Seeking replacement VST's for Ohmicide, QuadFrohmage and Ohmboyz

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Good evening,

Well, I think I've reached the end of my rope with Ohmforce. I'm running Cubase 10.5 and I've now realized that all three of the plugins mentioned in this Subject no longer respond to Automation. This, along with the LFO's now deciding to refuse to sync to the transport have driven me up the wall... and I've emailed support three times over the last two months with no response.

So, since I may be binning these classic VSTs from my workflow - I'd like to ask what some good replacements for them may be. I adored QuadFrohmage for it's flexible routing and modulation options. Ohmboyz for it's rich delay path structure and Ohmicide as a multi-purpose distortion unit.

Thank you,
Erik
I've recorded over 400 answering machines - the Best Of recordings are available for use and can be found here:
https://answerphone.tumblr.com/

Oh man, sorry to hear they're not working under Cubase 10.5. Those are some real classics and it might be hard to replace them; I have fond memories of the Ohmies' stuff, including those plugins.

As far as delays go, have you investigated Unfiltered Audio's Sandman Pro? I have it but haven't used it much... But I understand it is quite flexible/modulatable.
A well-behaved signature.

I haven't heard of Sandman Pro. I've been out of the music hobby for... a bit (namely software, fell into a Eurorack hole, but figuring out my balance) but I'll check it out. Thanks.

Yeah, it's sad to see them be so wonky. I'm more surprised at the lack of a response from their Support email at this point. I love those plugins and I'll be incredibly sad to sunset them.
I've recorded over 400 answering machines - the Best Of recordings are available for use and can be found here:

Ohmicide - FabFilter Saturn
Quad Frohmage - Cytomic The Drop

They can also be controled via midi learn which is much more flexible than automation tracks, in my opinion (I also use Cubase 10.5.20). I completly gave up on Ohmicide a long time ago, as it's constantly crashing Cubase :bang: but OhmBoyz works (havent used it lately).

Finding substitutes that have the same features should be easy ... but soundwise :? Izotope Trash and Audio Damage Kombinat Tri can also sound agressive but it's not the same as Ohmicide. Best multiband distortion in terms of features/usability is Fabfilter Saturn 2, as Passing Bye said :tu:

I have no experiences with QuadFrohmage, but Sugar Bytes WOW2 is a great sounding Filter/Distortion with lots of modulation options :love: Same for FilterShaper/Shaperbox by CableGuys.

For OhmBoyz your best option is to wait for OhmBoyz Infinity (official release date 4/2018 :wink:)

Seams the developer has lost his enthusiasm since OhmStudio flopped :neutral:

Oof. I'm so sorry to hear that Ohmicide was crashing Cubase for you. I never had that issue and it was a constant tool in my toolbox.

I really wish OhmStudio didn't flop - I liked the concept quite a lot but... admittedly, never looked into it seriously. I was already deep into Cubase and learning another DAW is a hard ask.

Trash 2 is an option for distortion. Comes with great filtering, convolution and compression to really help to design a sound that'll fit many scenarios.

For delay, it'll depend how much of what you liked about OhmBoyz depended on it's multi-tap features. For the craziness, I'd look at Sandman Pro and RP-Delay, which can also do some off the wall delays. But if you liked how dangerous playing with OB's filter could be, then Replika XT with it's in-line filter option can also easily get into 'about-to-blow-your-speakers' territory...espexially with the peak filter. A lot of fun :tu:

It is also worth mentioning that OhmForce are apparently working slowly on bringing their plugins up-to-date. Despite promising to keep people in the loop, they are not forthcoming with any info. However, every year-or-so, they do show screenshots of progress.Doesn't fill me with confidence, but who knows. If you have the cash, and feel like taking a ount, you can get a special pre-order discount via your account.

audiot wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 10:55 am Seams the developer has lost his enthusiasm since OhmStudio flopped :neutral:
Now that came unexpected.. *cough**cough* :roll:
Intel® Core™ i9-9900K•Cubase 11•Presonus Eris E8 XT•Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 & Octopre•NI Kontrol S61 MK2•Stein­berg CC121•Synthesizers: Arturia Casio Korg Roland Yamaha

In addition to Trash, Kombinat is a good multiband distortion alternative.

el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 2:40 pm It is also worth mentioning that OhmForce are apparently working slowly on bringing their plugins up-to-date. Despite promising to keep people in the loop, they are not forthcoming with any info. However, every year-or-so, they do show screenshots of progress.Doesn't fill me with confidence, but who knows. If you have the cash, and feel like taking a ount, you can get a special pre-order discount via your account.

Good news ... somehow :pray: They still have great sounding product line, that should simply get some updates. I would pay for an Ohmicide update that's stable ... and has a less artistic UI :scared:

_oswald wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 1:30 pm Oof. I'm so sorry to hear that Ohmicide was crashing Cubase for you. I never had that issue and it was a constant tool in my toolbox.

I really wish OhmStudio didn't flop - I liked the concept quite a lot but... admittedly, never looked into it seriously. I was already deep into Cubase and learning another DAW is a hard ask.
Some bugs are graphic card related. I switched from Nvidia to ATI (which i would highly recommend to all nvidia useres) and I have the feeling that this was the time when Ohmicide stoped working ... i might be wrong, but otherwise my Cubase is rock solid (Win 10).
Last edited by audiot on Sat Jul 11, 2020 5:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.

audiot wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 4:56 pm
el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 2:40 pm It is also worth mentioning that OhmForce are apparently working slowly on bringing their plugins up-to-date. Despite promising to keep people in the loop, they are not forthcoming with any info. However, every year-or-so, they do show screenshots of progress.Doesn't fill me with confidence, but who knows. If you have the cash, and feel like taking a ount, you can get a special pre-order discount via your account.

Good news ... somehow :pray: They still have great sounding product line, that should simply get some updates. I would pay for an Ohmicide update that's stable ... and has a less artistic UI :scared:
Like this, perhaps:

P.S I loved their older art-style gui's. And my only complaint about Ohmicide's was the small size :shrug:

For delays, maybe that D16 Sigmund or Eareckon's Earebound could suit your needs.
https://d16.pl/sigmund
https://www.eareckon.com/en/products/ea ... st-au.html

As far as filter goes, you may find a similar grit and crazyness (than with the Omhboys) with Inear Display plugins.
https://ineardisplay.com/plugins/cruelle/
https://ineardisplay.com/plugins/regressif/

For multiband saturation AD Kombinat is good (as said above). BlueCat Destructor is also a very powerful saturation device (while being full spectrum, not multiband, but the pre & post eqs allow for great pre/de-emphasis).
https://www.bluecataudio.com/Products/P ... estructor/
(On a very personal note, in the context of this thread and despite being an awesome sound mangler i would not suggest Izotope Trash, because it is nearly as old and abandonware as the Omhboyz)
Last edited by sinkmusic on Sat Jul 11, 2020 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 5:00 pm
audiot wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 4:56 pm

Like this, perhaps:

:o ... thats a great UI :hyper: When did they post that screenshot? Before or after that blue one from the homepage?

Return to “Effects”