Novation Impulse issue

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hey everyone,
Got an issue with my Impulse 25 - It used to work fine and now all of a sudden, when I work on a project and the keyboard is connected, it will sometime raise the pitch half a step up even though the pitch wheel was in the dead center. Furthermore, I even disconnected the pitch wheel completely and I still get this issue only when the Impulse is connected to the computer. Worked for two weeks with no issues, plugged it back, half step up.

Any inputs?

i'm impulse owner for more than 7 years, i had to live with such issue for most of it's age up-till now, however mine makes this with the modulation wheel, and i've seen other say they have the same problem with the modulation or the slider, and the same i've tried/disconnected the connector from the main board after i've checked if it's the encoder of the wheel has a problem .. i see it's the main board itself 'hardware problem' not the firmware .. which means you have to live with it as i see :)

I don't think you have a lot to do with this.
This is a known issue with Impulses afaik. Sorry mate :)

I had a similar issue with a Impulse 49 here. I think it was actually related to the pitch wheel though. Whenever I centered the pitch wheel, the poti didn't center properly, but always applied a bit of pitch modulation, so that I couldn't play a correct note. I got the controller replaced then (I actually got it replaced two times, the one with the faulty pitch wheel was a replacement for a model with faulty encoders...).

In my experience, unfortunately, in that price range, you always have to apprehend that something doesn't work. Had problems with encoders on a M-Audio Axiom 2nd gen as well.

curtiscole wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 9:38 am Hey everyone,
Got an issue with my Impulse 25 - It used to work fine and now all of a sudden, when I work on a project and the keyboard is connected, it will sometime raise the pitch half a step up even though the pitch wheel was in the dead center. Furthermore, I even disconnected the pitch wheel completely and I still get this issue only when the Impulse is connected to the computer. Worked for two weeks with no issues, plugged it back, half step up.

Any inputs?

yes its the pitch wheel I also had it with the I61. All you can do is stop your DAW from receiving pitchbend midi data.
If you don't eat yer meat, you can't have any pudding. HOW CAN YOU HAVE ANY PUDDING IF YOU DON'T EAT YER MEAT!?

kenny saunders wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 2:13 pm
curtiscole wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 9:38 am Hey everyone,

Any inputs?

yes its the pitch wheel I also had it with the I61. All you can do is stop your DAW from receiving pitchbend midi data.

Thing is - I actually opened the keyboard and completely disconnected the pitch wheel from the rest of the board and it still happened. This shit drove me crazy so I just ended up not connecting the Impulse at all.

What a pain- I dont care what they're selling these pieces of shit for. You don't sell a car with a faulty steering mechanism, then after a few deaths, keep releasing them, you recall them. If they want to sell this garbage, how about a disclaimer: Pitch and Modulation wheels will inevitably fail, but what did you expect for 'X' dollars? What garbage!

To balance this out a bit, I didn't have this problem yet on my Impule 49. Only the hardware fault I mentioned above, which wasn't there on the replacement unit.

Maybe try a firmware update, or install the latest Novation USB driver? https://support.novationmusic.com/hc/en ... -firmware- and https://customer.novationmusic.com/en/s ... d_type=all

You probably need more time chk071. I just downloaded and ran a couple of Novation drivers. Will see if it has any affect when running Reason again. Let everyone know after.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”