Similar alternatives to Hybrid 3 for digital sounds

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

yul wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 4:01 am
Teksonik wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 2:48 am For $5 you can't put up with the Hybrid GUI ? It's a great synth with a very unashamed digital sound. I've probably done a couple of hundred patches since I've owned it so it's not impossible to work with just not very comfortable.

True it's actually very pleasing to the eye. It's really not that bad except that I am using a 3rd party mouse app for the fine tuning otherwise I have to use the keyboard ctrl key.. really no big deal.

I am just wondering ir there would be anything "better" it doesn't seem all that simple. Only contender is Virsyn Tera 3 which I own but don't use (abandonware, some minor bugs)

Cheers
How about....
Teksonik wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 2:15 am DS Thorn ?

https://www.plugin-alliance.com/en/prod ... thorn.html

( Even though it's a great synth don't pay the full asking price, they'll have a sale at some point)
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

There are tons of unashamedly digital ensembles in the Reaktor library (but it's GUI is rather small too).

Otherwise, Cypher 2, Pigments, Synth master 2 come to mind as my favorite digital synths.

Actually, if Hybrid isn't simple enough, then I'd argue that most similar synths are more complicated, and feature laden than Hybrid. Hybrid is really not that complicated. Although the multi page layout sucks a bit.

It's kind of a difficult request to fulfill since he's "looking for an alternative to H3" is "leaving all the vintage analog emus behind" and is "looking for modern, cutting edge sounds" but then asks for "3 VA ocs......not so much into wavetables".

Yet Hybrid is a wavetable synth. So trying to keep in mind Hybrid's bright metallic digital (in a good way) character and with 3 Oscs I could only come up with DS Thorn and maybe Babylon but it's way too limited. Maybe Ana 2 might fit.

Seems like the criteria for the request is somewhat contradictory.... :?
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Right, "modern digital" sounds are not subtractive synthesis with basic waveforms. So you don't need three oscillators.

If what you're after is something very digital that has a good workflow/interface... maybe Razor?

Hello all thanks for your feedback, great recommendations, really.

I already have quite a few synths. It doesnt seem like 3 osc VA's which are not based on vintage or wavetables are that easy to come by.

Please don't take my request or feedback too literally. Sometimes there is no clear cut solution.

I believe that most of the relevant names have been laid out. I will give most of them a look.

Thanks again!

yul wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 7:31 pm It doesnt seem like 3 osc VA's which are not based on vintage or wavetables are that easy to come by.
Well Dune 3 is a 3 Osc VA synth that's not based on a vintage synth. It does have Wavetables but you don't have to use them. It does have 8 Layers but again you don't have to use them. I didn't mention it earlier because the sound is nowhere near as harsh and metallic as Hybrid 3 so it wouldn't be a direct alternative.

:shrug:

Try Fathom synth. It is a semi modular thingy but you can set up 3osc and two filters. The envelopes are awesome.

Www.fathomsynth.com
We jumped the fence because it was a fence not be cause the grass was greener.
https://scrubbingmonkeys.bandcamp.com/
https://sites.google.com/view/scrubbing-monkeys

Great ideas! Thanks

I just booted up Hybrid and played with it a bit. I think the closest in terms of sounds of the plugins I have is Largo. Of course, they don't sound the same, but, similar. Hybrid has kind of a "vintag" VA vibe to it though, with the filter and envelopes rather reminding me of Terratec Komplexer, although Hybrid is a bit brighter.

It's really not a bad synth, and I wonder how many people are simply disregarding it because it was sold for $1 for some time. :P It definitely has some weak points though. As I mentioned, the wavetable quality is quite bad, and it gets a bit muffled in the lower registers. Also, there's the issue with the unison rendering the synth monophonic, and some rather odd design choices. The effects are complete crap also, at least the ones I tried. Still, it really has potential, and, if AIR ever decided to release a Hybrid 4, it'll surely be a very interesting plugin.

Don't forget you can get Polyphonic Unison by using the Saw Multi and adjusting the Shape knob. Combine that with the Doubling on the Common page and it's possible to get very thick Unison sounds without using the dedicated Unison which is mono.

Spurred on by this thread I had a play with Hybrid earlier today and ended up with a nice project. It's not my go to synth or one I reach for all that often but it does have its own character which comes in handy when I'm looking for a particular flavor.

I'd love to see a Hybrid 4 but at this point I'm afraid we'll have to accept it's probably not going to happen. :?

I remembered why I didn't buy it last time it was on sale, it's the stupid iLok bullshit.

Yes unfortunately that's Hybrid's biggest drawback. It requires the iLok e-licenser, no Dongle though.

I've got enough plugins that require the e-licenser to make it worthwhile to install but for only one plugin it would be hard to justify.

Still for only $5 it's a great synth....

https://www.pluginboutique.com/products/1545

RexBanner wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 2:41 am
clipnotic wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 8:36 pm I bought Hybrid 3 for 4€ two days ago and if you add a wave shaper ... :tu: :D
I thought about buying it, but that GUI...
What's wrong with its GUI? It would be helpful if you told us...

It's too small for modern monitors/resolutions and quite frankly looks horribly outdated in my opinion (you can judge the look for yourself just by observing a screenshot).

Return to “Instruments”