Improving sound quality - Import from Sibelius to play with Collection sounds

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello,

I can export a score from Sibelius into a MIDI file, and Waveform Pro will import that file, and then I can assign Collection instruments to each track in Waveform Pro. However, it is NOT importing time signature and tempo marks from the Sibelius file.

My ultimate goal is to achieve a better sound than the default Sibelius instruments produce. We're talking about 20 standard orchestra instruments. I thought Collection sounds pretty good, and for the price can't be beat. I'm not wedded to using either Sibelius or Waveform for playback, but my budget is pretty low. Just looking for a better sound. I cannot (will not) re-input all the tempos, time signatures, etc.

I'm running the latest in all software and using a 2017 iMac.

Any suggestions appreciated, TIA!

If Sibelius is supporting AU or VST plugins or AAX plugins or something(whatever Sibelius supports) I would look at better sample libraries - but if budget is low that can be a problem. Sky is the limit here pretty much.

You should be able to export to audio - so Sibelius is not needed for playback. But could be a limitation depending on versions of Sibelius. Free versions are often limited.

But also looking at other than default choices of instruments for strings, horns and whatever - could go a long way to improve the sound. There is usually some template in scoring programs assigning which instruments to use that can be altered if diving into that a bit more.

Midi file format allow to contain both tempo and time signature - so first thing I would do
- check if Sibelius is exporting that into midi
- use a daw that support import of it all.

and you still need sample libraries for orchestral sounds to use in a daw. You have more control over instruments as midi in a daw usually than in score.

Return to “Production Techniques”