Is Halion 6 better overall value than Omnisphere 2.6?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I have tried Pianoteq a few times......I don't get 'it'.
rsp
sound sculptist

zvenx wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 12:08 pm I have tried Pianoteq a few times......I don't get 'it'.
rsp
See? :shrug:
Fernando (FMR)

What do I see? that it is a personal taste? It is always a personal taste?
I am definitely not the only one about Pianoteq.
4damind wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 5:13 pm Pianoteq has still an artificial sound but its great for creative sounds but not if you only need a very natural sounding piano.
The Yamaha C7 in Keyscape sounds amazing.

At the end of the day, the OP has to decide for him/herself....
Piano was my first instrument, on most days my most loved instrument, if indeed I found Pianoteq sounded good to me, i would have bought it. i don't. I do find it artificial sounding and something seems off with the dynamics range to me..... I had tried the demo a few times...
I would be shocked if it has sold more than Kontakt Piano libraries costing equivalent pricing.

rsp
sound sculptist

Learned piano at age of 3 back in 1960. I've played just about every acoustic and electronic piano you can think of. With all the pianos I have now, with few exceptions, I use Pianoteq.

Ultimately, after you've EQ'd the hell out of it so that it doesn't mask the vocals and buried in the mix along with everything else, it doesn't really matter much. I guarantee that if I played you 3 different tracks with 3 different pianos, you couldn't tell me which one was which, let alone pick out the Pianoteq one because it sounds so "artificial"

Oh well, to each his own.

Well let us take that gamble. what sampled pianos do you own?
rsp
sound sculptist

Omnisphere's library is nothing short of spectacular... Halion 6 is a little more pedestrian. That said, depends what you want to do with either of them. If you're wanting to sampler Omnisphere doesn't even come close. Halion's wavetable editor is amazing as well and its granular engine I find way more flexible than Omnisphere.

Work with HAL every Day - Sound Design - but never liked Synth and WT Engine - but I'm still looking up to Omni.

How ever - HAL is a DIY Tool that comes with one of those huge Librarys. Omni is a Preset Machine where the User has no Access to certain Functions.

Maybe you'll like HALs Lib, but I'm still wondering how my "best Mate" can make such horrible "Noise". Every second Freeware Synth sounds better.

Sampling is fun. Best Mate. The Rest ist C-Class in Comparison. The FX are weak. But ok - granular is outstanding.

AS already said - Power User ... But DIY!
Last edited by GRUMP on Wed Jul 08, 2020 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

zvenx wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 3:01 pm Well let us take that gamble. what sampled pianos do you own?
rsp
Who knows? I've lost track. I don't even look for them anymore and would have to dig deep into my archives to even find stuff that I did with the sampled pianos.

Phil Best - How I get Pianoteq to sound good - the art of sonority:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4SEgi5pADA

GRUMP wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 3:16 pm ...
How ever - HAL is a DIY Tool that comes with one of those huge Librarys. Omni is a Preset Machine where the User has no Access to certain Functions.

I am curious, beyond allowing the user to utilitize their own multi samples which other omnisphere function(s) does the user not have access to?

Sure sounds like you are confusing Nexus with Omnisphere.
rsp
Last edited by zvenx on Wed Jul 08, 2020 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sound sculptist

bnz wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 3:28 pm Phil Best - How I get Pianoteq to sound good - the art of sonority:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4SEgi5pADA
I dare anybody to tell me that sounds like crap.

Eh, we all have our biases. And when we have them, we usually have them for life.

I will never play a sampled piano ever again.

zvenx wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 3:37 pm
GRUMP wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 3:16 pm ...

I am curious, beyond allowing the user to utilitize their own multi samples which other omnisphere function(s) does the user not have access to?

Sure sounds like you are confusing Nexus with Omnisphere.
rsp
How shall I know? WT Export maybe. Stuff like that and maybe some Parts of the Architecture?

Btw I'll immediately jump onto the next Skyscraper when WE hear Sounds like these fromm HAL https://youtu.be/-dKiDV-G3CM

That looks more like an interesting challenge to me ;-) Why don't you pick one or two Omnisphere pads that you think are impossible to recreate in Halion.

Just to be clear: I'm not even sure about the outcome....

You know this thread made me download pianoteq again to try.
There is something still about it (the dynamics maybe, that IR;s don't quite replicate the interaction between the sound of the piano, mics and rooms) that still does not float my boat....
I have nothing to gain by not liking it (well save myself a few hundred dollars of course :)). It just doesn't do anything for me.
I can understand why some people like it, nothing wrong with that, taste is personal. It just doesn't connect with me as an instrument.
rsp
sound sculptist

GRUMP wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 4:06 pm .........

How shall I know? WT Export maybe. Stuff like that and maybe some Parts of the Architecture?

It is you who made the claim.
rsp
sound sculptist

Return to “Instruments”