Benefits of Hardware

Modular Synth design and releases (Reaktor, SynthEdit, Tassman, etc.)
RELATED
PRODUCTS

What are the benefits of real, hardware modules vs. Reaktor, Falcon, VCV Rack, etc. The ability to adjust two parameters at once is useful, but that could be configured via a midi controller in software.

Is it just a really expensive way to feel like you're playing an "instrument"?

Nostalgia :D

edit: :dog: realized this was posted in modular section
Last edited by V0RT3X on Sun Jul 12, 2020 12:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
:borg:

They are also different, despite what devs may say, it's not practical to model every nuance of electrical and mechanical phenomena present in a typical hardware synth. The processing thing is definitely a disadvantage of software DSP as well. IMO, software's main advantage is in versatility, it's not as big of a deal to add or modify functionality in software.

You might think the advantage would be in the cost, IME, in the long run hardware is less costly. It's more upfront cost mostly. Add up the cost of that 1000+ high quality plugin collection and you would no doubt be surprised at the amount of hardware you could buy for the same cost.

For me, hardware provides more fun and interest and therefore more creativity. YMMV of course.

*Specifically in regard to modular, with VCV and the free stuff in VM and Reaktor, cost is not as
big of an issue, still it depends on what you buy. With software modular, one could easily rival
the cost of a hardware system. No doubt there are some dudes floating around here with fair
amounts of coin dumped into VM, Softube Modular and whatever. If not individually, then
certainly collectively. :)

cant tie the missus up with virtual cabling :)

unless shes a virtualgf obviously.

mj21000hello wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 9:39 pm What are the benefits of real, hardware modules vs. Reaktor, Falcon, VCV Rack, etc.
They're real.
The ability to adjust two parameters at once is useful, but that could be configured via a midi controller in software.
The ability to adjust any parameter immediately is also useful, and I dont really see any midi controllers with 48 encoders, which is the number of 'parameters' I have on a single 1-row skiff.
Given that a lot of systems seem to be in the 3 to 6 row size, what's that going to be, 200 encoders or more?

Oh wait, by 'configured via a midi controller in software' did you mean 'isnt immediate, takes 20 minutes to set up, and has to be redone for any change in the patch architecture?'

Sounds about as much fun as accounting.
Is it just a really expensive way to feel like you're playing an "instrument"?
No more than using software on the PC/soundcard/screens/speakers/DAW/plugin setup required to half-way replicate a hardware modular is just a really expensive way to feel like you're playing a spreadsheet.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

Software is bad at audio-rate modulation, distortion and feedback loops; it's doable at great cost in fidelity, dev time and/or CPU. Analogue hardware does these things effortlessly (sometimes unintentionally...)

With hardware if you have multiple modular systems or semi modular synths you can combine them by patching between them. It’s not possible with most software.

I like real hardware modules because they are actual physical objects in the real world. I like to play my instruments- to touch them and manipulate them directly in expressive musical gestures. Looking at a virtual representation of modules on a screen will never replace that for me. At best, I can map a handful of parameters to a controller after a patch is completed, but that isn’t practical while building the patch in the first place. It isn’t like I’m going to constantly remap module parameters to controller knobs as I instantiate them and experiment and explore a patch concept. The “adjust two parameters at once” notion really only applies to performance of a finished patch with predetermined parameters to be used for specific gestures.

Of course virtual instruments have their place, and I appreciate them and use them for what they’re good at. It’s nice to be able to add twenty oscillators on a whim. I have several interfaces which allow me to bridge the hardware and software worlds to leverage the best of both. And sometimes I’ll be sitting in bed on my laptop late at night and decide to make some noise, in which case it’s very convenient to have what I need virtually at my fingertips.

Similarly, I have lots of drum samples, drum synths, drum sequencers in software. That didn’t stop me from recently buying a Nord Drum 3P because I wanted to learn to actually play a percussion instrument with my hands. It’s a meaningful physical experience which rewards practice in a tangible way which I was never able to capture by drawing notes on a grid with a mouse.
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

Funny thing about this is, most of the modular hardware guys are quick to recommend software modular for modular noobs to save them shelling out lots of coin for something they might not like in the end.

It’s mostly the modular software guys IME, who like to dump on the hardware guys saying they are wasting their monies and are stupid. :lol:

Right. VCV and Reaktor Blocks are brilliant and I recommend playing with them. But I've barely used them since assembling 84hp of Eurorack.

The benefits of hardware are vastly outnumbered by the benefits of software IMO.

For example, the advantage of no CPU usage vs. the ability to use as many instances of a plugin as my CPU can handle.

Also, the sheer thought of having to wire up all that stuff, or even having to buy additional hardware to use multiple devices at the same time makes me shudder a bit.

I thought many times about buying hardware, but, in the end, I don't really see the benefit. Although I wouldn't count out getting a analog synth at some point, which would be one of the few things I still consider, simply because I sometimes feel that analog synths still have the edge in terms of sound over most soft synths.

^ And that's fine :tu: folks should use what they like and that's that. Personally, I think everyone should at least experience both, to see which they prefer. I say that as I happily play my Sequential Pro 3 into Cherry Audio''s VM, introducing some good ole analog soundwaves into VM's virtual modular abyss. :)

Since this topic rarely comes up for discussion i will chime in:
the main advantages of hardware are the visceral experience of turning knobs, switching switches, etc. plus the one to one correspondence of each knob (always controlling the same thing).
As for cost, i can’t possibly see how there is the slightest comparison. An expensive computer running an expensive DAW and expensive plugins, expensive interface, controller and a bunch of paid upgrades is still going to be dirt cheap compared to buying hardware that covers the exact same functions. If i were to try to buy all that hardware i would need a much larger place to rent and exponentially more money. I love my hardware and my music making software, all good.
gadgets an gizmos..make noise https://soundcloud.com/crystalawareness Restocked: 3/24
old stuff http://ww.dancingbearaudioresearch.com/
if this post is edited -it was for punctuation, grammar, or to make it coherent (or make me seem coherent).

Return to “Modular Synthesis”