Is Halion 6 better overall value than Omnisphere 2.6?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hexachords wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 12:13 pm Omni sounds better out of the box IMO :-)
Agree 100%. Wasn't the question asked by the OP however. He didn't ask, "Which sounds better?" He asked, "Which is the better value?"

In fact, screw HALion 6. Wait for Absolute to go on sale and get that. It comes with HALion and a whole bunch of other stuff including pianos. And Absolute, on sale, costs less than Omnisphere. In fact, I got Absolute for $300. That's $200 less than Omnisphere which never goes on sale.

Now THAT'S a real value

wagtunes wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 12:18 pm
Hexachords wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 12:13 pm Omni sounds better out of the box IMO :-)
Agree 100%. Wasn't the question asked by the OP however. He didn't ask, "Which sounds better?" He asked, "Which is the better value?"

In fact, screw HALion 6. Wait for Absolute to go on sale and get that. It comes with HALion and a whole bunch of other stuff including pianos. And Absolute, on sale, costs less than Omnisphere. In fact, I got Absolute for $300. That's $200 less than Omnisphere which never goes on sale.

Now THAT'S a real value
Exactly !!! - Absolute is the way to get the deal right.what is great too is that the upgrades are very reasonably priced...when I saw the GA5 out however and the upgrade price - it was actually a joke imo .. I hope they read all the comments by now and adjusted pricing >> cubase upgrade 10>10.5 $ is very good - in comparison to many other [ ableton,reason, Studio one,bitwig..]
..and like with anything else - take learning a Vsti seriously or you'll never get the most out of it.
MPG X670E CARBON Ryzen 9 7900, 64Gb 6K DDR5 4x2tb Nvmes

Sigh.. Value does not only equate to Quantity, Quality also is a very important part of Value.
rsp
sound sculptist

zvenx wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 12:57 pm Sigh.. Value does not only equate to Quantity, Quality also is a very important part of Value.
rsp
Except if you need a wide pallet of sounds (piano, bass, drums, etc.) I don't care how good the quality is. A world class violin VST isn't going to get your demo track done if you need a whole "band" in a box.

Again, this is why I don't have just ONE thing. And if I could only AFFORD one thing, it wouldn't be Omnisphere because I will be limited to what I can do with it. And the quality of Absolute is GOOD ENOUGH to get a decent demo out of it.

Perhaps if the OP came back (they never do, do they) and explained exactly what it is he's looking for in regard to value, maybe we could be of better assistance.

But USUALLY when people ask what the better VALUE is, they're not as concerned with sound quality as with how much ground the product covers.

At least that is my understanding of the word value.

YMMV

Let's find out what his is, okay?

wagtunes wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 1:56 pm ...

Agreed.
rsp
sound sculptist

Value has two meanings: quantity (“how much ground”) and utility (usefulness for a purpose), both compared to what you pay. This interesting thread suggests that all the mentioned products are priced correctly.
d o n 't
w a n t
m o r e

wagtunes wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 1:56 pm
zvenx wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 12:57 pm Sigh.. Value does not only equate to Quantity, Quality also is a very important part of Value.
rsp
Except if you need a wide pallet of sounds (piano, bass, drums, etc.) I don't care how good the quality is. A world class violin VST isn't going to get your demo track done if you need a whole "band" in a box.

Again, this is why I don't have just ONE thing. And if I could only AFFORD one thing, it wouldn't be Omnisphere because I will be limited to what I can do with it. And the quality of Absolute is GOOD ENOUGH to get a decent demo out of it.

Perhaps if the OP came back (they never do, do they) and explained exactly what it is he's looking for in regard to value, maybe we could be of better assistance.

But USUALLY when people ask what the better VALUE is, they're not as concerned with sound quality as with how much ground the product covers.

At least that is my understanding of the word value.

YMMV

Demo? This isn't 1988 the plethora of software people need to be putting out commercial releases. Lol. I'm just kidding being in my 40s the word demo takes me back to when we were
Sending demos to several labels in the 80s

Though a little besides the topic and no proof for anything, I've played around a little and tried to recreate the Lush Green Strings from Omnisphere in Halion:

Track 02:
https://1drv.ms/u/s!AohO8iAIn18ahL90ZND ... w?e=gZ6mte

Track 03:
https://1drv.ms/u/s!AohO8iAIn18ahL9170t ... Q?e=92W8x1

No processing except the Halion FX, I tried to level it nearly the same.

What track is Halion, what is Omnisphere?

Granted, there are some subtle differences in the attack, but I think this is due to some imperfections in my envelopes.

I think the comparison makes more sense if the granular engine or the synth engine in omnisphere is used and then compared to some Halion programming. But for what it is, I think the sound of Halion works just fine ... :D

I prefer track 02 which ever that is.
Orion Platinum, Muzys 2

bnz wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 10:10 pm Though a little besides the topic and no proof for anything, I've played around a little and tried to recreate the Lush Green Strings from Omnisphere in Halion:

Track 02:
https://1drv.ms/u/s!AohO8iAIn18ahL90ZND ... w?e=gZ6mte

Track 03:
https://1drv.ms/u/s!AohO8iAIn18ahL9170t ... Q?e=92W8x1

No processing except the Halion FX, I tried to level it nearly the same.

What track is Halion, what is Omnisphere?

Granted, there are some subtle differences in the attack, but I think this is due to some imperfections in my envelopes.

I think the comparison makes more sense if the granular engine or the synth engine in omnisphere is used and then compared to some Halion programming. But for what it is, I think the sound of Halion works just fine ... :D
Now seeing this.
Track 2 is Omnisphere.
rsp
sound sculptist

Track 3 just needs an lfo that starts on the release, to match Track 2 perfectly
d o n 't
w a n t
m o r e

I have noticed that I missed a modwheel filter setting in the modmatrix. I have updated the mp3's with a modwheel filter example in the end and fixed the envelopes a little. I think it's closer now. And yes, track 02 is Omnispere.

Wasted youth ...

bnz wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 8:51 am I have noticed that I missed a modwheel filter setting in the modmatrix. I have updated the mp3's with a modwheel filter example in the end and fixed the envelopes a little. I think it's closer now. And yes, track 02 is Omnispere.
320 mp3 vs 192 mp3 would have been a bit better too.
But thanks for doing this.

It is a lot closer than I thought Halion would come, but yeah for me definitely I haven't changed my opinion on which one to my ears is much better ear candy. (and it isn't just this sound, I do have both).
rsp
sound sculptist

First of all, it should be taken into account that creating one to compare with the other will inherently contain the bias of that programmer looking to achieve a particular confirmation to that stated bias.

More germain to this comparison, I would suggest comparing the stock presets of the H6 acoustic & electric pianos to the Omni-pianos - (without using Keyscape) and also the electric & acoustic basses between the two (without using Trilian).

And then head to head, explore the others where things could be missing for your uses.

Return to “Instruments”