Spire Reverb VST/AU replacement?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Shoot me if you want, but I actually really like the onboard reverb built into Spire. For some reason it sounds very musical and lush to me with minimal tweaking. Does anyone know of a VST/Au reverb that has a similar character?

I'm also a fan of Arts Acoustic, Valhalla VV, and the TAL family (particularly TAL 2). But to me, Spire's onboard reverb is the easiest to get good results out of fast, and works great for longer ambient tails. I'm guessing the rumored Reveal Sound Aeroverb will sound similar too.
"FriendZone"

Try Native Instruments Raum. I trie to replicate Spire's reverb with it a few months ago, and got reasonably close. Note though that it's very difficult to really nail a specific reverb's sound. Just like synthesizers, they all sound different, and some even vastly different to others.

BTW, there were rumours that Reveal Sound release Spire's reverb as a standalone, but, I guess that noone can really say it if that is really happening or not.

chk071 wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 10:59 am Try Native Instruments Raum. I trie to replicate Spire's reverb with it a few months ago, and got reasonably close. Note though that it's very difficult to really nail a specific reverb's sound. Just like synthesizers, they all sound different, and some even vastly different to others.

BTW, there were rumours that Reveal Sound release Spire's reverb as a standalone, but, I guess that noone can really say it if that is really happening or not.
Raum is a CPU hog but sounds lovely :tu: I never used spire but one of the best reverb for electronic music is Toraverb, in my opinion. D16 plugins are focused on electronic music, and you somehow can hear that on Toraverb ... not good for simulation rooms, but the sound is rich and lovely :love: (and it has built in ducking)
Last edited by audiot on Sat Jul 11, 2020 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

audiot wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 11:16 am Raum is a CPU hog but sounds lovely :tu: I never used spire but the best reverb for electronic music is Toraverb, in my opinion. D16 plugins are focused on electronic music, and you somehow can hear that on Toraverb ... not good for simulation rooms, but the sound is rich and lovely :love: (and it has built in ducking)
Interesting. I have Toraverb 2, and frankly never really checked it out. I'll do now though, as you made me interested. :)

chk071 wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 11:19 am
audiot wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 11:16 am Raum is a CPU hog but sounds lovely :tu: I never used spire but the best reverb for electronic music is Toraverb, in my opinion. D16 plugins are focused on electronic music, and you somehow can hear that on Toraverb ... not good for simulation rooms, but the sound is rich and lovely :love: (and it has built in ducking)
Interesting. I have Toraverb 2, and frankly never really checked it out. I'll do now though, as you made me interested. :)
The presets are meh :shrug: ... but there are a few ones that show it's character. Try the preset "Robbie Rich" if you upgraded to v2. I often used that as a basis for further tweakings (great on synths).

Edit: One of the easiest breaks/dispersals u can do in electronic music is to throw in a single sound with a short decay (a snare/clap f.e.) and than put a huuuuge reverb on it (often followed by an additional high pass EQ). I havent found a reverb that sounds as good as Toraverb in that case :love:

chk071 wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 10:59 am Try Native Instruments Raum. I trie to replicate Spire's reverb with it a few months ago, and got reasonably close. Note though that it's very difficult to really nail a specific reverb's sound. Just like synthesizers, they all sound different, and some even vastly different to others.

Thanks! I absolutely LOVED the Raum demo but haven't messed with it much. Will definitely take another look at it. Should also probably check out Valhalla Supermassive again too.
"FriendZone"

Spire's reverb is great for any synth sound where you don't want a perfect environment emulation. It's one of the few built-in reverbs I would use in a synth. Other reverbs that cover similar ground has been mentioned in this thread. The only other one I would add which can substitute for Spire's reverb and do much more is Relab LX480. It's my go-to for anything synth related as well as giving it a superb sense of space. My go-to for drum reverb is Seventh Heaven since it does mono-type reverb like nothing else I have ever heard. But yes, ArtsAcous, Raum, Toraverb2 and VVV can function similar to Spire, but if Spire's verb sound good on your synth sound (and if you don't need reverb as a send effect) then use it.

Return to “Effects”