best guitar distortion and fx 2020?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

It's very competitive at the moment, comes down to preferred workflow and amp types really.

I think current leaders are Neural DSP and Mercuriall.
I don't agree that there is no "wrong choice". There are lots of mediocre but highly hyped/advertised products that you can run into while missing the lesser known stuff. It's best to demo everything yourself before deciding to buy anything.

Well that is your opinion but yes demo. A4 has very good modelling but like a new outboard pedal needs tweaking from what is there. Kuassa can sound very good. Sgear is good. Mercurial and Kazrog are good. Etc etc what is it you wish to play and how much willing to spend? I don't see latency and sound any better on items anyone has mentioned. You can achieve great tones with all of them.

Disclaimer: I work for Neural DSP (whenever I have free time from my dayjob as a producer...), but I can still pretty much objectively & warmly recommend their plugins. As the company name suggests, the amp simulations are based on the latest deep learning tech, which is such cool s*it it often makes me feel we are living in the future...

If you like cleaner tones, the mentioned Plini is very good, as well as the just released Archetype: Cory Wong. Check out the reverb+shimmer in Cory, I worked on those! :D
Last edited by Captain on Fri Jul 10, 2020 4:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Main thing that I don't like about Neural DSP is that for whatever reason they don't want to disclose the names of the amps they're modeling. For a long time I completely ignored them because a bunch of purely software amps not associated with some known hardware references just isn't appealing. I think many people don't just want good tones, but have desire of owning certain expensive amps and if software tells you it's "based on amp X" then it can sort of fulfill that desire in a way that an unnamed algorithm can't.

Captain wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 7:57 pm --snip--
If you like cleaner tones, the mentioned Plini is very good, as well as the just released Archetype: Cory Wong. Check out the reverb+shimmer in Cory, I worked on those! :D
Nice work on the reverb/shimmer. I've been demoing Archetype: Cory Wong for the last couple days, and purchased it this afternoon. My first Neural DSP sim, and I think it sounds great (obviously).

The reverb can really go over the top and sound lush (as evident from a couple of the presets) but it's also nice in moderation, which is how I'll most likely use it. That's got a nice delay as well.

I can also recommend Kuassa's Caliburn and Matchlock, as well as Nembrini's version of the SLO100, The BST100. There are some goon lower-gain sounds in there as well as the hi-gain you'd expect. Their amp sims are currently on sale for $35 USD.

Arp_ wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 11:03 pm Main thing that I don't like about Neural DSP is that for whatever reason they don't want to disclose the names of the amps they're modeling.
In some cases, the modeled amplifier is right there in the plugin name (like Fortin Cali & NTS, or Omega Granophyre). And with something like Archetype: Nolly, the amps are anyway modified by the artist, so it's more about modeling his signature tone than a specific mass-built amp. But yeah, I get what you are saying, and I'm guessing it's the same reasons why most software amp companies don't often reveal what their models are based on (although you can usually find a lot of hints, or unofficial "based on" lists).

Milford wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 4:41 am Nice work on the reverb/shimmer. I've been demoing Archetype: Cory Wong for the last couple days, and purchased it this afternoon. My first Neural DSP sim, and I think it sounds great (obviously).

The reverb can really go over the top and sound lush (as evident from a couple of the presets) but it's also nice in moderation, which is how I'll most likely use it. That's got a nice delay as well.
Thank you, glad you are digging it! :) The reverb+shimmer unit is the result of several people working on it (as is everything else in the plugin), but I'm happy to have been part of that. Yeah, I often find myself getting lost in way too much shimmer (what can I say, I just love that shimmering tail)... but sometimes just a touch of reverb can go a long way. I also like the analog-style sound of the delay, there's something about these dark lo-fi delay tails that I could listen to forever (and I do....).

Demoed the Neural DSP Cory (first time trying Neural stuff) and it is amazing just going through the presets - purchased it on the spot!!!! Shimmer is indeed beautiful.

If the Cortex is as good quality I think I will he ditching my AxeFX.

Any other Neural plugin recommendations? Im not really a high gain player - more clean to classic marshall type

I recently bought bluecat's axiom without too much expectation, but it surprised me a lot. I was expecting to tweak endlessly the amp before getting something I liked, but it was relatively quick to set up and the playing sensations are hawesome for crunch/mid gain sounds I'm looking for.

kultschar wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 2:26 pmAny other Neural plugin recommendations? Im not really a high gain player - more clean to classic marshall type
Fortin Cali probably can fit that type of sound (clean to classic Marshall), although it can cover higher gain ones as well. I think it is one of the most versatile of the bunch.
Peace, my friends. I'm not seeking arguments here. ;)

Or Spark or Bias Marshall's or Audiority or IKM Fender2-British series or free Resonant Amp or SGear

https://www.overloud.com/products/th-u-full

Or their cheaper versions targeted at styles
Amazon: why not use an alternative

https://www.audiomediaresearch.com/revalver-4

Worth checking out as the basic version is free and you just buy the stuff you want.
Can host VSTs too.
Sale on at the moment
Amazon: why not use an alternative

I’m very happy with Line6 Helix Native. Here’s an example using a preset made by Glenn DeLaune on my HX Stomp running through Helix Native for even more effects: https://soundcloud.com/turbotobben/stormy-friday
My Soundcloud Too many pieces of music finish far too long after the end. - Stravinsky

Return to “Effects”