Benefits of Hardware

Modular Synth design and releases (Reaktor, SynthEdit, Tassman, etc.)
RELATED
PRODUCTS

YMMV of course, my hardware investment is approaching maybe $15k, my software investment (over a decade+) easily exceeds $50k... A lot of those plugins are trying to do exactly the same thing as well,
how many different SSL compressor emulations does the average KVR member have? More than 1
I bet.

hardware interacts with quantum mechanics in a way that the abstraction layer of software never can. god's software quantizes continuously based on the users emotional and intellectual input so seamlessly that the end user is only rarely and then only fleetingly aware that the software even exists. it does so so smoothly and to such an extent that the user may maintain disbelief, thus avoiding premature enlightenment or unwanted existential crisis. if that is what he or she chooses, and thus chooses instead to remain a slave to the music.

traxxorx wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 6:25 am hardware interacts with quantum mechanics in a way that the abstraction layer of software never can. god's software quantizes continuously based on the users emotional and intellectual input so seamlessly that the end user is only rarely and then only fleetingly aware that the software even exists. it does so so smoothly and to such an extent that the user may maintain disbelief, thus avoiding premature enlightenment or unwanted existential crisis. if that is what he or she chooses, he or she chooses instead to remain a slave to the music.

i guess

idk

pekbro wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 4:42 am YMMV of course
Yeah, true.
A lot of those plugins are trying to do exactly the same thing as well,
how many different SSL compressor emulations does the average KVR member have? More than 1
I bet.
I may have one (from a bundle) but for the most part i have no interest in emulations. I like strange, innovative things. But i do support those who need ten or more, why not? a point of all this is to have fun.
gadgets an gizmos..make noise https://soundcloud.com/crystalawareness Restocked: 3/24
old stuff http://ww.dancingbearaudioresearch.com/
if this post is edited -it was for punctuation, grammar, or to make it coherent (or make me seem coherent).

traxxorx wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 6:25 am hardware interacts with quantum mechanics in a way that the abstraction layer of software never can. god's software quantizes continuously based on the users emotional and intellectual input so seamlessly that the end user is only rarely and then only fleetingly aware that the software even exists. it does so so smoothly and to such an extent that the user may maintain disbelief, thus avoiding premature enlightenment or unwanted existential crisis. if that is what he or she chooses, and thus chooses instead to remain a slave to the music.
Undoubtedly :)
gadgets an gizmos..make noise https://soundcloud.com/crystalawareness Restocked: 3/24
old stuff http://ww.dancingbearaudioresearch.com/
if this post is edited -it was for punctuation, grammar, or to make it coherent (or make me seem coherent).

pekbro wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 12:34 am You might think the advantage would be in the cost, IME, in the long run hardware is less costly. It's more upfront cost mostly. Add up the cost of that 1000+ high quality plugin collection and you would no doubt be surprised at the amount of hardware you could buy for the same cost.
I don't know... are we talking about modular synth hardware vs software or general home studio setups?

For modular hardware in order to have something at least decent and flexible I'm looking at $3000-$4000 racks on modulargrid.net
Not even talking about big racks with a lot of (good) modules, which goes way above that price-wise.

For software (VoltageModular or the upcoming VCV) you're fully set with $200-$300 ($500 if you want to go nuts)... with a big collection of modules which can be duplicated over and over.

Other than that...
HW has the better hand on sound quality and physical interaction... boh very important.
SW has the better hand on price (at least in my view), maintenance, size, recallability, automation, polyphony...

Yes, I edited this 6 times because my OCD is just as bad as my typing :party:
Last edited by Niowiad on Sun Jul 12, 2020 1:21 pm, edited 6 times in total.

traxxorx wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 6:29 ami guess
traxxorx wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 6:29 amidk
Yeah, looks like it. ;)

Niowiad wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 9:50 am [
For modular hardware in order to have something at least decent and flexible I'm looking at $3000-$4000 racks on modulargrid.net
Not even talking about big racks with a lot of (good) modules, which goes way above that price-wise.
this is true to an extent, it can be expensive, but theres plenty of cheaper options too depending on what you want from the machine :)
im probably around 10k across euro and frac, but the way i see it, id have only spent that money on weed or lego otherwise, and i already spend enough on those :)

They should just make modules out of weed so we can spend less and overcome choice paralysis :harp:

Anyway, that was the price range I found on small-mid sized racks on modulargrid.net but as you rightfully said, I believe it could be in some way cheaper by looking up companies which provide cheaper alternatives or maybe buying used.

My point was that (unless I'm missing something huge) as far as I can see, for comparable systems, HW stands in the order of thousands and SW stands in the order of hundreds unless you want to go "full-retard" and buy every single module of every modular softsynth.

Saying HW sounds better is understandable.
Saying the tactile experience in HW modular makes it way more engaging and fun is understandable.
Saying HW modular is also actually even cheaper than SW, starts feeling like a bit of a stretch :oops:

oh yeah the price isnt really comparable.
take the mutable instruments modules, available as direct ports in vcv for free.

im one of those who likes a combination of hardware and software, they are both musical instruments, the distinction is in how they are played only.
maybe a few years ago the sound was so different, software was inferior (when talking analogue circuit emus) but now, even for free (vcv) the sound quality is negligible once you mix and such, that both can stand side by side as different weapons in the arsenal.

Benefits of hardware? Well, the 2nd hand prices raises up over the last decade so i guess a benefit is there for many.. ..FTR i was searching for an Oberheim Matrix 1000 (white) and the prices are doubled and more over the last years. Same for many other stuff: An AKAI S-900 or 950 goes for very little money a few years ago as nobody wanted them anymore but looking the prices now it seems today things changes again. Strange or? Then again, if you think about not so much.
Intel® Core™ i9-9900K•Cubase 11•Presonus Eris E8 XT•Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 & Octopre•NI Kontrol S61 MK2•Stein­berg CC121•Synthesizers: Arturia Casio Korg Roland Yamaha

boot up time.
unless you monitor your hardware through the computer of course.

Niowiad wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 3:53 pm

My point was that (unless I'm missing something huge) as far as I can see, for comparable systems, HW stands in the order of thousands and SW stands in the order of hundreds unless you want to go "full-retard" and buy every single module of every modular softsynth.

That's all I meant, no doubt someone has done something like that... E.g. VM, Softube Modular, Reaktor etc, bought them all. You can include m4l and bitwigs the grid I think as well.

And definitely, you don't have to spend 3-4k to have a useful HW modular system. Even in eurorack,
tho there are systems like AE modular, where you can get a pretty complete modular system for
under $500...

Return to “Modular Synthesis”