drum synthesis in 2020

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Sampling works good with drums. It's a good way to mix drum sounds from different sources in one kit and also saves cpu.

Some drum synths have excellent drum sequencers e.g. Tremor or Drumcomputer. With the midi out you can then trigger external drum sounds. That's also a nice trick.
If the mapping is different e.g. your bassdrum triggers a snare instead, you can put a midi mapper between them to reroute the midi out notes to the proper destination notes.

Edit: Geist2 is an excellent drum sampler with pretty much the same sequencer as Tremor. It also has excellent sampling functionality (that is to actually sample audio) with which you can semi automate sampling an external kit. Just create a midi track where you trigger all the sounds in a kit. Geist will slice and save each drum sound automatically.

Stefken wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 8:44 pm This one is a little know niche fm drum synth; quite special
https://ineardisplay.com/plugins/ephemere/
:tu: Yes, this is a nice one for glitchy percussion :tu: Drum Computer from Sugar Bytes is also nice for additional percussion ... it has it's very own charactrer, although I wouldnt recommend it as a bread and butter drum machine.

For Kicks I use Kick 2 by Sonic Academy - there's nothing better in my opinion :love: For claps, snares, shakers and hihats I use samples or multisampled stuff (Kontakt, Battery, Addictive drums) because in that categories i prefer organic sounds (mostly) A real hihat or a real shaker that is processed in a synthetic direction, often sounds better than a hihat or a shaker from a drum synth (but this is just my personal preference)

I also have MicroTonic but rarely use it anymore ... same for StiX, but this is related to the UI. Stix sounds great but somehow the UI doesnt work for me :shrug:

MitchK1989 wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 4:44 am Do you guys using bazille, zebra, etc for drums tend to sample the drum sounds you make? My computer not's great so trying to run 5+ bazille patches at once just for percussion would be hard.
I used to use Geist cause it samples and auto-distributes to the pads. Now SampleRobot from v6.5 exports to Bitwig sampler format so I am gonna switch to that. The latest Logic can auto-sample a synth as well and the Drum Designer is great.

Plenty of times I still use the synths and bounce to keep the midi and synth. and yeah, Bazille is pretty heavy... Zebra is easier on the CPU.

you come and go, you come and go. amitabha neither a follower nor a leader be tagore "where roads are made i lose my way" where there is certainty, consideration is absent.

xoxos wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 8:15 pm any thoughts?
https://www.kvraudio.com/product/ideal-by-xoxos
Sadly unusable over here, huge cpu spike with every note. Else would be exactly up my alley

over 3000 bessel calculations are performed with each key trigger at full spec.

runs about 15% of my single core on XP unless densely triggered, then about 50%.
you come and go, you come and go. amitabha neither a follower nor a leader be tagore "where roads are made i lose my way" where there is certainty, consideration is absent.

https://www.robpapen.com/Punch2.html

Best drum-mashine with synthesis, samples, granular, powerful fx and many others...

Two FMed oscillators (2 carriers and one modulator) with a different pitch and then lowpassed can create kicks with endless tones. Something that is impossible to make on a dedicated drum synths.

Hmm, that Ephemere would be more tempting if it went beyond 2-op FM. I've been quite tempted by the Digitone hardware which is 4-op with a simplified control set, but it's a pricy enough investment that I'd like to spend time with a software alternative first.

still using Drumspillage and PunchBox.
SugarBytes DrumComputer is nice and is on my radar, but i'll wait for a sale - it's kinda glitchy and experimental and as such with limited reach. Unique sound engine tho, i like it.

New ultrabeat-derived synths in Logic also.

Igro wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 5:47 am Two FMed oscillators (2 carriers and one modulator) with a different pitch and then lowpassed can create kicks with endless tones. Something that is impossible to make on a dedicated drum synths.
Endless? No , not really ..but still pretty cool
You can do the same and go even further with an additive oscillator with user defined partials that are audio rate modulated by an lfo/osc
Even better , user defined partial spread for inharmonic drum membrane stuff , and that's exactly what I have done in my reaktor ensemble which is essentially a 99% microtonic clone + added features
I have been nagging markus of sonic charge to incorporate an addditive oscillator .
https://www.native-instruments.com/en/r ... show/8339/
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

Return to “Instruments”