jcjr - Rosie Dog

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Sadly finishing a song has become a near-annual event nowadays, but happily did finish one. :) Will add youtube version in a couple of days. This tune is about a doggie.

http://www.errnum.com/MP3Files/RosieDog_320kbps.mp3

What a bunch of happy strings! Very nice flow throughout. With the banjo and flangy fx it reminded me of some drippy trippy slide guitar/bluegrass/country swamp music i used to enjoy. Nice one.
Reverbnation
see ya 'round...

Love it :tu:
enjoyable and uplifting.

Uploaded a youtube version.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5woiQBZfgGk

Test-listening on the phone, initially the youtube audio sounded terrible. Discovered that youtube was auto-selecting 360p and the corresponding lower-fidelity audio bitrate makes nasty-sounding acoustic guitars.

If you listen on a phone and it sounds horribly distorted you can go to youtube playback settings and set 720p or higher resolution which delivers better sound quality. Some music is low bitrate tolerant but not acoustic guitars or cymbals/hand percussion. I hear a tiny edge of distortion even in the uncompressed mix which maybe is just artifact of old ears but I can't improve it further even if "real". Just trying to keep distortion below the perceptual threshold of "damn that sucks". :)

The technique of uploading 2560 X 1440 along with uncompressed 24 bit wave audio, letting youtube do the encode, still seems to sound about as good as 320kbps MP3 at the higher youtube playback resolutions anyway.

Topic drifting-- Awhile ago got a little AudioEngine Bluetooth receiver for test-listening upstairs living room speakers without running audio cable from the phone, pad or laptop to the stereo. That AudioEngine Bluetooth receiver has surprisingly good fidelity. Ears are old but bluetooth AudioEngine DAC seems to sound better than running a cable to the receiver. Actually better-sounding rather than mere placebo effect.

Well for one thing the phone, pad and Lenovo i7 laptop have non-defeatable built-in hardware level compression on the soundchip headphone outputs, to minimize analog overload distortion on those cheap circuits. The bluetooth eliminates headphone jack output level compression. I didn't expect to hear difference between a modern cheap built-in soundchip DAC versus a "hifi" premium DAC-- Maybe the built-in headphone chip costs the manufacturer one dollar versus the bluetooth "hifi" DAC maybe costs the manufacturer two or five dollars. :)

Usually a placebo effect requires user expectations. My main expectation for spending big bucks on a bluetooth receiver was that user reviews of cheap bluetooth receivers reported hiss, hum, low audio level, distortion, dropouts and radio interference. I know I can hear and be annoyed by hiss, hum, distortion, dropouts and radio interference. So I was expecting solider cleaner connection but not necessarily "more hifi" sound than a direct cable from the headphone output to the stereo.

Anyway I digress--

Morgaxx wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 3:55 pm What a bunch of happy strings! Very nice flow throughout. With the banjo and flangy fx it reminded me of some drippy trippy slide guitar/bluegrass/country swamp music i used to enjoy. Nice one.
Thanks Morgaxx and Bansaw

Bluegrass/Mountain Music, Cajun, Celtic and some other styles have commonalities. Lacking sufficient credentials I avoid labels. Long ago bluegrass players sometimes got mad at me for covering a bluegrass tune but "not doing it right". Even mo huffy about "fake bluegrass" than some jazzers about "fake jazz" and whatever. :)

Last year wrote a Reaper JSFX ChaosPhaser plugin. Was noodling around making audio demos. One demo applied ChaosPhaser to a Kawai K5 synth string patch attempting that cheezy churning Solina string machine sound.

http://errnum.com/MP3Files/ChaosPhaserD ... achine.mp3

On later listen the demo sounded like Rosie so I fleshed out an arrangement based on the demo file. Imported the demo track, split down the middle for first and third verses then tried to add "not wildly inappropriate" stuff around it.

Was going after a 6/8 "lilting jig" feel but I also lack credentials on authentic jigs. It ended up "in the ballpark of a jig" or whatever. :) Bluegrass, Cajun music, TexMex, and others also have styles that "sound like jigs."

Rosie dog is enjoyable instrumental music.
Happy mood and good sounds.

Uplifting! Reframing traditional musics in a modern way. Authenticity be damned. :)

Nice job!

Return to “Music Cafe”