Valhalla reverbs - request to add ducking capability in the plugin

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

As much as I love the reverbs, I wish there was a knob within the plugin to control the input ducking so the reverb only kicks in when the input backs off. Sort of like putting an inverse gate or a compressor before the reverb if you will.

Sean, is it outside the scope of the plugin to do this? I know some delays offer this possibility, so a reverb doing this would be great.

Sean doesn't do feature requests! :P Many have tried...

ducking can also be done, without built in ducking. works great. of course as send.

If I want ducking, I either put Vintage Verb on a send with a compressor sidechained to the source or use Valhalla Delay, which has some very nice reverbs. The new modes include a ducking knob as well.

I agree, it's very convenient when delays and reverbs have a built-in ducker. I understand the complexity though, since the dev essentially has to implement a complete compressor, in addition to the reverb itself.

You can of course put a compressor after the reverb and send all the sources to its sidechain input, but that can get very messy if you have like 20 things going through the reverb...

AdvancedFollower wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 7:53 am You can of course put a compressor after the reverb and send all the sources to its sidechain input, but that can get very messy if you have like 20 things going through the reverb...
Just use another bus? Or in REAPER you can use the channel pin matrix to send a copy "around" the reverb and use it in the sidechain.

I've just set up an audio effects chain in live with a compressor for the ducking, then saved the chain for quick re-use and recall, then make the key track assignment.
It's quick, easy, and includes an EQ for standard EQ adjustments I tend make to most of my reverbs.

3ee wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 5:53 pm Sean doesn't do feature requests! :P Many have tried...
He added ducking functionality to his delay plugin in response to customer request/pressure :shrug:

el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 7:28 pm
3ee wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 5:53 pm Sean doesn't do feature requests! :P Many have tried...
He added ducking functionality to his delay plugin in response to customer request/pressure :shrug:
He added ducking as different algos/types instead of a dedicated knob for it.... maybe some people like that, I certainly don't..

Toraverb has built in ducking. Very underrated and reasonable priced (69 €) :tu: I also have some of the Valhalla reverbs, but Toraverb is the most used reverb on my electronic stuff. I dont know if it's good at simulating natural rooms, but the d16 stuff is generally focused on electronic music. Definitly worth checking the demo :tu:

He added a dark theme to modern mode VVV.

audiot wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 8:05 pm Toraverb has built in ducking. Very underrated and reasonable priced (69 €) :tu: I also have some of the Valhalla reverbs, but Toraverb is the most used reverb on my electronic stuff. I dont know if it's good at simulating natural rooms, but the d16 stuff is generally focused on electronic music. Definitly worth checking the demo :tu:
Yeah I love Toraverb!

Check to see if your DAW supports it. Bitwig has extensive side chain functionality that lets you do all sorts of fun stuff. If not, Waves has a plugin called F6 that can dynamically EQ a channel based on the frequency content of another channel.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

volution wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 3:15 pm
He added a dark theme to modern mode VVV.
Touché! :D

3ee wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 7:34 pm
el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 7:28 pm
He added ducking as different algos/types instead of a dedicated knob for it.... maybe some people like that, I certainly don't..
Your not liking the implementation doesn't change the fact that Sean added the functionality in response to customer request. He was initially opposed to the idea :tu:

Return to “Effects”