Matching volume outputs

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone knows a way of matching volume outputs from different buses. Essentially I have a drum bus and fx bus, the latter of which flip gates the drums so only one of the two is ever sounding. However I need to keep the volumes consistent. I vary the types of FX depending on the project so a static arrangement of FX with tweaked and fixed volume outputs to match the drums is not an option. I'm pretty sure a limiter would be ideal here with sidechain but really not sure beyond that. Something like the PSP Twin-L maybe. Or something simpler? Thanks
Last edited by leeleema on Sun Jul 05, 2020 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

But then the sidechain aspect wouldn't work because they are not sounding at the same time

leeleema wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 11:18 am Or something simpler?
Most often just using my ears works out quite well :shrug:
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

The Hornet VU meter plugin has a useful auto-gain feature. Turn it on, play some audio and it automatically trims the level. Just remember to turn the auto-gain off again so the level stops wandering around afterwards.

Thanks chaps, I had a look at that. I'm not quite sure that would do the trick. I think I've found my own solution. I'm going to match the levels as best I can and use exactly the same settings on the two sets of bus compression.

imrae wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 12:37 pm The Hornet VU meter plugin has a useful auto-gain feature. Turn it on, play some audio and it automatically trims the level. Just remember to turn the auto-gain off again so the level stops wandering around afterwards.
I actually ended up getting this. Very useful. I rate the developer too, the progress from Mk 1 to Mk 4 is great as he has essentially continuously improved the plug based on feedback in a post on here. Thanks for the rec!

you could also have a look at clipping, i find clipping can sometimes be very effective and almost invisible if used correctly

Return to “Production Techniques”