at late next year probably at any rate.

That being said, of course rather that than never, but it's causing anxiety at this point because whenever I do start a VCV patch and do something, it won't take even an hour until I get anxiety because I can't hook up midi output from my DAW in any way that wouldn't induce extreme headache - and then I remember why I don't use it in the first place (for now)

Functional wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:04 am
SLiC wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 3:17 pm VCV Rack as a plugin is coming (although it will be a paid product) with lots of other cool stuff

I think everyone who has used VCV knows about Rack 2.0, and is probably by now tired of waiting for it. Yeah, it's a long process, it's just that we were initially led to expect it lot sooner - like early this year. Now we're looking at late next year probably at any rate.

That being said, of course rather that than never, but it's causing anxiety at this point because whenever I do start a VCV patch and do something, it won't take even an hour until I get anxiety because I can't hook up midi output from my DAW in any way that wouldn't induce extreme headache - and then I remember why I don't use it in the first place (for now)
I am using Voltage Modular 'as well' for that reason. There is a lot to like about Voltage Modular and it was recently on sale very cheaply (cheap upgrade from the free version). Pro's and Cons with both, but VM definitely worth having if you get it for the right price, some of the new CA Modules (instruments!) have been outstanding.

"Both"?

^This!
Hmm...

giant_panda wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 11:16 am
"Both"?

^This!
Hmm...
Almanacs Granular Processor doesnt come close and its sadly pretty crap/basic
Amazon: why not use an alternative

Return to “Modular Synthesis”