BSOD Problem with TPKD.sys from an old version from iLok Pace (my bad)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

VladK wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 8:56 pm
JerGoertz wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 8:49 pm Same here. I feel for the people who have these problems, but I've been using iLok/Pace for about 20 decades any major problems.
LOL, have you seen Napoleon Bonaparte alive?
Well, I did see him in "Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure", does that count? :lol:
A well-behaved signature.

jdnz wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 8:41 pm you're talking about the old Avox4 bundle stuff? I remember installing them back in 2016 and they blindly installed an ancient (2013) version of the ilok manager over the top of my current version.
Thats exactly what happened, i had the last version installed, i tried to install that EVO autotune thing and maybe installed an old version.

In any case, i won't do it again.

Teksonik wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 9:05 pm
Halonmusic wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 8:56 pm 200 years? :P
It just seems that long. 2020 feels like it's gone on for a decade or so already....
Really? Time must be flowing slooooowly in sin city :hihi:
JerGoertz wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 9:15 pm
Halonmusic wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 8:56 pm
JerGoertz wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 8:49 pm
abi wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 8:30 pm Sorry to hear that Ilonka screwed your system.

Still, I‘ve been using ilok for several years with many licenses and no problems whatsoever.
Same here. I feel for the people who have these problems, but I've been using iLok/Pace for about 20 decades any major problems.
200 years? :P
Give or take... :P
:lol:
EnergyXT3 - LMMS - FL Studio | Roland SH201 - Waldorf Rocket | SoundCloud - Bandcamp

so it wasn't iLok that trashed your system, it was EVO?

I've had mixed results. My first foray into PACE completely blue screened me and then I couldn't even boot the PC - had to re-install windows. That put me off for at least ten years. Then there were some effects I wanted (Soundtoys I think) that were iLok so I tried them and this has been more successful.

However about a year or so ago the app updated and then it disappeared off my system. None of my iLok stuff would work (naturally) and I could not re-install, uninstall or anything. I had to go back to a restore point I luckily had.

I now always make a restore point before updating anything to do with iLok.

psynical wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 9:24 pm so it wasn't iLok that trashed your system, it was EVO?
Auto-Tune Evo VST 6.0.9.2 to be exact. I don't know if this was a free version, old version, or what. 2018 February.

Teksonik wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 9:05 pm
Halonmusic wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 8:56 pm 200 years? :P
It just seems that long. 2020 feels like it's gone on for a decade or so already....

Re OP, sounds like its more of an OS/Windoze issue. This kind of things happens on macOS these days too. We need a new better stable robust OS that is not Windoze or macOS.

plexuss wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 10:14 pm Re OP, sounds like its more of an OS/Windoze issue. This kind of things happens on macOS these days too. We need a new better stable robust OS that is not Windoze or macOS.
Linux. :tu:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

psynical wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 9:24 pm so it wasn't iLok that trashed your system, it was EVO?
When was the last time you installed a plugin (not to confused with the copy protection is uses) and had it hose your system to the point where you had to reinstall Windows ?

Plugins generally don't get their hooks deep enough into your system to cause that kind of damage. Now things like Pace and Codemeter that run as processes and load at startup ? That's a whole different story.
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Surely was a legit version, right? Only asking because I noticed the search results on google for this version number...
Only gonna say that iLok didn't override any driver or PACE central with an older version ever here.

Teksonik wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 10:22 pm
plexuss wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 10:14 pm Re OP, sounds like its more of an OS/Windoze issue. This kind of things happens on macOS these days too. We need a new better stable robust OS that is not Windoze or macOS.
Linux. :tu:
Did you skip the "stable and robust" part? :hihi:

Anyway, it's really not much more than a assumption that it's the OS's fault.

I've tried several distributions of Linux on several systems here and they've all been "stable and robust" and I'm by no means a Linux expert. On every system I've dual booted Linux and Win 10 the Linux boot far out performs. My Favorite Distro right now is Kubuntu and it's been bullet proof so far. :shrug:

If I could run all the software I have on Windows now on Linux without some workaround like Wine I would have kicked Windows to the curb a long time ago.

But yea I don't think this issue is necessarily an OS fault.

mike_the_ranger wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 10:33 pm Surely was a legit version, right? Only asking because I noticed the search results on google for this version number...
Only gonna say that iLok didn't override any driver or PACE central with an older version ever here.
Well, i was finding autotune effects, and i stumbled upon an article which said "best free autotune vsts".
There was only this one i didn't know about, and looked gorgeous, so i gave it a try.
I know there is a paid version of EVO by Antares, and the list of vsts i found in that article looked legit to me, or non cracked thingy. (I don't use cracked stuff and i even don't look for them)

If i can find the article, i will post here. Now super busy and full of anxiety, installing everything again. :x

PS:
https://thehomerecordings.com/free-auto ... t-plugins/

No idea if this website is legit or not, but seemed ok to me. That Autotune looked an old version or free version before the actual paid version.
Maybe i even installed a virus :shrug: , no idea. But BSOD error was triggered by TPKD.sys which is part of PACE iLok. Why? I don't know.

My only advice is make liberal use of the "Create Restore Point" in Windows before updates. Hopefully Windows can roll straight back to that restore point if it runs into trouble.

Return to “Effects”